• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes PST Gen 2 vs VX3i LRP

wvuhunter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2018
I haven't had the opportunity to handle either of these. Was wondering how they compared as far as clarity , tracking and functionality of the turrets. I know the PST has an illuminated reticle, don't plan on using that.

Thanks
-Mike

I've got a PST Gen 1 and just picked up a VX3i LRP for another gun. In comparison to the Gen 1 PST the LRP beats it in quite a few areas. The Gen 2 addresses a lot of those issues though - mainly better turret labeling and zero stop. Biggest differences to me, whether it's a Gen 1 or Gen 2 PST, is that the LRP glass is better, the LRP is lighter, Vortex has the better reticles (in my opinion), and the LRP eye relief is funky. There's a huge difference in eye relief between the min/max zoom on the LRP and it's rather annoying because you have to change your head position so drastically depending on what zoom level you're at.

I just received my 6.5-20x50 LRP with the CCH reticle and love it. I know many on here do not like the LRP scopes due to the large dial and 5m turrets. I say so what. The scope has awesome glass, tracks perfectly and is way lighter than any other scope on the market. The large dial is actually quite nice when the eyes get old.

LRP is more comparable to the Gen 1 PST. I think the Gen 2 PST is all around a nicer scope personally.

LRP is more comparable to the Gen 1 PST. I think the Gen 2 PST is all around a nicer scope personally.
Not sure why with all the downsides. It is 50% heavier , close to two inches linger, 4 less MRAD adjustment and not to mention glass that is not as clear. I know the last one is my opinion. Best of all the Leupold is made in the USA.

Not sure why with all the downsides. It is 50% heavier , close to two inches linger, 4 less MRAD adjustment and not to mention glass that is not as clear. I know the last one is my opinion. Best of all the Leupold is made in the USA.

Would you look and tell me how close it will focus on max mag please.

I guess is should of said in my opinion. If someone is looking for a lighter, smaller scope then it is a plus there. Personally I could care less about size as long as it functions properly, but I know that’s 100% personal opinion and/or task matter. Glass IMHO was better in the PST gen 2 when I compared them both, but again glass is subjective. Turrets on the LRP were extremely mushy and only 5 mil/rev compared to 10 on the PST gen 2. The rev/dial indicator on the LRP is a nice touch, but almost necessary to be in contention with 10 mil/rev scopes. LRP 3x power range vs 5x power range on the PST. The LRP is a nice scope and I would pick it over the Gen 1 PST, but personally would take the Gen 2 PST over the LRP (and another personal liking of the Vortex reticles over Leupy offerings)

Reactions: PowellSixO
I guess is should of said in my opinion. If someone is looking for a lighter, smaller scope then it is a plus there. Personally I could care less about size as long as it functions properly, but I know that’s 100% personal opinion and/or task matter. Glass IMHO was better in the PST gen 2 when I compared them both, but again glass is subjective. Turrets on the LRP were extremely mushy and only 5 mil/rev compared to 10 on the PST gen 2. The rev/dial indicator on the LRP is a nice touch, but almost necessary to be in contention with 10 mil/rev scopes. LRP 3x power range vs 5x power range on the PST. The LRP is a nice scope and I would pick it over the Gen 1 PST, but personally would take the Gen 2 PST over the LRP (and another personal liking of the Vortex reticles over Leupy offerings)
Have you seen the new CCH reticle?

Only on their website when I was checking out the MK5 options. I like X-mas Tree reticles to a certain point. I don’t like how busy most are (why I’m a fan of the Vortex). The CCH is less busy that most (Tremor 3, H59, etc... yikes lol) but still not my fav based on first impression. I would definitely like to play with a scope with one it it tho to shake it out and confirm or deny my suspicions!

I actually looked at Vortex especially since they offer 40% off msrp. Based upon my reading (not just this forum). It seems that they have a high failure rate. I know their warranty is excellent but I did not want to deal with that.

