• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes PST Disappointment

Re: PST Disappointment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Second, if you buy a microwave oven from wal-mart, take it home and find it doesn't work, do you call the manufacture and give them a chance to "make it right"? Or do you take it back to wally world and say "This POS doesn't work" and either get a refund or exchange for an identical make and model.

My money is on the latter. I am also willing to bet that most of you would also NOT choose an exchange of an identical make/model.

So, what the fuck is the difference? I mean. besides the fact that some of you seem to have some emotional attachment here.

</div></div>

I think there is a difference between buying something at Walmart and buying from a quality firearms manufacturer whether it's a scope, gun , bipod or just about anything else. The difference is that many of these companies are actively on SH answering questions, sponsoring and supporting this forum and shooters like us.
They have names, contacts and a way to PM them anytime we like to help us out.
Now give me a microwave company you can say the same thing about and I'll agree with you.
In everyday life its easy to go the bring it back to Walmart route because you don't know anything about the company or its people so there's no reason to go that route. In this industry thankfully there is a difference, The manufacturer has a name to help you out and they do care that your happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Second, if you buy a microwave oven from wal-mart, take it home and find it doesn't work, do you call the manufacture and give them a chance to "make it right"? Or do you take it back to wally world and say "This POS doesn't work" and either get a refund or exchange for an identical make and model.

My money is on the latter. I am also willing to bet that most of you would also NOT choose an exchange of an identical make/model.

So, what the fuck is the difference? I mean. besides the fact that some of you seem to have some emotional attachment here.

</div></div>

I think there is a difference between buying something at Walmart and buying from a quality firearms manufacturer whether it's a scope, gun , bipod or just about anything else. The difference is that many of these companies are actively on SH answering questions, sponsoring and supporting this forum and shooters like us.
They have names, contacts and a way to PM them anytime we like to help us out.
Now give me a microwave company you can say the same thing about and I'll agree with you.
In everyday life its easy to go the bring it back to Walmart route because you don't know anything about the company or its people so there's no reason to go that route. In this industry thankfully there is a difference, The manufacturer has a name to help you out and they do care that your happy. </div></div>

To add to that, I'm 100% for supporting the vendors on here that have taken time out of their busy day to get OUR feedback and answer OUR questions or help with OUR issues.

Most, if not all, of the vendors here consistently bend over backwards to help any member here and they always treat every customer like family. They ask for opinions, they value our feedback, and most of all, they listen. We owe it to these guys to give them a fair shot instead of this one-and-done nonsense.

I went on this tangent because I've seen Scott from Vortex jump into numerous threads to answer questions, confirm specs, post photos, gauge reactions, give us updates, etc. He personally may not be an official vendor but he does a bang up job. Not fair to just turn your back on someone like that at the drop of a hat.

This thread would make a nice basis for psychological research into so many areas its pathetic.

fdkay's "microwave/Wallyworld" example is the perfect analogy, yet emotional investment or a deep need for peer approval drives people to feel the guy was so out of line by sending a product back to the person that sold it to him, that they go to extraordinary lengths to explain why his actions were wrong.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The guy bought a scope (probably after being directed that way by the same type of folks that are now admonishing his behavior after the purchase), he didn't get married to Scott, for fuck' sake!! </span>

If I buy a new product from someone and it doesn't work for me for whatever reason I go first to the person that took my money. Now if SWFA had told this guy "you need to talk to Vortex" this probably would have ended the way most posting (for god knows why) so vehemently wanted it to.
Instead, SWFA being a kickass company (for longer than Vortex has been a concept, let alone a company) did what they do-<span style="font-weight: bold">they took action that satisfied the customer</span>. God forbid an retailer make a customer happy, huh?

This thread is again "unf'king believable".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> emotional attachment </div></div>

As I've mentioned several times before, emotional investment into scope brands is what drives most debates on this forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> emotional attachment </div></div>

As I've mentioned several times before, emotional investment into <span style="text-decoration: line-through">scope brands</span>any type of gear is what drives most debates on this forum. </div></div>

Fix it for you.

THEBEARRRRRRJEWYou wanted an affordable scope with all the fixins? You got it. But don't be pissed because the company gave you exactly what you wanted. You cannot get top tier quality at this price point. Just physically said:
WTF? $800+ dollars and a broken scope is what he wanted? So what is the price point now to receive a functional scope at time of purchase? This thread is ridiculous !!! Yet strangely entertaining, LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread would make a nice basis for psychological research into so many areas its pathetic.

fdkay's "microwave/Wallyworld" example is the perfect analogy, yet emotional investment or a deep need for peer approval drives people to feel the guy was so out of line by sending a product back to the person that sold it to him, that they go to extraordinary lengths to explain why his actions were wrong.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The guy bought a scope (probably after being directed that way by the same type of folks that are now admonishing his behavior after the purchase), he didn't get married to Scott, for fuck' sake!! </span>

If I buy a new product from someone and it doesn't work for me for whatever reason I go first to the person that took my money. Now if SWFA had told this guy "you need to talk to Vortex" this probably would have ended the way most posting (for god knows why) so vehemently wanted it to.
Instead, SWFA being a kickass company (for longer than Vortex has been a concept, let alone a company) did what they do-<span style="font-weight: bold">they took action that satisfied the customer</span>. God forbid an retailer make a customer happy, huh?

