• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear PSA: Magnetospeed issue

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    Edit: please see further post for how this was resolved and handled by Magnetospeed.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what happened to my magnetospeed and what I believe the cause is.

I was getting funny readings and then I just got an error message "connect bayo" ect....

After contacting magnetospeed support, and getting a generic trouble shooting type response, I started looking at it closely. The bayonet was fine, so I took apart the display unit and plugged in the cord so I could look at the cord jack connection. I quickly found that the jacks solder connections to the board were broken. Obviously this is my issue. I would have just repaired the connection but because of how it's made, you can't get to the solder connections on the Jack after the display unit is assembled. I just ordered a new display unit......

I think this probably happened because of my use of the mount that allows the bayonet to be mounted on a arca rail and not touch the barrel. This mount also has a spot for the display unit to clip into so that it too is on the mount. (Which means it gets impact from every shot fired). I feel sure that the repeated impact is what caused the brake, though it does seem odd that the only thing holding that jack in place is the solder connection. Seems like a really good spot for some epoxy....... but it was never designed to be mounted on a rifle and endure that impact either, and I don't want to be unfair.

The magnetospeed V3 is a great tool, but don't put your display unit in the mount that attaches to the rifle, the display can't take rifle recoil.

Last edited:
    I recently started getting that message on my Sporter. 2 calls and 1 email to Magnetospeed with no response. My display stays on the bench, so recoil wouldn't be my issue, but I'm going to take it apart to see what's up. Thanks

Just thought I'd let everyone know what happened to my magnetospeed and what I believe the cause is.

I was getting funny readings and then I just got an error message "connect bayo" ect....

After contacting magnetospeed support, and getting a generic trouble shooting type response, I started looking at it closely. The bayonet was fine, so I took apart the display unit and plugged in the cord so I could look at the cord jack connection. I quickly found that the jacks solder connections to the board were broken. Obviously this is my issue. I would have just repaired the connection but because of how it's made, you can't get to the solder connections on the Jack after the display unit is assembled. I just ordered a new display unit......

I think this probably happened because of my use of the mount that allows the bayonet to be mounted on a arca rail and not touch the barrel. This mount also has a spot for the display unit to clip into so that it too is on the mount. (Which means it gets impact from every shot fired). I feel sure that the repeated impact is what caused the brake, though it does seem odd that the only thing holding that jack in place is the solder connection. Seems like a really good spot for some epoxy....... but it was never designed to be mounted on a rifle and endure that impact either, and I don't want to be unfair.

The magnetospeed V3 is a great tool, but don't put your display unit in the mount that attaches to the rifle, the display can't take rifle recoil.
    i have never had this problem happen even when using my v3 + weiser precision mount on a 300 Norma.

Reactions: Magnetospeed
    I just had the same error message a few weeks back. Emailed magneto and he mentioned the cable could be the culprit. I found an old monster brand cable in the junk drawer and tried it. No more errors. Works perfect again. I thought for sure my bayo had gone tits up but it was an easy fix.

Please check your email. I replied back to you about 5 minutes ago.

For everyone else:
    The V3 display has been attached to/near Barrett .50cal M107s and M82A1, .300NM, .338LM, and even M2 HB .50cal Machine guns. I have personally had it on .338LM, .50cal, and .375CT with no issues.

Please check your email. I replied back to you about 5 minutes ago.

For everyone else:
    The V3 display has been attached to/near Barrett .50cal M107s and M82A1, .300NM, .338LM, and even M2 HB .50cal Machine guns. I have personally had it on .338LM, .50cal, and .375CT with no issues.
    Thank you, recieved and replied.

My post was not intended to disparage magnetospeed or the design of the V3 display unit, nor was I suggesting that there is some widespread issue, or make any negative assertions about magnetospeed speed customer service. It's a great tool as I said. I can buy any crono I want to and I choose a magnetospeed.

That said, I don't feel that anything in my post is not accurate. I don't know what all testing you guys have done and I'm sure the testing you did showed good results. You have a good product that I like so much, I just bought a new one..

The testing that I did showed me that putting that display in my mount as I had been doing is a bad idea, due to the potential torque that can be put on the Jack repeatedly over time by rifle fire and pulling on the cord. Therefore, I won't be putting my new display unit back in that mount. If it is sitting beside the gun, it won't get the impact, and will also be able to just move a little if the cord is pulled on vs the jacks soldering points having to withstand and endure that force.

