• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSR question...

Roddd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
SoCal
It's my understanding that SOCOM wants the PSR submissions to be interchangeable between .308 win, .300 win mag, and .338 lap mag. I know the benefits of all calibers, but it seems to me that being able to shoot just two calibers, say 308 and 338 would be more practical. Anybody care to enlighten me on why they are calling for three calibers?

Re: PSR question...

Not sure exactly, but I suspect that the two calibers to use are 300wm and 338lm, and the 308 is just for practice. That's my thought.

I could see that, but why switch between 300 and 338? I think 338 could be for long range work, where 308 would be used for engagements at around 800 yards and closer. Maybe I'm over thinking this. It could have to do with availability of ammo too.

i think it has to do with availability of ammo. you may not always be a able to get 300 or 338

I have never known SOCOm to have a problem getting ammo, unless there is a severe shortage due to safety or quality concerns and a service wide reclaasification or suspension has been issued.

SOCOM being SOCOM, and believing that the operator is best able to determine what would best satisfy his requirements, probably wanted the most flexible platform that allows the boots on the ground to tailor their loadout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never known SOCOm to have a problem getting ammo, unless there is a severe shortage due to safety or quality concerns and a service wide reclaasification or suspension has been issued.
</div></div>

I am not talking about SOCOM as a whole. I am talking about the operator in the field.

I realize that since Vietnam we are used to having solid supply lines. However if the day comes that the operator is in the field on day 25 of a mission he thought was going to take three, he is going to rely heavily on adjacent units for supply of anything he can't obtain from the environment or indigenous population.

I am also not sure what role they feel a .300WM can fill that a .338LM can't. That is the main source of my curiosity.

I think the .308 is for training as it is cheaper than .338. Could be of use in situations where .338 would be overkill - at closer ranges with there are greater chances of civilian causalities etc.

The OP was asking spefically about the SOCOM requirement, I was addressing from that viewpoint.
As far as teh .308 for training due to cost, SOCOM funding is such that ammo costs are not much concern.

For most urban engagements, where shots are fairly short, the .308 is more than adequate for the task. Why carry a cannon when a rifle will do the job.

I guess I'll clarify, I'm wondering why they couldn't leave the 300 win mag out? It seems easier and more practical to have just the 308 and 338. With one less variable, it might be easier for the manufacturers to produce a better weapon and have it be just as practical. The other post about the Sako PSR got me thinking, now my head hurts. I'll be back, I'm heading over to the Bear Pit to look at the naked lady posts.