• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Tactical 308

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Do many shoot PRS Tactical 308?

Little background: Used to shoot some F Class when I got out of the military. Got busy with kids and other things and now wanting to get into PRS Tactical. Always been a big hunter and love shooting. I'm not looking to climb a leaderboard, I just want to get out there and have fun, learn and get better each time, when time allows me to hit a match.

I currently have a 24" Criterion 1/10" twist in an XLR Element Chassis. I have a Vortex HST 4-16 on it currently. Had it setup this way the last few years just for fun, some target shooting and killing a few coyotes. Going to sell that Vortex and possibly get a Athlon Ares 4.5-30x56. I can get that for around $1k.

Used to shoot 178 AMAX over Varget in F Class with this barrel in a different stock. What bullets would you recommend? 175 SMK, 178 ELDM?

Again, just wanting to get into the sport using quite a bit of what I already have, but mainly upgrading the optic.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Many? Definitely not. You will be among a very small handful of shooters at any given match.

I'll let others who reload for .308 and shoot this division provide projectile advice.

Reactions: camocorvette
Nothing wrong with your equipment. I'd pick up a gamechanger or similar bag if you don't already have one. You'll probably find after a few matches that adding some weight to your chassis will also benefit you by helping to tame recoil and spot shots more effectively...a 308 definitely takes a bit more effort to drive well.

Tac class has a pretty small pool of people compared to open in general. Specific rules for Tac class are 308 or 223 cartridges only. For 30, max speed is 2800 fps and max bullet weight is 178 grains. Any of the 175 class bullets will work well. Going the 223 route, 77 grain max bullet weight with a cap of 3000 fps.

I agree with all of the above comments.

Before buying anything, get out and shoot a match or two. That's the most efficient way of finding out what is and isn't working for you in regards to gear.

A rifle, ammo, magazines, water and snacks are really all you need to get started. A rear bag of your preference and a barricade style bag are great to have as well. These are all personal preference, and it takes shooting a few matches to sort out what works best for you.

Shooters at PRS matches are generally very friendly, and people will be very happy to let you try out gear such as bags. Go with an open mind, and with the understanding that this is a new discipline that you won't be competitive in, especially with a .308. Going in with the expectation to have fun and opened to be challenged is a great mindset to go into it with.

Do many shoot PRS Tactical 308?

Little background: Used to shoot some F Class when I got out of the military. Got busy with kids and other things and now wanting to get into PRS Tactical. Always been a big hunter and love shooting. I'm not looking to climb a leaderboard, I just want to get out there and have fun, learn and get better each time, when time allows me to hit a match.

I currently have a 24" Criterion 1/10" twist in an XLR Element Chassis. I have a Vortex HST 4-16 on it currently. Had it setup this way the last few years just for fun, some target shooting and killing a few coyotes. Going to sell that Vortex and possibly get a Athlon Ares 4.5-30x56. I can get that for around $1k.

Used to shoot 178 AMAX over Varget in F Class with this barrel in a different stock. What bullets would you recommend? 175 SMK, 178 ELDM?

Again, just wanting to get into the sport using quite a bit of what I already have, but mainly upgrading the optic.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

I still shoot my .308 in Tac class from time to time. Good idea to change the scope but don't let it hold you back from going to a match now. Also if you don't have one get a good brake. It will help a lot with cutting recoil. Is your rifle threaded now?

Varget is still a great powder and what I use with my .308. The 178 ELD-M is a good choice. I shoot the 168 ELD-M. It can be shot a little faster and still has a better BC than the 175 SMK and older 178 AMAX. Have shot the 168 ELD-M to 1250 yards in matches without issue. If you still have AMAX then load them up and go to a match. They will work as I used to use those years back in matches also. But if buying bullets get some of the newer higher BC bullets like the ELD-Ms.

I still shoot my .308 in Tac class from time to time. Good idea to change the scope but don't let it hold you back from going to a match now. Also if you don't have one get a good brake. It will help a lot with cutting recoil. Is your rifle threaded now?

Varget is still a great powder and what I use with my .308. The 178 ELD-M is a good choice. I shoot the 168 ELD-M. It can be shot a little faster and still has a better BC than the 175 SMK and older 178 AMAX. Have shot the 168 ELD-M to 1250 yards in matches without issue. If you still have AMAX then load them up and go to a match. They will work as I used to use those years back in matches also. But if buying bullets get some of the newer higher BC bullets like the ELD-Ms.
Awesome! Good to hear! I am all out of 178 AMAX’s unfortunately. Wasn’t even aware they discontinued them until recently. Glad to see what you said about the 168 ELD-M’s as I bought quite a few earlier today.

