• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA - Fit between Ruger American Ranch and Boyd's Pro Varmint stock

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
Long story short, I have a Ruger American Ranch (chambered in 45 Raptor...-ish) that I dropped into a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. In a lot of ways, the fit is great... the barrel channel is correctly shaped (if somewhat odd looking with the wide fore end of the Pro Varmint and the relatively lightweight contour of the RAR barrel), etc..., but something that I wanted to point out is that the interface between the stock and the action is kinda goofy in the tang area, as seen below. Looking at the tang its self (in the red circles), you can see that it sits noticeably proud of the stock. I originally thought that it may be a situation where the action wasn't sitting low enough in the stock, but a quick look at the ejection port and overpressure relief hole (in the green circles) show that the action is sitting as low as possible without relieving the stock in those areas. I also considered that the action was too far back in the stock, but the inlet around the safety (orange circles) would then have an odd gap, not to mention the locations of the V-blocks used to interface the action to the stock. Additionally, looking at the inlet for the bolt handle (blue circle), there's just not that much room to move forward before there's interference in that location.

In any event, given the nature of this particular rifle for me I can certainly live with it, even if it isn't ideal; the issue is purely aesthetic. IMO, the easiest way for it to be rectified on Boyd's end would be if the inletting could be moved "forward" by perhaps .100 or so. Like I said, not a deal-breaker for me, but I just wanted to throw the knowledge out to the SH community so others know what to expect if they want to combine a RAR and a Pro Varmint stock.

Side view (mod).jpg

Rear 3-4 view (mod).jpg

Necro post but….I was specifically looking for this combo.

Thanks for sharing