• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA barrels

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
any good? i get conflicting opinions/experience stuff about them. looking at 1 with anderson lower psa barrel. not too sure but starting research.

How much are you looking to spend? PSA makes a good low end build, but ther are better option.

there are lots of options

1K,likely not much more. less= better. i have a pretty good idea of the price ranges and am, being very cautious about local 'home builds". i am not asking about the quality of their complete rifles but about their barrels specifically.

Go ahead and buy something affordable, learn what you like and then start buying Gucci parts. This won't be your only AR, I promise.

have been thru several and retain a high end build (sub MOA) that i can't afford to match now. looking for a quality but "bargine " back up and/or a 10-same deal. being REAL carfull about 10s and have NO intention of "doing it myself".

Hit or miss ( if you will pardon the pun ) accuracy wise.... that comment is not a slight on DC Machines barrels ( PSA's barrel manufacturer ) at all... but the people putting the barrels into the upper can negate the barrels accuracy potential. ( see last comment )

Some of mine are 5rd sub MOA from the factory, with the right ammo... others are perfectly acceptable
After tuning the upper to barrel fit , I have had very satisfying results... lapping the receiver face and Loctiting in the barrel.

Precision increased with various factory loads, from a little finessing on my half.

Durability wise , GTG.. bores look good, chambers are good... I guess I am saying they are pretty good for mass produced barrels, especially at the price.

So, Perfectly suitable for the bargain price...and given that price point, they don't have the finessing other ( more expensive ) barrel manufacturers can do.
So, IMHO a decent barrel break-in and cleaning can help.

The barrels are produced on modern equipment, and many many hundreds a day are churned out, ...
They are typically installed in PSA OEM products, and the personal installing the barrel can adversely effect its performance.

Bear in mind, you are buying a budget mined product, very functional, but a little added attention from you can produce great results.

So the foundation of the PSA parts is GTG. If I were buying 10ea identical AR15's... it is hard to beat PSA's cost.

A little checking of nuts and bolts, and I would feel quite comfortable.

I have numerous PSA / DC Machine barrels, ranging from .223 Wylde / 5.56, 9MM, 308, 6.5CM. ... the only one that let me down , accuracy wise, turned out to have a loose barrel nut.

Last edited:
thanks for all that. my guess was that the barrels are OK as mass produced. the human element was my concern and that can be a big +/-. remington and tikka being examples from opposite ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: bfoosh006