I know many do that don't, but thought about shooting with my suppressor as I think I need a little more weight in the barrel. Might help me to read my impacts. If not, what brake would you recommend…Area 419?

Awesome! Good to hear! I am all out of 178 AMAX’s unfortunately. Wasn’t even aware they discontinued them until recently. Glad to see what you said about the 168 ELD-M’s as I bought quite a few earlier today.

I know many do that don't, but thought about shooting with my suppressor as I think I need a little more weight in the barrel. Might help me to read my impacts. If not, what brake would you recommend…Area 419?

Yup the 168 ELDs will serve you well. The Varget load shouldn't be too far off your 178 AMAX load.

You can try with a suppressor but it won't give as good of recoil reduction as a brake. Some use them though. Try it. As for forward weight you can just strap some weights to the side of the chassis as you can see in the video above. That way you can use your barrel now and with a can or brake will cut recoil more. Area 419 brake is good. I use a PVA Jet4 on mine. This is an older picture as I have a different stock and scope on it now but just for the brake pic.

Pigg River HAM 2020 (3).jpg

I would seriously consider loading 155 grain ELDM's.
The G1 BC is pretty solid, just a tad higher than the G1 for the 168 SMK.
You can get them flying pretty fast and reduce your recoil to boot.
The 168 ELDM has a higher BC, but the recoil is higher as well.
IMR 4064 is hard to beat for 168 class bullets
The Athlon ARES is a pretty good choice, but you may want to give the new Bushnell Match Pro ED a look as well.

The recoil with the 168 ELDs is not bad at all especially with a good brake and the higher BC is a bigger advantage. In the video above he is using 176 ATips and you can see the rifle barely moves.

I agree the Bushnell Match Pro ED wouldn’t be a bad choice if keeping price down or go a little higher than his $1000 mark and go Burris XTR IIIi 5.5-30.

If not, what brake would you recommend…Area 419?
I run the Ace brake, area 419 is great reduction but seems to me that it is harder on the shooter (over pressure), I also have run the heathen. The area 419 is excellent recoil reduction with high pressure. The Ace is very good recoil reduction with good pressure on the shooter, the heathen is the best of these three for shooter fatigue.
I just bought an axis works enabler, it came highly recommended from a friend I trust but I have no experience with it.
Links below in order I’d recommend

I love shooting Tac class in the PRS. I can stay pretty competitive in most matches with my 308 and that makes it fun to me.

Most of the top shooter run a heavy rig and I ran my normal range rifle that was much lighter than most. I will run a heavier rig this year though. Even though I ran last years rig in my last match.

Keep in mind you have a speed and bullet weight limit so that keeps you from running 155s fast or heavies. 178 is as high as you can go. 176 A-Tips are money for the game but they are pricy. You can do great with the 178 or 168 ELD-M.

I do like running cans but Rob is right, a brake serves most people best. All depends on you though.

If I can help in any way hit me up. It’s an addiction. I’ll keep running Tac and open to keep learning. There is a lot to learn from Tac imho

I run the Ace brake, area 419 is great reduction but seems to me that it is harder on the shooter (over pressure), I also have run the heathen. The area 419 is excellent recoil reduction with high pressure. The Ace is very good recoil reduction with good pressure on the shooter, the heathen is the best of these three for shooter fatigue.

That is a good thing about the PVA in that it doesn't send a lot of the blast back at the shooter. It has what they call a "blast shadow". It does work.

Reactions: Deltagunner00
Yup the 168 ELDs will serve you well. The Varget load shouldn't be too far off your 178 AMAX load.

You can try with a suppressor but it won't give as good of recoil reduction as a brake. Some use them though. Try it. As for forward weight you can just strap some weights to the side of the chassis as you can see in the video above. That way you can use your barrel now and with a can or brake will cut recoil more. Area 419 brake is good. I use a PVA Jet4 on mine. This is an older picture as I have a different stock and scope on it now but just for the brake pic.

View attachment 8083008

View attachment 8083008
I have some M Lok slots on the rail of my chassis and have thought about buying some weights. Going to get my load development first and shoot and see if it is needed.

I love shooting Tac class in the PRS. I can stay pretty competitive in most matches with my 308 and that makes it fun to me.

Most of the top shooter run a heavy rig and I ran my normal range rifle that was much lighter than most. I will run a heavier rig this year though. Even though I ran last years rig in my last match.

Keep in mind you have a speed and bullet weight limit so that keeps you from running 155s fast or heavies. 178 is as high as you can go. 176 A-Tips are money for the game but they are pricy. You can do great with the 178 or 168 ELD-M.

I do like running cans but Rob is right, a brake serves most people best. All depends on you though.

