• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Prvi Partizan .308 168gr HPBT Match

perazzisc3

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Sunrise, Fl
I have a FN SPR A1A and I decided to try these shells. When closing the bolt with this ammo it is little tight. Does anyone know if they are slighty longer than the US made ammo or what may cause this.Is it safe to continue shooting them. I shot 3 shells, but am concerned about shooting any more.

Re: Prvi Partizan .308 168gr HPBT Match

If memory is correct slightly harder to extract than usual

I have the same brand of ammo in 7mm-08. When I've tried them it is also hard to close the bolt, far different than the other 5 or 6 brands I have shot in that rifle. Horrible accuracy with the Partizan, too. Want to buy some that I have left?
laugh.gif

None of the 308 Prvi has shot well in anything I've tried. The 9.3x62 and the 375h&h were a whole different story. YMMV.

I have used the 175 out of a bolt 700 with good results.
I have not tried the 168, but have read online it is made in different factory than 175.
perhaps this is part of the reason?

I had one piece of this ammo that would not chamber in mg RRA LAR8 due to a case overall length issue. Never before had that problem with a piece of factory ammo.

I have had trouble getting consistant groups with the Prvi 168 Match. Five-shot groups typically open to 1.5 MOA with a rifle that'd shoot around 0.8 MOA with Fed GMM.

I got a couple boxes of the 175s to try out in my new 700 .308
On some of them, the bolt closes as smooth as anything else, but on others it is noticeably tighter when closing.

I took one of the cartridges that was rather hard to close the bolt on and pulled the bullet, just to see if that had anything to do with it. It was just as hard to close on the empty brass. I guess it is just too long.. Hopefully OK to shoot..

I have shot this ammo and had not so great results. With a stick that normally shoots 0.7 MOA I could barely scrap a group of 1.5-1.7MOA with this stuff. I also checked a few different rounds and found different OAL from the same 20 rd box. But you can't beat the price if your just using it in a deer rifle!

i have a bunch of that same ammo and have noticed that same thing from time to time. i have also had EXTREME accuracy variations from batch to batch. i had some old boxes of 168gr that shot almost as good as the fggm 168, and some new boxes that opened up to almost 2 inches on some groups. i must have just got lucky with the older stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: perazzisc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a FN SPR A1A and I decided to try these shells. When closing the bolt with this ammo it is little tight. Does anyone know if they are slighty longer than the US made ammo or what may cause this.Is it safe to continue shooting them. I shot 3 shells, but am concerned about shooting any more. </div></div>

I have a lot of experience with this cartridge. The standard deviation is beyond that of anything that is match grade. Contrary to popular belief, the bullet is not Sierra. In fact, the bullet is unique and manufactured by PPU. The brass is great for reloading. Once fired it blows crap all down your barrel and turns it into a cesspool. In a 1:12 barrel the bullet drifts way too much to the left. So, don't use to zero rifle and then use some other type of good factory ammo. If all you are going to use is the PPU ammo than the best you can expect is 1.5 MOA. Nevertheless, I had days where the planets were aligned and this ammo shot damn good out to 550 yards. I have since moved on to better factory ammo as well as reloading so I have no use for it any longer. It is the poor man's better than plinking ammo. Remember, this is a Russian manufactured product. They can make a ton of it for you at a great price. Also, I never had a single misfire out of several hundred rounds from several different lots and this meets the definition of Russian quality control. Hope this helps.

I've had good results with 168gr out of my factory Rem. 5R, also my boxes say made in Serbia??