Reactions: Magnetospeed
    A SOP that we use in the broadcast industry is to always put a strain relief on every cable, so any pull on the cable does not put strain on the connector. You could use a little piece of hook/loop with one side attached to the display unit, make a little loop of cable and secure it. Some gaffer's tape would work as just as well.

A SOP that we use in the broadcast industry is to always put a strain relief on every cable, so any pull on the cable does not put strain on the connector. You could use a little piece of hook/loop with one side attached to the display unit, make a little loop of cable and secure it. Some gaffer's tape would work as just as well.
    Yeah I usually loop an inch or so up in a rubber band to provide that function on electrical items like that. That's a good tip.

I'm going to take the little display holder completely off the mount and just set the display beside me like you normally would, I think that will solve my issue. Once the warranty period ends with the new display unit I will probably super glue or put a dab of silicone or something on there too but just setting the display beside me should keep me from having any further issues.

Some emails that have been sent to the tech support email have been moved to spam/junk folder. Especially if there was a picture or attachment.
    Please email me directly: [email protected]

If you call again, please leave a voicemail. If no voicemail isn't left, I don't respond or call the number back. I'm in the office until 4pm CST today.
    You went super prompt and helpful when I contacted you a few months ago. Great service.

Nah it's the connection inside the unit that broke. The cable doesn't really touch the outer housing of the display.
    I think he was referring to the rail mounted gizmo that holds the display. Some have a hole for the cable to pass through, and the cable bumping the inside of the hole could be causing strain on the connector.

I think he was referring to the rail mounted gizmo that holds the display. Some have a hole for the cable to pass through, and the cable bumping the inside of the hole could be causing strain on the connector.
    Oh ok. Mine had a very large hole so the cable doesn't touch it I don't think. I'm on a job site so I don't have it with me but I will post some pics when I get back to clarify. I just didn't want to make an issue for the mount manufacturer either. Trying to be fair and not be "that guy". The magnetospeed folks have been VERY good to deal with thus far and I'm still doing that, so just want to be fair and not say something that comes off differently than intended.

Reactions: Bean
    This is the Jack without the housing and then a pic of just the housing showing the hole where the plug goes through the housing. I don't think the plug touches the housing when plugged in but I'd have to re assemble to be sure. There are some marks where I tried to get a small soldering iron in there as well as some super glue where I attempted to glue it in place so the connection would be maintained but it didn't work.

Attachments

• 20211202_162718.jpg
      20211202_162718.jpg
      318.5 KB · Views: 75
    • 20211202_162711.jpg
      20211202_162711.jpg
      221.8 KB · Views: 77
    • 20211202_162859.jpg
      20211202_162859.jpg
      206.9 KB · Views: 70
    Magentospeed will takes care anyone. My unit was bad after 2 years, they honor me with their warranty. Long as your don’t damage the bayo with your bullet. Great company Great people.

Magentospeed will takes care anyone. My unit was bad after 2 years, they honor me with their warranty. Long as your don’t damage the bayo with your bullet. Great company Great people.
    Yeah I was kind of waiting to officially hear back after I sent them some screen shots from my venmo where I bought it used. I didn't ever even ask about warranty because I bought it used on here . They actually replied back to me after I told them I already ordered a new display from them, saying if I could just get them proof of purchase (knowing it was bought from an individual on here) they would warranty it. Pretty damn cool right there!

Reactions: KeithStone
    Thought it was the right thing to do for me to post how Magnetospeed (Nielsen-Kellerman) handled this situation...

I never even asked for them to warranty my display unit for 2 reasons.

1- I bought it used, not from them or a vendor they sell to, but an individual here on the PX.

2- The mount isn't their product, nor do they make or sell a product that is similar.

I emailed them initially to see if they had any ideas as to what the issue may be or of they could repair the unit for me, then after they replied with the common trouble shooting issue type stuff, I found the problem.

I continued emailing back and forth and in that time I went ahead and ordered a new display unit. After I had done, Ryan told me that if I could get him a proof of purchase of some kind, that they would warranty the unit and send me a new one.

So now I had one display that I paid for, and another on the way that I didn't pay for. I then inquired about sending back the one I paid for, and Ms. Ross made that very easy for me to do.

So I'm going to be sending it to them tomorrow and they will refund my whole amount.

The warranty unit they sent even came with new lithium batteries by the way.

It's pretty damn hard to beat this treatment, and I really do appreciate it! Imo, they didn't have to warranty it at all, but they did and it's a big deal to me. It's not the money, it's the integrity that I value. As I said before, I can afford any chrono I want, and I choose a Magnetospeed and would again every single day and twice on Sunday!