If I can help in any way hit me up. It’s an addiction. I’ll keep running Tac and open to keep learning. There is a lot to learn from Tac imho
Thanks! I’m looking forward to getting my 168 ELD-M’s delivered and developing a load.

What optic are you running on your 308 at matches?

Having just seen this thread I didn't even know PRS had a Tactical division.

I shot my first match last month under IPRF Limited Rules.

I'll enquire with PRS UK to see if they run the Tactical Division too as I'm shooting a PRS UK Match in April and June.

Edit: enquiry made, not enough people compete with .308 in UK to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Started shooting prs matches this summer with a classic 308 Remington 700 varmint 24” 1:10 twist, HS precision stock, and precision armament muzzle m41 brake. Currently weighs about 15lbs. I was running 175SMK at 2650 with CFE223, and made hits just over 1100. Lots of practice and dry fire and I got up to a %60 finish at my last match. Can’t wait for this season to start!

Two upgrades this year are an XLR Envy pro with full weight kit. Help with recoil and spotting misses. And I’m switching to the new Sierra 169 HPBT and running them at 2700. Higher BC and velocity and a great price. I’m still at the point I can’t really shoot the difference between Sierra and Berger.

Everyone I’ve met so far has been pretty awesome and this sport is stupid amounts of fun. Just go shoot a match and have a good time. You don’t even know what you don’t know yet 😀

Oh, and a DFAT! Absolute must have.

Good luck 👍🤘

Awesome to hear and thanks for the good luck! My first match is Sunday. Got a pretty good DOPE last weekend shooting 168 ELDM's at 2680.

I have looked at the DFAT. Sounds like you are a big fan of that system. I have been on the fence about them and wasn't sure if I should buy one or not.

Reactions: camocorvette
DFAT really is super valuable to improving and practice. Probably the biggest help I get from the DFAT is getting into position, target acquisition, and trigger break. That’s the part that really killed me when I was starting out. To work on it I do a lot of one shot resets from various positions using a little giant ladder and a DFAT card in the garage. Ex. Start a stage, get into position, find target, break shot. Now reset and do it again. Standing, high kneeling, low kneeling, porthole through the ladder rungs. Not too much, but maybe 30 minutes a night leading up to a weekend match. The repetition worked great at an actual match cause I could flow through the motions and each position just feels like a reset I’ve practiced. It also teaches you little things you don’t realize you should know. Like gear management, what goes in what hand, did you dial or raise scope caps? All good little learning experiences.

Have fun! Sport is addicting!

Reactions: Modoc
I hope that this isn't necro-posting. I'd love to continue a Tactical division .308 discussion.

I'm diving off into precision riflery and shooting matches with a .308 as well. I see that I need to learn more about what's going on with 168s and 175s, by maker, design, and BC.

It's great to hear about the DFAT. My backyard has 200m of field to a treeline, and I'm planning on using that, but the DFAT and a ladder sure sound like a smart thing- and indoors, too, for this summer heat.

I hope that this isn't necro-posting. I'd love to continue a Tactical division .308 discussion.

I'm diving off into precision riflery and shooting matches with a .308 as well. I see that I need to learn more about what's going on with 168s and 175s, by maker, design, and BC.

It's great to hear about the DFAT. My backyard has 200m of field to a treeline, and I'm planning on using that, but the DFAT and a ladder sure sound like a smart thing- and indoors, too, for this summer heat.

I've been shooting 308 this year in tactical.... without a brake but am rebarreling after next weekend's match.

If you intend to stay with 308 make sure you at minimum have a brake and then add weight to the rifle to help minimize its movement. It might not seem like a big deal until you have varying winds and cannot see your misses and as such can't adjust your wind call during the stage.

My rifle shoots 175-178gr very, very well at 2760-2770fps which is a very spicy load (especially without a brake). I think if I was going to say in tactical I'd look into reloading a high BC bullet in the 150gr range right up to 2800fps. Your distances are known at matches and a 150-155gr @ 2800fps is only about 10% behind a 175-178gr in windage when reloaded to 2600-2700fps but you gain about 10-15% less recoil energy which I think is more important because again if you can't see your misses you are going to struggle.

Any form of dryfiring is going to help you in any shooting sport, especially here since you need to be able to move and build positions quickly on a stage. Learning off the clock is best haha.

Reactions: NPB
Yep! I don't know if I'll stay with 308 or not over the very long term, but I do plan to shoot it extensively before any final decision. As a new guy to the precision space, I want to learn how to manage recoil and make wind calls, and 308 will force me to learn those skills. I'm also not reloading (yet), so the broadly available factory match ammo is very attractive.

Regarding all the division talk, I'd shoot 308 no matter the division, and I also think it's cool that Tactical is a division that exists. I am going to have a brake, and the gun itself will be a ARC CDG in an ACC Elite with a Proof 24", so it's going to be a bit hefty.