Reactions: Will M
I actually looked at Vortex especially since they offer 40% off msrp. Based upon my reading (not just this forum). It seems that they have a high failure rate. I know their warranty is excellent but I did not want to deal with that.

I have a Vortex Viper 6x24 and last year when new it began walking off target by 9 inches right after doing so well the first 300 rds or so. Mounted correctly on a Win Mod 70 in .223 and using handloads. Rifle and glass all torqued correctly. I sent it to Vortex who used their default option of claiming my rings were too tight possibly crushed the tube. You don't hurt a tube unless you can feel or see indentation. Sent it back and they claimed to tighten lenses and purge, how this repaired a wandering problem I fail to see. Been crap weather until now so i'm going to try this again.
I previously bought a less expensive Vortex scope for hunting, at dusk when I aimed in the direction of the sunset (sun was down and forest in front ) the picture whited out and the scope became useless unless aimed about a 180. So much for having lens coatings.
Two failures and I'm not buying another, if this Viper continues to not perform it goes back for refund and if no refund is allowed then flog it at auction.
Never had any issues with lower priced Bushnell scopes. I think Vortex by having other manufacturers make their scopes it takes QC out of their hands.
Anyone can contract existing scope manufacturers to slap your name on a line of scopes, guarantees little. Vortex is all marketing as far as I can tell. Made in China, Phillipines, and Japan, possibly other places?

Reactions: demolitionman
I personally would take the leupold hands down over the vortex. Experience with two gen II pst, first one made it 78rds and second one made it 8 rds. On a breaked 300 winny but who cares. They are junk and even though vortex is pretty decent with their warranty I would rather be on the range with my leupold shooting accurately and not at the house waiting on a different scope from vortex. Just my thinking.

Reactions: Bender
That's my thinking too! I "was" going to replace my Weaver 15x on my Rem 40X but since it's sighted in and works well I don't want the Rem out of commission. I'll update with the Vortex whether the "fix" actually fixed it on the Win Mod 70. I don't like paying Can. post shipping charges to return scopes either.

When I had my scope returned last winter I did a quick sight in and thought it was zeroed (too cold to do any more with it).
I just ran 30 rds of the same reloads I used before I returned the scope, strangely I needed to correct elevation a few clicks and windage (after my winter zero).
Now I'm getting 3 rd 1/2 inch groups. I'm leery that the next time I take it out something will go wrong, not good to have lack of confidence in your equipment as it can affect your accuracy.

Reactions: INMY01TA
I have a Vortex Viper 6x24 and last year when new it began walking off target by 9 inches right after doing so well the first 300 rds or so. Mounted correctly on a Win Mod 70 in .223 and using handloads. Rifle and glass all torqued correctly. I sent it to Vortex who used their default option of claiming my rings were too tight possibly crushed the tube. You don't hurt a tube unless you can feel or see indentation. Sent it back and they claimed to tighten lenses and purge, how this repaired a wandering problem I fail to see. Been crap weather until now so i'm going to try this again.
I previously bought a less expensive Vortex scope for hunting, at dusk when I aimed in the direction of the sunset (sun was down and forest in front ) the picture whited out and the scope became useless unless aimed about a 180. So much for having lens coatings.
Two failures and I'm not buying another, if this Viper continues to not perform it goes back for refund and if no refund is allowed then flog it at auction.
Never had any issues with lower priced Bushnell scopes. I think Vortex by having other manufacturers make their scopes it takes QC out of their hands.
Anyone can contract existing scope manufacturers to slap your name on a line of scopes, guarantees little. Vortex is all marketing as far as I can tell. Made in China, Phillipines, and Japan, possibly other places?

A loose lens can cause a wandering zero, and the purge was because they opened up the scope to repair it thus requiring them to purge the air with nitrogen or argon.

An image washout is from too much light entering the objective. It happens, that's what a sunshade is for. Lens coating won't do anything for that.

Where do you think Bushnell scopes are made? I'll answer that for you...China, Philippines, Japan, etc.