This thread is again "unf'king believable". </div></div>

Best post yet!!

i got one no wait and i love it.
wouldlike to ffp but didnt want to wait i am sure that had you contacted vortex the would have taken care of you. very good company to deal with. my expariance anyway

and i run several of their scopes and a strike force

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
THEBEARRRRRRJEWYou wanted an affordable scope with all the fixins? You got it. But don't be pissed because the company gave you exactly what you wanted. You cannot get top tier quality at this price point. Just physically said:
How did you get that out of my post? The shooting community wanted an optic with the features of high end scopes and high quality glass at a significantly lower price point. Vortex made it happen. It comes at a cost, and the cost in this case is quality and consistency. I think they're doing a good job.

Six month wait, 800 dollar item on its second go around from prior issues shows up defective? I think I would be seeking alternatives myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a question then.

Where do you draw the line? What happens when, for instance, you buy a $3k dollar optic, it breaks before you put a round on it, you contact the manufacturer for repairs, it doesn't take days or even weeks, it takes months and months before its resolved (assuming it gets resolved)?

I'm not swinging one way or another here. I'm just saying people's expectations are different. Some expect perfection from an $800 dollar optic right out of the box, some never expect it from a $3,000 dollar optic.

I think a lot of these expectations stem from the financial investment. And unfortunately, there is a direct correlation between financial investment and emotional investment. </div></div>

I completely agree. No one wants to see anything they buy fail, whether it was $3 or $30,000. And the waits can be excruciating. But I also believe in giving a company a chance to make it right before moving on.

In my personal opinion, customer service will make or break my experience with a company. Whether it's a cell phone, cable provider, optics or a car I want to know that a company is going to continue to take care of me even after they get my money. Sometimes they do (Bushnell) and sometimes they don't (AT&T). I will continue to buy Bushnell products but I will never buy an AT&T product again. </div></div>

WARNING!! Thread Hijack!!

Buying is a contract you enter into with the vendor/manufacturer.
I bought a Ruger 77Mk11, didn't shoot worth shit, vowed that I'd never buy another Ruger product. Spoke to Ruger, they advised me of a fix, didn't work. Told them it didn't work, next thing, I get a BRAND NEW rifle, higher spec than the defective one. CANNOT argue with that. I'd go Ruger anytime now.

Cannot imagine Vortex is any different, all I hear is how great their customer service is.

Nothing in this world is perfect, not even my Wife, but would I divorce her the first day after we were married if she made a crap meal??? Hell no, we'd work together and get to a satisfactory conclusion between us, because NOTHING and NOBODY in this life is PERFECT, not even a $800 scope. It's a disappointment, but EVERYONE deserves a second chance.

Now, I have NO dog in this fight either, but it does seem to me a case of dummy spitting (dummy = pacifier) by the OP. The scope wasn't up to spec, so he was going to bring a shit-storm down on Vortex, because he was angry.
Normal human reaction.
Not very adult, or constructive.

Maybe I'm just in a mellow place right now, but as Jack said, "Why can't we all just get along?"

Oh, and I can't believe this thread is up to 3 pages. WTF is up with that?

Just my 0.02.

N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh, and I can't believe this thread is up to 3 pages. WTF is up with that?
Just my 0.02.
</div></div>

+1 and my $0.98

I have a problem with threads like this. Unless you have something to say, that others can use to their advantage, why mf a product on here? Threads that do not elaborate on what the problem is, tell us nothing useful. Hopefully, every time a Christams gift has been returned because "you didn't like it", you did not post it on here. If you don't like a product, send it back and quitcherbitchin. If you have ran the scope and have some useful info to share, by all means do so. I see way too many threads popping up that border on brand bashing and that ain't a good thing. SWFA took care of a "problem" that Vortex would've taken care of as well. Hat's off to em.

The customer of a product is the only one that can establish its value. If someone is not happy with what they received for their hard-earned dollar, my opinion does not matter, and it is not my place to decide whether the buyer's opinion is valid. The only place that my determination of value matters is in my own purchases. Name-calling doesn't really change this fact.

All I got out this after reading all three pages, is that the thread should have been titled "I bought something I wasn't happy with and SWFA being a great company too deal with took it back no questions asked". THE END.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NextGen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nebraska, what part of the state are you from?

Go Big Red! </div></div>

Amen! GO BIG RED!!!

I'm from Omaha.....you?? </div></div>

Grand Island area.