• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS stock on an AR-30

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
Thanks to APA, there's finally an option for buttstock replacements for the AR-30. Unfortunately, my hopes of putting a PRS stock on my rifle came at a cost. First off, the holes in the adapter were drilled in the incorrect spot, so I had to ream the holes forward about 1/8" for it to fit the rifle. Then as I got the PRS installed, I noticed the required eye relief needed was ALOT. The scope is a NIghtforce NXS 5.5-22x56 and I had to mount the rings as far back as possible, and then mount the scope as far back in the rings as possible, in order to utilize the adjustable cheek piece. Even with all that done, I have to hang my cheek off the front of the cheek piece when at 22x power.
I have yet to take it to the range and see what improvements/regrets it offers, but hopefully it will work out.
IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

Re: PRS stock on an AR-30

WOW that looks AWESOME.

I never did like the ar30 buttstocks from the factory...i was always wondering if someone would make a replacement for them.

You are not alone in this experience. I went the same route and have the same results. The APA adapter allows us to move in a better direction, however, it doesn't solve the problem. It simply opens up more platform options to experiment with. Eye relief, cheek rest height and LOP continue to be big issues. In addition, paying the extra money for the PRS stock in order to have adjustable LOP and cheek rest height are wasted because the LOP is already too long with the butt plate ran all the way in. As well, the cheek piece is too low when ran all the way out. I've even considered putting a riser on my riser (from the Department of Redundancy Department).

I went with the AR10 stock because I felt I would need the clearance to deal with my bolt throw. That part was correct, but it opened up all the above mentioned issues. If one was to use the AR15 stock, the above issues might be mitigated, however, the bolt throw would probably become the problem child.

I would be interested in the outcome of using a standard A2 stock with a cheek riser (Karsten or others).

At the end of the day, Armalite dropped the ball with the design of the AR30 and nothing on the market seems to address all the issues very well. At best, a compromise might be achieved, but certainly not a well honed, precision result.

I wish Mcree, XLR or somebody else would come up with a complete engineered stock system made specifically for the AR30. I think every owner would change over. I know I would!

By the way, is that a Big Bastard brake? How does it compare to the factory brake?

I figure since I've been down this road I'll post my findings as well. I ordered the the magpul prs ar15 version and they accidently sent me the 308 version, so I did try it on the gun and it worked and all but didn't have enough cheek weld so I sent it back for the ar 15 version, got it back and it does work better. My cheek is a bit more comfortable. Oh and with the ar 15 version the bolt is still 2 1/2 inches away from the raised cheek piece. You'd be alot better with the ar 15 version as the cheek piece goes forward more!!

How does your trigger hand fit under there it does not have enough palm swell room?

I guess that setup will work! Honestly though I'm getting pretty good results with the ar 15 version magpul prs stock. The only thing any better is if the front of the stock and tube could be shortened 2 inches then it would be perfect!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish Mcree, XLR or somebody else would come up with a complete engineered stock system made specifically for the AR30. I think every owner would change over. I know I would! </div></div>

I am more than willing to build a specific chassis for the AR 30 but I just need an action so I can draw it up. We do not charge any extra for the custom inlet so it is just a matter of getting me a rifle.

I can also set this up for the AICS CIP length magazines or the factory mags.

It almost looks like some of your stocks might work as is may not connect to the adapter perfect but the tube if the same as a ar 15 extension tube might work

Yes, our tactical butt stock would work great with the OP's AR butt stock adapter. It would allow you to get the proper LOP so the eye relief was not bad and it would also allow the proper cheek weld height.

I'm on the fence with my magpul stock as I'm right at the edge at full power. It might be okay but isn't 100%. I wish I had seen your stocks as I probably would have tried it first, I didn't catch it until now. I just wish I could try it out first, but looks like it would work better!