• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report PRVI 308 168 or 175g match

ddw736

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
Can you guys please tell me your experiences with the Prvi 308 match 168 or 175g. I was thinking about buying some because of the price, but I would like to hear some range reports. Accuracy, reliability etc... The ammo will be shot out of my AR10 SASS

Re: PRVI 308 168 or 175g match

The 168 is rated at 2608fps and the 175 is rated at 2591fps.

I read somewhere the BC for the 168's is .480, but didn't see anything for the 175's.

If you can find each bullets BC you can plug them into JBM and get a ballpark idea of how they will perform against each other. Another thing to consider is barrel twist. I *think* (could be wrong) yours should be a 1:10 twist so you should be good to go for either weight bullet.

My guess is that since the 175's are coming out only slightly slower, their no doubt higher BC will probably prove for them to be the winner at anything medium to long range.

I have no experience with either... just thought I'd gather some numbers for you.

BC is .496 on the 175's.

I actually just received some of these by mistake instead of stuff I ordered. So I did some research and most people agree that it doesn't shoot too well. I have read 10 or so reviews of them throughout the internet forums and I think only one person was getting <1moa , most people were getting between 1-2 MOA and 1 person was getting 4! So it's good ammo to just shoot around, but not too good accuracy wise.

yup, got about 200 rounds of the 168 for a good price, decent blasting ammo, good for gongs, but only was holding about 1.5 groups at 100 yards.

My experience has been the same as beepy. It's cheap enough to plink with, but I haven't seen much under 1.5" @ 100 yards. Most 5 shot groups ended up in the 1.5"-2" range.

I bought some to see for myself but havent had the time to test them yet. That price sure is enticing!

Judas Priest! I was averaging .75" at 100 yards with the 150 grain soft points! I shot about 100 of them and now I reload the cases and they have been very accurate. In fact my pet load is a Prvi case, cci primer, 42.6 grain's Varget, and 168gr Combined Tech Nosler BT at the lands = one hole group's below .3" from the bench with sand bags at 100 yards.

I will be at a 1050 yard shoot on sunday, and if I get the chance I will try out the Prvi 175's I have. If I do, I'll report back!

First off I know this is a bit old but I felt I should mention something here.

Stay away from this ammo. I bought 140 rounds of the 168 to shoot in a match and it shot so so (308win). I had 2 that the bolt stuck a little bit but nothing terrible. Well I reloaded it I came into trouble.

178amax
42.5 varget
Prvi Match brass (tumbled, flash hole deburred, size, etc...)
Win Large Rifle primer
Savage 10fp

Now let me say this I was very very precise in these loads to the point where they were developed with powder trickling by hand to get them right on the money. You reloaders know how it is chasing the precision round
smile.gif
. I have done this same load in my Federal brass and it has been just fine and runs well I was just looking to use some "Match Brass" vs basic Federal.

This weekend the first round blew the primer clean out of the brass. Bit shocked I thought maybe is was something rare but the next one did the same thing. Now these were not issue that caused me to have a stiff/stuck bolt handle or anything so I was perplex. This would be the second firing of this brass as it was bought new through Cabela's about a year ago.

I have come to find that the primer hole are to large. When you primed the brass it felt right and seemed like it was in there very tight. Now it seems this has been a issue all over the internet with these rounds. The kicker is that is bent the ejector a little bit so now I have to replace that and the carbon froze up the extractor and when I bumped the extractor with a small screw driver to get it back in place (I should have known better then to do this in the field)the extractor came out and the 1/8" detent ball went flying. So being in the desert I was lucky (those of you who have shoot in the AZ desert would know) in that I found the extractor but lost the detent ball.

So better to be safe then sorry and now I am going to have to scrap them out and need to find another set of brass to use.

will shoot decent...can be reloaded to good effect but like mentioned above, loose primer pockets can be expected, may try wolf primers or perhaps using a sealant?

I am new to long range and bought some Prvi 175 match for a new rifle. I am shooting a Savage 10 FCP HS Precision. It has a 24" barrel and 1 in 10 twist.

Yesterday, I shot four rounds over the chrono with an average of 2699 FPS. Extreme spread of 52 FPS. High was the 4th round at 2722 and Low was the first round at 2670. Temps were in the upper 80's.

Off a bipod and rear bag, I am getting 1 MOA or better to 300 meters so far with a 10x scope.

I'm happy with the ammo and saving the brass for when I start to hand load.

The 168 I have shot have been relatively clean and decently accurate. A 13 inch steel plate at 450 yds I can hit consistently with an old 700 pss and 10x hensolt. The only problem I had was a couple of the boxes had rounds in them that had gotten bumped or something where the bullet was pushed into the case.

Can do about 1 moa with the ammo.

Good for sight in before running a more expensive off the shelf ammo. But I keep a supply of various different off the shelf match ammo, simply because some guns like a certain factory loads alot more than others. Not to mention I usually buy a case at a time to ensure that it is the same lot number.

i have had 1 almost "blown" primer in 223 and rounds in several other calibers have shown carbon leakage around the primer and case necks. all in excellent rifles almost new. accuracy 1.5-2.5