• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing PTG BOTTOM METAL

reamers4u

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
PTG BOTTOM METAL
For all of you that have been patiently waiting on the different types of precision machined bottom metal and trigger guards we have just finished the following:
STEEL Winchester Super Short Action
STEEL FN Police Super Short Action
STEEL Remington Long 700 Orbendorf Release
ALUMINUM Remington Long 700 Orbendorf Release
ALUMINUM Remington Long 700 Remington Release
STEEL Remington Long 700 Remington Release
STEEL Long Tactical Remington 700
STEEL Short Tactical Remington 700
STEEL Model 7 Remington
ALUMINUM Remington Short 700 Orbendorf Release
STEEL Remington Short 700 Remington Release
ALUMINUM Remington Short 700 Remington Release
STAINLESS STEEL Remington Short 700
STAINLESS STEEL Remington Long 700

We are not finished with the following, but are working on it:
STAINLESS STEEL Remington Short 700 Orbendorf Release
STAINLESS STEEL Remington Long 700 Orbendorf Release
STAINLESS STEEL Winchester Long Action
STAINLESS STEEL Winchester Short Action
ALUMINUM Winchester Long Action
ALUMINUM Winchester Short Action
STEEL Winchester Long Action
STEEL Winchester short Action
We will let you all know as they are completed. After these are finished we will start the Howa, Weatherby and Mauser Bottom Metal. By this time next year, we will be producing all types of bottom metal and detachable magazine styles. And YES, all at an affordable price; starting at $84.00 and up. We will NOT charge more than time and material.

Thank you,
Ashley Kiff
Pacific Tool & Gauge
[email protected]
(541) 826-5808

Re: PTG BOTTOM METAL

Whats the Orbernorf bit, whats that about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no savage options? </div></div>

Yea, you have options.

Sell it and get a Remington
wink.gif

Yes we will have Savage also. I have a new print just about finished.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes we will have Savage also. I have a new print just about finished. </div></div>

Bound to be good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, you have options.

Sell it and get a Remington
wink.gif
</div></div>

lol, funny guy

Much better pictures than when I bought my bottom metal, actually looks like the product I bought (steel Rem 700 bottom metal) and its a great product.

We are finishing some 7075 t6 AI for a customer now under contract. We will Let them tell you all about it . It sure is nice this guy has a real nice latch on them. His cost will be very good also. Remember the Wyatt unit is real nice it fits a standard rem stock. He has it on the shelf most of the time. Both types will satisfy either need and your wallet . My goal is to keep prices in check . If the parts are nice and the price is low we all make money and save money. Thanks Dave

Be even nicer if you did not ignore your PM's Dave.Sent you one a Month ago on the One Pc bolt thread in including a Question about this BM.

an '08 join date with 7 posts, makes me think a PM might not be the best way to conduct business. I have yet to call PTG during business hours and not have them answer the phone... have also had no problem getting connected or a call back from Dave directly.

That has just been my experience with them

DD

Sandrat, you really think a big MFG has time to keep up with all the different forums out there for every question? If you need specific info, pick up the telephone or contact them directly via the website/email.

Use some common sense mang.

This was late at night and he was posting back and forth on the forum at the time.

I would expect PM's if I were introducing a new product at that time of night.

The thread was about the one pc bolt,I was also interested in the Bottom Metal,not part of the topic.That was the reason for the PM.

Its best to call me. I am at falt for not using the computer more. After 8 hours on the phone and 4 hours grinding and putting together wildcat prints I cant keep up with the site messages. Hell sometimes I cant keep up on what day it is. Best way to get me is 6am to 5pm mon thru sat. Heck until today I did not know about the private message I missed. Thanks Dave

Guys, you need to cut Dave a little slack here. Most of this industry has no idea how hard he works to get us all really good parts for best prices. Email or call them at the office if you need something. I myself have a hard time with PM's. I much prefer email. PM's take extra time I really dont have. Dave and PPG are really on the good guy list.

I have yet to pick up the phone and not get either an immediate response or a prompt return call from Dave and staff.It seems phone calls are a lost skill....

My experience has been the exact opposite, Dave has always returned my calls and has been very patient with my ideas no matter how off the wall they are.