My competition history has mostly been the clay shotgun sports, some USPSA/Steel Challenge, with a bit of 3-gun/2-gun tossed in. I do like how most shooting sports try to have "Tactical" or "Practical"-minded divisions, but fighting over what is and what isn't gets un-fun. for me quickly. Of course, I haven't even shot a match yet, and certainly my rifle has zero business being called "Tactical", and I'm looking forward to shooting and competing with it kind of no matter what.

Reactions: Modoc and JayjayUK
Yep! I don't know if I'll stay with 308 or not over the very long term, but I do plan to shoot it extensively before any final decision. As a new guy to the precision space, I want to learn how to manage recoil and make wind calls, and 308 will force me to learn those skills. I'm also not reloading (yet), so the broadly available factory match ammo is very attractive.

Regarding all the division talk, I'd shoot 308 no matter the division, and I also think it's cool that Tactical is a division that exists. I am going to have a brake, and the gun itself will be a ARC CDG in an ACC Elite with a Proof 24", so it's going to be a bit hefty.

My competition history has mostly been the clay shotgun sports, some USPSA/Steel Challenge, with a bit of 3-gun/2-gun tossed in. I do like how most shooting sports try to have "Tactical" or "Practical"-minded divisions, but fighting over what is and what isn't gets un-fun. for me quickly. Of course, I haven't even shot a match yet, and certainly my rifle has zero business being called "Tactical", and I'm looking forward to shooting and competing with it kind of no matter what.
I chose a .308 for pretty much exactly the same reasons as you. But now I'm quite enjoying the extra challenge!

I've shot a couple of 6mm Dasher set ups now and I was shocked at how little the rifles were moving under recoil.

For now I'm definitely staying .308, I knight even get a custom barrel spun up in .308 instead of using my AIs factory barrel too.

Reactions: NPB
Alot of newer shooters come in with this mindset. They don't know what they don't know and think that going to a 308 is going to help them. In fact, its going to hinder their development and slow down their progress. Seen it happen with about 8-10 new shooters and every single one of them within a year is like, fuck this, im building a dasher or BR or GT. Or they quit.

When you are learning, especially something like PRS with all the rules, nuance and quirks, its already tough sledding with the best gear. The top shooters have gotten SO good, that the difference between them and the newer guys is wider than it has every been. There is so much to learn and pick up to lessen your learning curve, that fighting gear and equipment is not something you want to be doing. Hard to share data and calls with squad when you are running a completely different class bullet.

For an experienced guy who likes to be challenged or someone wanting to get better at hunting or more well rounded for LE work/ Mil guy PRS is a great game to sharpen some skills. But its already hard enough for a new guy and you are more likely to quit as you wont enjoy yourself hitting significantly less steel than someone shooting a much more forgiving caliber.

There are less than a handfull of TAC shooters in the entire PRS who can even crack top 10 at a national match. Sometimes they do, many times they don't. Alot of those guys are also getting paid to shoot TAC (AMU, USMC or other service teams). Its their job to shoot. The top handful would be winning or fighting for podiums if they were using a 6mm variant. These are all guys with outstanding shooting skills and fundamentals.

A new guy, is not going to have that, and needs all the help they can get so they can focus on a few things to improve instead of being overwhelmed.

Reactions: Rippey715
I'm still new to this all but I can say that 308 hinders your ability to learn wind call and anything else in this game since it knocks you off target and you can't see your misses. I'm not saying don't shoot your 308 but will make finishing well difficult, especially with shifting wind.

Reactions: DLS
I'm still new to this all but I can say that 308 hinders your ability to learn wind call and anything else in this game since it knocks you off target and you can't see your misses. I'm not saying don't shoot your 308 but will make finishing well difficult, especially with shifting wind.

That is an issue with your rifle set up and how you are running the rifle. A good brake and some practice and it’s not hard to watch impacts with a .308. You said you are new so keep practicing but do proper practice to impart good habits and not bad.

That is an issue with your rifle set up and how you are running the rifle. A good brake and some practice and it’s not hard to watch impacts with a .308. You said you are new so keep practicing but do proper practice to impart good habits and not bad.
I agree.. I don't really miss any impacts now. Just took a few matches/Training sessions and it's fine.

Reactions: Rob01
How was your experience? Thinking of using my 26" 1" straight 1:10 twist running 175 or 178gr loaded around 2750 fps.

How was your experience? Thinking of using my 26" 1" straight 1:10 twist running 175 or 178gr loaded around 2750 fps.
It was great! I only used my 308 for 3 matches, just to be sure I liked it. I was hooked immediately! It’s a blast!

I put together a 6BR and have used it the last couple of matches.