I'm well aware why they purge scopes. The light at dusk was not bright, it was at the verge of becoming too dark to shoot, sunshade would do nothing in this scenario. Everyone knows where Bushnell scopes are made, my point being they can make scopes that have a much lower percentage of returns.
Vortex marketing and hype is better than some of their scopes are by my experience (and others).
Not wise to respond to posts assuming the writer is ignorant of the facts.

Whiting out (your word) is completely opposite of a dark image.

Vortex and Bushnell (among several other brands) have scopes made in the same factories overseas.

Both (and most other) companies use batch inspections in their QC processes.

Your assumption of warranty return rates is just that, an assumption. Every optic company has a guideline for an acceptable amount of warranty repairs. They are more than likely very similar percentage wise.

Lens coatings and lens quality go up exponentially the more expensive the optic gets. The only thing your cheap hunting scope failed was your expectations. You want low light capability, spend the money on better optics.

Reactions: JakeM
Try understanding what is written, stop assuming works best. i'm done!

Just joined this forum and didn't realize it's childrens hour. My luck.

Lens coatings and lens quality go up exponentially the more expensive the optic gets. The only thing your cheap hunting scope failed was your expectations. You want low light capability, spend the money on better optics.

Should be the opposite... Cost goes up exponentially in relation to performance gain, but I will agree people shouldn't expect too much from a PST Gen 1. It's essentially a $400 scope masquerading as an $800 scope. The Gen II is quite an improvement.

Reactions: patriot07
Should be the opposite... Cost goes up exponentially in relation to performance gain, but I will agree people shouldn't expect too much from a PST Gen 1. It's essentially a $400 scope masquerading as an $800 scope. The Gen II is quite an improvement.
I agree 100% with this. Gen 1 PST has mediocre (at best) glass and high failure rates. When they first came out, the market was very different and they might have been worth the money then. Now, I think they're overpriced even at their reduced used, obsolete value. My $100 Bushnell AR223 scope has glass roughly equal to the PST1 and turrets that track just as good. There are other things about the PST1 that are better, but not 6x the price better like they typically sell for.

The PST2 is an entirely different scope and vastly superior to the PST1. I have no experience with the LRP.

That is too bad. How did they burn you?

I had a Mk8 I sent in 3 times. Once was for a parallax knob that was slipping, the other 2 times were for major shifts of zero after several rounds of 308. Tried many different mounts to make sure it wasn't me. 1st time I sent it in it took 8 weeks for them to fix it, they sent the scope back with the wrong box, said they didn't find anything even though the issue was fixed and I there was a new knob on the scope. The next 2 times were similar turn times, they didn't fix the issue, took 8+ weeks to get the scope back. Their documentation said they didn't find anything. I would also like to note that on the 3rd time sending this scope in I called about 4 weeks into the repair and they couldn't find my scope in their system, all they showed was the 1st and 2nd times I had sent it in for repair and they kept telling me I was mistaken it was sent back to me (the 2nd time) and they didn't have it in their shop even though I gave them the tracking number that said otherwise.

Sent an mk6 in once because I could never get more than 10 mils of adjustment in elevation when doing a tall target test, didn't matter what mount I used. The scope turret didn't bottom out it just wouldn't adjust. Sent scope in with a video of the issue and in about 10 weeks got it back with a note that said...no issue found, took it to the range and saw the same issue right away.

I also would add that for 2 of the most expensive pieces of glass they sell it was crap, I had better glass on their VXII I own and my SWFA fixed 12x. Very disappointed in the service and lack of ability to find a simple issue and correct it. I didn't even mind the wait time as long as they found an issue and corrected it.

2 of their best scopes they made at the time, 4 trips in for repair total, lots of wasted time on my end.
--

I had a Mk8 I sent in 3 times. Once was for a parallax knob that was slipping, the other 2 times were for major shifts of zero after several rounds of 308. Tried many different mounts to make sure it wasn't me. 1st time I sent it in it took 8 weeks for them to fix it, they sent the scope back with the wrong box, said they didn't find anything even though the issue was fixed and I there was a new knob on the scope. The next 2 times were similar turn times, they didn't fix the issue, took 8+ weeks to get the scope back. Their documentation said they didn't find anything. I would also like to note that on the 3rd time sending this scope in I called about 4 weeks into the repair and they couldn't find my scope in their system, all they showed was the 1st and 2nd times I had sent it in for repair and they kept telling me I was mistaken it was sent back to me (the 2nd time) and they didn't have it in their shop even though I gave them the tracking number that said otherwise.

Sent an mk6 in once because I could never get more than 10 mils of adjustment in elevation when doing a tall target test, didn't matter what mount I used. The scope turret didn't bottom out it just wouldn't adjust. Sent scope in with a video of the issue and in about 10 weeks got it back with a note that said...no issue found, took it to the range and saw the same issue right away.

I also would add that for 2 of the most expensive pieces of glass they sell it was crap, I had better glass on their VXII I own and my SWFA fixed 12x. Very disappointed in the service and lack of ability to find a simple issue and correct it. I didn't even mind the wait time as long as they found an issue and corrected it.

2 of their best scopes they made at the time, 4 trips in for repair total, lots of wasted time on my end.
--

WOW, that I think is the worst I've heard of from any Co! I had way better service from IOR. Even Bushnell CS from 2 different scopes went well and they sent a me a coupon for 50 % off retail.

I'm assuming that not everyone has had that kind of experience from Leupold but I got news for you, issues or no issues if Vortex really does turn their stuff around in 1 week that is worth it to me. Every scope with enough use WILL have issues, parts WILL wear, and things like drops from the counter are just things that will happen, so the VIP warranty is a huge consideration for me.

I'm assuming that not everyone has had that kind of experience from Leupold but I got news for you, issues or no issues if Vortex really does turn their stuff around in 1 week that is worth it to me. Every scope with enough use WILL have issues, parts WILL wear, and things like drops from the counter are just things that will happen, so the VIP warranty is a huge consideration for me.
Yea the ugly truth that people hate to see. There are Vortex haters and of course they will only tell you about a failed vortex they’ve had or heard of. I’ve heard of all scopes failing. And there’s a shit load of vortex out there so of course you’re going to hear about them. There are plenty of reported tracking issues with the MK8 and weird odd and end thing with the MK6. The illumination in the 1-6 MK6 was a joke. Only could bee seen in the eye box sweet spot. Leupold made a tactical $3000 1-6 that you had to lay down behind perfect to even see the illunated reticle. Had a customer call them multiple times on theirs and every time he got a “yea that’s how it is. How it’s suppsoed to be” the dude ended up trading back into to where he got it for something else. Have looked through 3 of the 1-6 MK6 and same shit. All scope manufacturers have products that fail.

I looked at a 6.5-20 today with this reticle and let me say I think I like it! This scope had a lot better feeling turrets than the other one I played with (6.5-20 second focal plane with TMR I believe it was). I took it outside and compared it side by side with a PST 2, and dissected the turret to see what they were all about. I think anyone looking for a LR hunting scope or lighter weight scope should consider this scope. I might eat a little crow and maybe even pick one up. Already has a throw lever and is $200ish cheaper. Glass was really a wash after getting them both dialed in for my eyes. FOV was a bit bigger with the PST (both set at 20x). The dial is only 5 mil like stated before, but the dial indicator makes up for it other than how fast you can operate it. It’s VERY clear on where you’re at in the scope when the zero stop is set. I wish I could have put it through a bit of a tracking test but lacked the resources for that today. Both are great scopes. If you’re looking for more of a true “tactical” scope the PST has the slight edge IMO. The VX3i LRP is no slouch in this price range as long as it tracks ?? I have another 5-25 PST2 set back for me for my 308 but I’m not sure now and have both set back until I can do more thinking. As of now I’m kinda leaning towards the Leupy as I don’t really have that lighter hybrid hunting/LR scope in my collection.