• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes PST Disappointment

Tulie

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2010
New Mexico
Wow, 5.5 months waiting to get my PST in. All excited to get to use it, took a look at it, way disappointed. Thought maybe it was my tired eyes so tried a second time a few hours later and nope, thing will not focus for me at any range. Huge disappointment. I have a few Viper scopes and they are great for what they are. They are much superior to this PST in my opinion. Got it from SWFA and have to give them credit, return authorization given without a question and it's on its way back to them. Won't be going that direction again. Maybe that new SS?

Re: PST Disappointment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few Viper scopes and they are great for what they are. They are much superior to this PST in my opinion.</div></div>
What sense does that make? It's not like the PST was designed not to focus, and that makes the regular Viper line better, you got a lemon. Nobody has a 100% success rate with their manufacturing, sometimes a bad one slips through.

Hmmmm.... I would have to disagree. the PST line of scopes are incredible bargain for the money. Did you play with the ocular to focus the crosshairs after adjusting the parallax? Even so, Vortex has fantastic customer service and will bend over backwards to make you happy. I would have given them a call and given that scope another chance, just my opinion.

The SWFA SS series is killer though, a good option as well.

I have to agree with everyone above. Mistakes happen in manufacturing, it is inevitable. And had you given Vortex the chance to make it right I'm sure they would have. Vortex does stand behind their products.

As for my experience with these scopes I own one PST model and am happy with it. I feel like I got a good optic for what I paid for it and would recommend them to others. But obviously your mileage has varied.

Yeah, I tried for a while to get it to focus and no combination of AO or Ocular adjustment would bring it into focus. I could get the cross hairs to focus just fine but the target view was anywhere from very blurry to just a little blurry. Even to the point that tree leaves at 85 yards would not be clear in the sight picture.

I'm sure Vortex would have fixed it but I'm not in the mood to wait another few months shipping it back and forth to get that done. I've heard about their excellent customer service and have talked to them a few times myself. That's why I went with them to start with. After this wait though, my patience is gone.

Also, yeah, I did write to rant a little, so what, that's what these boards are for as well as passing along our information and experiences. Some of you guys crack me up, all high and mighty and all knowing while you think the rest of us can't find our butts with both hands. Oh yeah, I know I don't have 6K+ posts so I must be a complete moron. Maybe I only post when I have something to productive to say and not add to my post count by slamming somebody else.

What other info did you want? Sight picture isn't clear and I can't get it to focus. What else is there to it?

Just saying I was major disappointed and now am looking for something else. This is for a heavy 300 RUM that I use for 1000 yard and walking tactical. Don't shoot it a whole lot but want something decent on it without spending NF bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I tried for a while to get it to focus and no combination of AO or Ocular adjustment would bring it into focus. I could get the cross hairs to focus just fine but the target view was anywhere from very blurry to just a little blurry. Even to the point that tree leaves at 85 yards would not be clear in the sight picture.

I'm sure Vortex would have fixed it but I'm not in the mood to wait another few months shipping it back and forth to get that done. I've heard about their excellent customer service and have talked to them a few times myself. That's why I went with them to start with. After this wait though, my patience is gone.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, yeah, I did write to rant a little, so what, that's what these boards are for</span> as well as passing along our information and experiences. Some of you guys crack me up, all high and mighty and all knowing while you think the rest of us can't find our butts with both hands. Oh yeah, I know I don't have 6K+ posts so I must be a complete moron. Maybe I only post when I have something to productive to say and not add to my post count by slamming somebody else.

What other info did you want? Sight picture isn't clear and I can't get it to focus. What else is there to it?

Just saying I was major disappointed and now am looking for something else. This is for a heavy 300 RUM that I use for 1000 yard and walking tactical. Don't shoot it a whole lot but want something decent on it without spending NF bucks. </div></div>

Guess again, bucko. The last thing this board wants/needs is ranting and raving without anything to back it up except "iT wuldnt werk"

If you knew anything about Vortex's CS you would know that they would send you a new car and a mailorder bride to go along with your replacement scope if that's what you wanted. You gave up on a great product because one MAY have not been 100% from the factory. Then you come on here to rant and rave AFTER you've already sent it back. What's the point? Get off your soapbox, troll.

