• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA PA10 (308) Experiment

Yes it is.

Now to just decide on what to do with my PA10. Do I try to tame the recoil or sell

308 has recoil, it just does.

A brake will help, so will an adjustable gas block, , heavy buffer, rubber buttpad, you can tailor your handloads to have lower recoil as well.

If I remember right you're an older guy with a bad back and shoulder I would suggest sticking with 223, it's so much easier to shoot and economical plus the 77s will fly a long ways and the 60gr soft points can kill pigs, deer...

308 has recoil, it just does.

A brake will help, so will an adjustable gas block, , heavy buffer, rubber buttpad, you can tailor your handloads to have lower recoil as well.

If I remember right you're an older guy with a bad back and shoulder I would suggest sticking with 223, it's so much easier to shoot and economical plus the 77s will fly a long ways and the 60gr soft points can kill pigs, deer...

Well if 51 is old then yes I am an old guy. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia plus several shoulder injuries.

The more I think about things, the best thing would probably be to sell my PA10 and my 308 Savage Model 12.

Reactions: Gustav7

**UPDATE**​

My buddy has barrel in hand and is making proper jaws for the CNC so he can cut and thread. I decided to just go to 16" to avoid any annoyance with pin/weld, etc. Barrel measured 18.25" internal to bolt face and 18.75" total outside length, and weighed 2lbs 8.2oz.

Once I get it back, the Superlative Arms AGB will go on and the new Griffin minimalist muzzle brake to run my Rex can with the Griffin Plan A HUB on it. I do plan on buying a heavier buffer. PWS makes a Steel body for ~$50 and then I have the tungsten weights from the Armalite kit. I'd like a Heavy Buffers but damn, at $125, oof.

Reactions: bfoosh006

**UPDATE**​

My buddy has barrel in hand and is making proper jaws for the CNC so he can cut and thread. I decided to just go to 16" to avoid any annoyance with pin/weld, etc. Barrel measured 18.25" internal to bolt face and 18.75" total outside length, and weighed 2lbs 8.2oz.

Once I get it back, the Superlative Arms AGB will go on and the new Griffin minimalist muzzle brake to run my Rex can with the Griffin Plan A HUB on it. I do plan on buying a heavier buffer. PWS makes a Steel body for ~$50 and then I have the tungsten weights from the Armalite kit. I'd like a Heavy Buffers but damn, at $125, oof.
I've never understood why anybody would go with a bbl less than 16" and then pin and weld something on it to make it 16" anyway.

Yeah my heavybuffers buffer was 140 with the spring.

Oh damn. Thats not very reassuring considering its LC brass. I wonder if there was an issue with a batch of the components to make the brass or wrong combo of metals or something. Weird.

Bruh that brass' gotta go. Pull down the bullets and powder, punch out the primers, and throw the cases in the trash.

Reactions: bfoosh006

**UPDATE**​

There is another option regarding buffer weight/operating system mass, but not necessarily a huge money/time saver. KAK makes a 4.5oz tungsten carrier weight for around $30. It will require you to drill a hole in the carrier tail for a spring pin. This is similar to the Daniel Defense DD5 carrier system. It allows you to use buffers which have reciprocating buffer weights, which can help with bolt bounce, and still get around 10oz of equivalent buffer weight for AR-10/308 rifle length buffers.

I've never understood why anybody would go with a bbl less than 16" and then pin and weld something on it to make it 16" anyway.
Yeah my heavybuffers buffer was 140 with the spring.
Ya for this rifle, I didn't see an advantage, especially when my minimalist brake is ~1.2" long total.
However, on a lightweight AR15, thats using a long/heavy muzzle device for suppressor use, I can totally understand. My 14.5 that was pinned was noticeably quicker on transitions than a 16".

Bruh that brass' gotta go. Pull down the bullets and powder, punch out the primers, and throw the cases in the trash.
LOL I only have a maybe 100rds left of that stuff. I definitely kept the brass separate to inspect.

**UPDATE**

Been a minute as I've been busy with USPSA but have done the following "upgrades":

-A machinist friend cut/crowned, and threaded the barrel down to 16.25". This was his first rifle barrel and I think he did a great job. 30cal bore rod came out of the suppressor bore perfectly aligned according to my eye.
IMG_9584.jpg

-Bought a PWS H3(5.1oz) steel buffer($56), then put the two tungsten weights from the Armalite buffer in with the 1 from PWS and that yielded a 6.8oz total buffer weight. Makes a big difference with a suppressor on it, but still might adjust the gas block a few clicks.

-I put the Superlative Arms AGB on and have it cranked out a good ways to the bleed off portion. Still needs a few clicks, but its shooting smooth right now with a can, so we'll see how it does without a can.
IMG_9585.jpg

Rifle still has not missed a beat. I'd prefer not to put a stronger buffer spring in so hopefully I can dial it down a touch more with the gas block. I also have some tungsten powder somewhere, so I might add a few more ounces to the buffer.

Next step is a range day to do the 2nd round of accuracy testing with the ammo I bought in January. See if the shorter barrel, add-ons, and suppressor change anything.

Has anyone tried the PSA Sabre AR-10 line yet?
Be aware... the Billet version uses a slant cut PSA upper and lower. Ala SR25 ish. I have been told it has only been tested on PSA produced products, so I have no idea if the slant cut will fit any other slant cut lower.
The forged version uses a typical PA10 / PA65 rounded upper and lower , so I assume fully compatible with the current PA10 line.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
Be aware... the Billet version uses a slant cut PSA upper and lower. Ala SR25 ish. I have been told it has only been tested on PSA produced products, so I have no idea if the slant cut will fit any other slant cut lower.
The forged version uses a typical PA10 / PA65 rounded upper and lower , so I assume fully compatible with the current PA10 line.
Good to know.

I’m interested in the build quality over the typical PA10 and accuracy

Reactions: Eli17L
I own a PSA AR 10 Gen 3 and it has been outstanding suppressed (Silencer Co Harvester EVO 30 cal can) or unsuppressed once it’s tuned correctly. I have a Armaspec buffer system in it as well. At 100yards suppressed using Beck 180g Rex 308 caliber rounds I shot half inch MOA’s. Here is some more info on the adjustable gas block. Stay safe and Semper Fi!
1692794610488.jpeg

Last edited: