• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes PSA: Deciphering the Schmidt Bender codes

longshot2000

Sniper's Hide Dealer: CHARLIE'S
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2017
    Northern VA
    charliescustomclones.com
    Okay, so many know this, and perhaps this is documented somewhere else, but for the sake of education and Q&A, I am presenting some of the codes that we see on the S&B scopes, pertaining to the PM-II series. Earlier, S&B offered many different options, before considering reticle. In the last 3 years, S&B has consolidated many options, where a given scope has a certain minimum set of features, and others are optional. The following list might help:
    1. ST – Single Turn: This option gives, perhaps a 17 Mils, or 40 MOA of travel
    2. DT – Double Turn: This option provides double what the ST options provides
    3. MTC – More Tacticle Clicks: technically, a more pronounced click at ever 10 .1 mils, but it also has come to suggest a more compact turret
    4. MT – multi-turn: This is a new feature in late 2017
    5. ZS – Zero Stop
    6. LT – Locking turrets (lockable)
    7. LP – parallax and illuminated. If you see LP, you know there is both. If you see: P, it means no illumination, but Parallax adjustment.
    8. CW /CCW– turn of the turret. In the US, CCW, or counter-clock-wise is the norm, but in Europe, CW is standard.
    9. CC – close combat mode (short dot)
    10. FD – flash dot (short dot)
    11. CT– capped turret, for the windage
    In addition, in 2017, there are shorter turrets and high turrets, and one needs to be careful, as there is not a specific designation for those turrets. I have presented, below, a description, out of the 2017 catalog that might be helpful.
    SB_2017_turrets_Page_1.jpg
    SB_2017_turrets_Page_1.jpg

Attachments

• SB_2017_turrets_Page_2.jpg
      SB_2017_turrets_Page_2.jpg
      163.5 KB · Views: 206
    Very informative and a good quick reference/reminder. Thanks for posting!

A few more.

LM > Aluminum Tube without a Rail

LMC > Aluminum Tube with Convex Rail

BDC > Bullet Drop Compensator

BDC H > Bullet Drop Compensator Elevation
    ("H" abbreviation for Höhe = German, height / elevation)

BDC HS > Bullet Drop Compensator Elevation & Windage
    Höhe
    "S" abbreviation for Seite / Seitlich = German for lateral, or from the side

PM II > Police Marksman II series

- 2 > Ocular Image Plane

These illustrate the common question as to differences in color options. Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 7.51.28 AM.png

Last edited:
    Similar to the legend portion of this sticky but I also like the info on the turrets. S&B does not make it easy to decipher all their codes

thanks for the support. Happy to help, and good to see the other comments. I was getting confused, as I was seeing multiple types of "MTC" and other, and the actual catalog helped in the descriptions, but unfortunately, the nomenclature did not change between several of the turrets in 2017. I suspect their "VIN" like model numbers take it even further. Leave it to the Germans. I think I see the same sort of "it is understood" when I visit the Mercedes showroom... The cars gon't realize that 5 scopes can buy a nice ride. :(

[In addition, in 2017, there are shorter turrets and high turrets, and one needs to be careful, as there is not a specific designation for those turrets. I have presented, below, a description, out of the 2017 catalog that might be helpful.

Keep in mind that the shorter turrets are exclusive to the ultra short models and the newer 5-45.

- MT is not really a new feature, MTII is
    - DT can mean different things in different scopes, look is same but excact size and adjustment ranges are not
    - MTC/LT abbreviation can mean 4 different elevation turrets, 8 if CW/CCW is taken into account
    - Focal planes are marked "1.BE" and "2.BE". Usually in PMII:s, no marking = FFP

Reactions: hawk21