EDIT: Oh, and claiming that the Viper series is "superior" to the PST series eliminates all credibility you had and makes you look like a n00b. You clearly said it out of frustration because the scope wasn't functioning properly. I bet you sure as shnitzel if your scope worked you'd be singin a very different tune.

Sorry for the post AFTER I sent it back BEAR, guess I should have asked you first.

Never questioned Vortex CS, just this particular scope and thought I might get a few opinions of something that somebody else might suggest and also find out if anybody else had a problem similar to this one. Wow, guess I need to ask permission before posting.

OH by the way BEAR, guess that wasn't a rant from you was it? Just posting helpful and insghtful information right? WRONG! Practice what you preach BUCKO!

I was like a lot of you, waited for almost a year. I bought two, a 16x and a 24x. The 16x came in with a paint chip that flew around inside sticking to different places on the glass, it didn't really hurt anyting but it did change locations from shot to shot. I called vortex, they sent me a return label, sent it off, they repaired it and had it back in a week. I can't say enough good about the service, as far as the scopes, there ok, not a tasco, but not a nightforce. As far as an entry level ffp, not bad, and the reticle is very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, yeah, I did write to rant a little, so what, that's what these boards are for as well as passing along our information and experiences. Some of you guys crack me up, all high and mighty and all knowing while you think the rest of us can't find our butts with both hands. Oh yeah, I know I don't have 6K+ posts so I must be a complete moron. Maybe I only post when I have something to productive to say and not add to my post count by slamming somebody else.

</div></div>

Not to come across with a “tit for tat” discussion my post was to question the relevance or appropriate nature of your initial post.
In reading it, I came away with no useful information other than to say you had a problem, you did not appear to attempt to let the manufacturer take care of it, SWFA went above the call and took care of you, and you came on here to express your displeasure with your “rant”.

If I have missed something or am misrepresenting what your actions please feel free to clarify.

As to the boards being a place to provide information I 100% agree with that statement. As to the boards being a place to rant and not have to provide a reasonable explanation or accountability for your statements.......

If you do elect to go with the SWFA SS then by all means I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you on the line

Ha a post like this makes me think that you waited 5.5 months for the latest and greatest.... then something new came out "the SS" and now you found a cheap and easy excuse to move on the the next latest and greatest without having to own two scopes, and resell one. Good luck with your next purchase.

WOW wait 5.5 months and don't even call them to see what they can do for you as far as repair goes and time lines , just send it back and call them junk????
you really like the viper and yet think that the PST's are crap???
( talk about knee jerk reaction).

then proceed to to state that you are surprised by the reactions of other members to your post??

Post count has F- all to do with the replies received. I rarely post and your un-logical/unpractical response to a problem with your scope has bugged me enough to reply.

come on buddy, think a little.

Well, since most of the past year's delay on PSTs has been reportedly because the manufacturer/assembler/whatever (Philippines, I believe) betrayed Vortex by shipping a first batch which did NOT meet specs...

and

Some of those scopes got shipped out despite some apparently easy-to-detect defects....

and

I seem to recall some great promises of extra efforts to be made to essentially double-check all future shipments so no such specimen defect items ("lemons", in the oh so forgiving language of one of our fellow posters in this thread)...

Then I would have expected more too.

Now I've seen and shot with a Viper FFP/MOA which impressed me and continues to impress me quite a bit, so please don't take this as a broad-brush indictment of everything Vortex sells.

But with the PST line, they continue to accumulate "strikes", even after gaining some straight-shooter credits for giving us the scoop after the first shipment crapped out.

At this point, I would expect Vortex to have TWO people detail-inspect every PST BEFORE it ships, to make sure it's not just a POS. Our original poster is not a baby and undoubtedly knows how to focus a SF scope, and reported later a credible-sounding report of "it won't focus". If any of us can crow on this forum about how great our latest scope is, then we certainly should be allowed to gripe if one is NOT great, too. A focus problem is far more serious than the piece of crud inside the lenses reported here.

The OP is rightfully entitled to his opinion that with the PST, Vortex has had its chance and blew it.

I don't know why you guys are being so rough on the guy. I would have been pissed if I were him and would have posted a much nastier rant (I would have justified it with pics though). It's no different than ordering a new car only to have it arrive with mismatched paint... Yeah some fall through the cracks but that doesn't mean they can't be criticized for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha a post like this makes me think that you waited 5.5 months for the latest and greatest.... then something new came out "the SS" and now you found a cheap and easy excuse to move on the the next latest and greatest without having to own two scopes, and resell one. Good luck with your next purchase. </div></div>

+1

And if you want the SS you are still going to have to wait another month probably. In that time Vortex wouldve had a new PST to you in less than a week, you couldve tried it out, if you still didnt like it SWFA still wouldve returned it Im sure.

I know you have every right to report problems as much as you do qualities, but I wouldve definitely called Vortex and asked for a replacement, I promise you wouldve had a new one in less than a week. And as mentioned above, obviously these scopes were not designed NOT to focus, so something must be amyss.

To the OP, you have committed an unpardonable sin, you have voiced displeasure concerning a fanboy favorite.

To everyone else that have taken to blasting the OP.

He sent it back and decided he doen't want to waste his time with anymore Vortex products.

Get over it.

It was late getting delivered and it wasn't right when he got it.

Why should he "give them a chance to make it right"? It should have been right the first time, since the damn thing was 6 months behind schedule, plenty of time to make sure it was built correctly.
What if they sent him another fucked up one? Give them another chance?

He cut his losses and ordered a different scope. So be it, it was his choice.

Would Vortex have fixed it, sure they would, they are a stand up company. Would he have to wait another 6 months? maybe. Because they sure aren't going to repair it, they would fix it by replacing it and who knows how long that would take.

i'm confused. Does this mean I should order a SS instead of a PST?
or should I get an aimpoint? or stick to NF? makes iron sights seem like a good choice. Fiber optic front sight post?
Aww, I'm just going to build an M40A5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I tried for a while to get it to focus and no combination of <span style="color: red"> AO </span> or Ocular adjustment would bring it into focus. </div></div>

Are you sure you got a Vortex Viper PST? I'm fairly certain that they are not adjustable objective. The focus is on the side of the turret housing, it's referred to as a side focus (SF)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I tried for a while to get it to focus and no combination of <span style="color: red"> AO </span> or Ocular adjustment would bring it into focus. </div></div>

Are you sure you got a Vortex Viper PST? I'm fairly certain that they are not adjustable objective. The focus is on the side of the turret housing, it's referred to as a side focus (SF) </div></div>

you caught that too i see...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt.creedmoor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I tried for a while to get it to focus and no combination of <span style="color: red"> AO </span> or Ocular adjustment would bring it into focus. </div></div>

Are you sure you got a Vortex Viper PST? I'm fairly certain that they are not adjustable objective. The focus is on the side of the turret housing, it's referred to as a side focus (SF) </div></div>

you caught that too i see........... </div></div>

Well mine is on the side, unless Vortex started putting AO's on em.
In which case:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boltripper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why wasn't I notified? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I bet you sure as shnitzel if your scope worked you'd be singin a very different tune. </div></div>

Really, so you're saying if his scope would have worked properly, he wouldn't be complaining about his scope not working properly?

Or that a properly fucntioning 850 dollar scope is usually better than a 200 dollar scope (which, apparently, in this case it wasn't)?

Thanks for clarifying that.

Thanks for your opinion on the scope. I have 4 vipers and like them for the money. I want a pst 4-16 but have heard several reviews like yours so I think there may be an issue here. Its nice to get some honesty, it saves guys time,money and frustration thanks again.

I was just reading a post that was talking about defects with NF scopes just before reading this post. This is not a problem particular to Vortex.

I see the same guys supporting Vortex and jumping in against them that I have seen for months/years. What a shit storm. Thanks for contributing.

That will teach Vortex to mess with you. Under the bus they go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks for contributing.

That will teach Vortex to mess with you. Under the bus they go!

</div></div>

I guess I am curious how a rant is contributing?

"I was just reading a post that was talking about defects with NF scopes just before reading this post. This is not a problem particular to Vortex."

Today I read the complaints of specks inside a couple of NXS scopes. This is first I have ever read of NXS letting a scope out like that and I have been using NXS scopes since 1999. NXS has great Quaity Control

The Vortex is a new kid on the block and the PST is a new scope. QC in brand new line of scope scares me. I had emailed Scott, as he asked at Shot, to ask about a PST, but he was gone at time and I never followed up again.

I hope this is a rare event with them because the idea of an 800.00 lit ffp scope sounds freakin good to me in the world of scopes that cost as much as cars.

i would have gladly taken it off your hands and I would have even covered the shipping to myself!

My vote is his eyes have gone bad and he doesn't know what good glass looks like so his brain is going all fuzzy on him. wonder if the NF will be "blurry" too? Hey Tulie make sure you update us when you get that over priced NF

As long as the coupon is active for the SS 5-20 HD I don’t think anyone should consider any other FFP scope that cost less than $2000.

Funny, noone stepped on anyone when everyone was saying "I'd wait on a PST" left and right before they were even out.
I like ScottP and I think Vortex is a great option for the money, but they have had their issues.

Over the past couple years I have actually learned to avoid products that receive koolaid status before they hit the market.

I think the guy was pretty clear-he finally got it, and it didn't work. God forbid someone call the vendor they bought it from.

If I got a lemon from SWFA of any brand, I think I'd call them first. Actually that's exactly what I did years back, and they took care of me then. That's one of the reasons SWFA is one of this guy's favorite retailers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think his sarcasm font was on Chiller. </div></div>

My bad......

I don't think anyone here is debating the fact that any product that goes down an assembly line is prone to issues. That's life. I can't think of one manufacturer of any product that can claim they have a 100% success rate in QC. It's how they handle these outliers that really shows a companies true colors and last I checked, they are handling these customers very well (provided they actually CALL them first before returning it)

Regardless, the issue at hand SHOULD have been a civil discussion on some of the early problems that the PST has seen, but the OP's immature, emotionally driven, child-like rant derailed this right off the rip.

Had the post said something along the lines of "I waited 5.5 months and it won't focus. Really bummed and kinda ticked. What should I do?" then he would have gotten a much more respectable answer.

Point is, he contributed NOTHING to this board by coming on here and ranting about a scope he already returned. Getting upset, and even a little pissed off, I can understand. But to come on here solely to bash something AFTER the fact does nothing except make you look like a baby.

I encourage the OP to look at some of the other negative reviews of scopes on here. All of the authors leverage valid opinions but they maturely elaborate why they feel the way they do and they don't claim their findings as fact. They also don't make ridiculous statements like "The Viper series is superior to the PST in every way." You're right. And an off-the-shelf Stevens Model 200 is FAR SUPERIOR to the 110BA because your 110BA came with a ding in the finish. Am I following your logic here correctly?

Sooooo you are complaining about a guy who is complaining about a scope that was delivered 6 months late and did not ask this board for their opinions on what he should do because it was defective? Sound about right?
confused.gif

Yeah, I'll be sure to ask everyone here if I should return something before I do because it was your money I spent
crazy.gif

Seems logical to me...

i dont know if i want to even get in the middle of this but here it goes. the OP is upset as i was when i recieved a $1700 dust holder, so shoot him....this is a forum where people with diffrent opinions share their experences with others to better understand a given situation (thats how i think of it atleast) the OP contribution here is a warning that #1 there is a crazy wait time and #2 when he recieved his scope it was defective to the point that he just wanted to let it go and move on with his money....once again, shoot him. i know that Vortex would have taken care of him, hell he know it seeing as though he owns other vortex products. i think the most important thing to remember here is that what you do is more than likely the best thing for you, the OP walked away from the vortex, oh well. personally i hope that he has the best of luck with his next high dollar optic purchace.

my rant, off.

Tell swfa to send it to me i bet i can get it to work fine ...dont like good products being bashed by unreliable source

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poorboyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell swfa to send it to me i bet i can get it to work fine ...dont like good products being bashed by unreliable source </div></div>

So, someone who actually BOUGHT the product, had it in his possession and found it wanting is an unreliable source?

He is also NOT the first to express disappointment with the PST line.

He did not "bash" the product, he merely said that he returned and decided to go a different route.

I'm sure SWFA would be happy to send it to you, first send them 850 bucks and specify that you want the broken scope.

My issue was that he said the PST was inferior to the regular Viper line, when he can't honestly make that statement since he got a defective scope. That'd be like buying a Corvette that's only running on 2 cylinders, and saying that the Camry it was supposed to replace is a better vehicle because it's still faster.

News flash:

A defective scope IS inferior to one that is not defective.

The OP apparently has several regular Viper scopes and they were not defective and thus had a direct comparison.

All I know is this: guy gets defective scope. Panties get in a tizzy. Sends scope back on an emotionally driven impulse, makes absurd claim that discredits just about anything he says, then posts here to tell everyone about how mad he is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, 5.5 months waiting to get my PST in. All excited to get to use it, took a look at it, way disappointed. Thought maybe it was my tired eyes so tried a second time a few hours later and nope, thing will not focus for me at any range. Huge disappointment. I have a few Viper scopes and they are great for what they are. They are much superior to this PST in my opinion.
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Got it from SWFA and have to give them credit, return authorization given without a question and it's on its way back to them. </span>
Won't be going that direction again. Maybe that new SS? </div></div>

Here is a useful bit of info. A good comment for swfa, they are a great company to deal with. Everything else aside about the scope or his choice to return it, he gave swfa credit for good service, a person can see that and should feel confident in dealing with them. So thats a positive thing.
(Hopefully he will be getting his next scope from them.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to come across with a “tit for tat” discussion my post was to question the relevance or appropriate nature of your initial post. </div></div>

Personally, I appreciate the heads-up and feel the OP made every effort not to demonize Vortex by stating that he had several others that were good for what they were. That's doesn't sound like slam to me but, then again, I don't have a dog in the fight.

To expect that someone should take the time/effort to mess around with getting a (new) defective product fixed is foolish. If a company can't ship a quality product the first time, I would be hesitant to run with their product, regardless of their wonderful customer service. That being said, I can see taking the time to repair a product that's seen some good use and crapped out, and I have, because that's life.

My next optic will be a SS 1-4x24 and it will be the first time I will have ordered something from that company. With <span style="text-decoration: underline">first</span> purchases, I hold to the mantra "Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me" and can tell you right now that if that SS 1-4x24 shows up defective, it's going back to SWFA ASAP and I won't mess with another one.

YMMV but I'd rather use the items I purchase, not rejoice in how easy they're fixed and any company worth their salt could deal with that!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My issue was that he said the PST was inferior to the regular Viper line, when he can't honestly make that statement since he got a defective scope. That'd be like buying a Corvette that's only running on 2 cylinders, and saying that the Camry it was supposed to replace is a better vehicle because it's still faster. </div></div>

The guy waited 5.5 months for a scope and he was disappointed when it showed up defective. The NERVE!!!
wink.gif

I take it you (and the other bashers) have something against high expectations??

I like my Vortex Viper as much as anybody. I also think Vortex has a lot going for them. But I find it silly, that some are trying to discredit the OP. Who wouldn't be emotional after spending $800 on a defective product? I know I would! I don't post much, but I have been around long enough to know, that he isn't the only one to be unhappy with the PST. He's entitled to his opinion, just as others are entitle to theirs. Contrary to what some may think, no one opinion is more important than another.

The OP owes Vortex nothing. If he wants to cut his lose and move on, thats his right. I'm pretty sure I would have went through SWFA first too, as they were the dealer in the sale.

Not sure if anyone has said it or not? But lost in all of this, is SWFA's great customer service. Hats of to them!!!

Nebraska, what part of the state are you from?

Go Big Red!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">News flash:

A defective scope IS inferior to one that is not defective.

The OP apparently has several regular Viper scopes and they were not defective and thus had a direct comparison. </div></div>

So because his scope was defective, that must mean that all other PSTs are defective, and therefore his claim that the regular Vipers are better than the PSTs is valid?

What was I thinking, that makes perfect sense.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt.creedmoor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tulie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I tried for a while to get it to focus and no combination of <span style="color: red"> AO </span> or Ocular adjustment would bring it into focus. </div></div>

you caught that too i see........... </div></div>

I wonder how adjust that AO went for him? Hopefully he meant sidefocus, but if he honest to god tried adjusting the objective, this thread will be so full of win....

Note, I have one of the original psts', not a problem with it, I am going to send it back because of the turrets, but they dont bother me enough to worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got done talking with Scott at LO can't wait for my PST to get here
laugh.gif

I'll report back if there's problems. </div></div>

None here so far. Outperformed expectations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got done talking with Scott at LO can't wait for my PST to get here
laugh.gif
I'll report back if there's problems. </div></div>
Mine should be in my hands this coming Monday, also from Scott at LO. I, too, shall report back.