My experience has ALWAYS been second to none. Read post # 2!!!!!! I know Dave is busy but when I ask a question and Ashley is not sure, Dave always calls me back within a half an hour. As far as message boards go, we are lucky he even hops on here once in 5 years. Keep it up Dave, you got it right.
Lord, how off the wall are you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LordofPangea</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience has been the exact opposite, Dave has always returned my calls and has been very patient with my ideas no matter how off the wall they are. </div></div>

I had to edit my post I neglected to put the word not in there.Dave and crew are top shelf all the way.

Re: WINCHESTER BOTTOM METAL

Really looking forward to having it in my hands next week. Thanks PTG for keeping us up to date. Finally, a reliable source of quality bottom metal for the M70.

Mark

Do you think there would be intrest in custom ground Winchester bolts. I have had a few calls . Thanks Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think there would be intrest in custom ground Winchester bolts. I have had a few calls . Thanks Dave </div></div>

Oh hell yeah!!!! Make firing pin assemblies as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think there would be intrest in custom ground Winchester bolts. I have had a few calls . Thanks Dave </div></div>

Williams makes the extractors. If you did the bolt bodies and firing pin assemblies, then you could offer complete bolts. Then we just need to convince Glen Harrison to make a receiver. Voila - a modernized M70.

YES, it would
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reamers4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are finishing some 7075 t6 AI for a customer now under contract. We will Let them tell you all about it . It sure is nice this guy has a real nice latch on them. His cost will be very good also. My goal is to keep prices in check . If the parts are nice and the price is low we all make money and save money. Thanks Dave</div></div>

Anyone have more info on this? In regards to a drop-in AI compatible BM. Didnt see anything on the PTG website, and the only direct drop-in I know of is the wyatt, but with proprietary mags.

Please don't take this as bashing or complaining but why are the better brand dbm bottom metal made so as to require inletting of the stock to install them? Particularly with the Remington 700 the BDL inletting would seem to be pretty much standardised so the dimensions are known. Just wondering.

It's simply a fact of needing extra room. This extra room is taken up by thicker metal (durability/quality), and the type of magazine to be used. There is not enough room for a double stack magazine (e.g. AICS) in a standard bottom metal inlet. There are a few that are close, but none that are direct drop in that I am aware of. But there may be something on the horizon as noted above.

Williams makes the extractors. If you did the bolt bodies and firing pin assemblies, then you could offer complete bolts. Then we just need to convince Glen Harrison to make a receiver. Voila - a modernized M70. [/quote]

If Williams would sell to other manufacturers it would allready be done. Matt(williams) told me he is so sick of making extractors he isnt going to be making them any more. He is going on his own. I even looked into buying everything he had left but he was not interested. People dont realize how hard it is to machine the extractors. Hundreds of hours fixtureing and programming to be able to make them correctly and cheap enough to sell. IE volume. Beleive me its known this would be a great offering to the public. A modern M70 that is. Many have attempted, few have had any results worth repeating. Glen would be the one to pull it off.

Jason

Yeap , a modernised Parker Hale M85 ( with square reinforced Mauser 98 , with longer tunion ) .

BUT its not going to happen , too HARD , Sabre Defence said they where going to re-make the Ph M85 , for yrs , but in the end they figured it was Too Hard to do .

Later Chris

How about a replacement quality bottom metal for the Howa 1500 in short and long ( one of those in the pictures sure as heck looks like a Howa, is it for the Nosler 48?)
We are currently making our own DBM systems for the Howa,based on the AI mags, but not every one wants a drop box mag, some prefer a fold down plate.

Whilst i'm posting, just like to say a thanks to the folks at PTG, to date they have never failed to deliver. one of a shining few companies who take thier European customers seriously. Thankyou Dave and team. keep up the good work.

Pete

+1 to a Howa bottom metal, especially if it's similar in shape to the Nosler unit. I'm not a huge fan of the shape of the factory unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would interest me who make the Nosler 48 action, its 1 to 1 howa exept the sides machined off and a side mounted bolt stop.
any commens Dav?</div></div>

I was there when we were making up the first few prototypes a few years back. I know when they first got them going they were cast from the same place that does the ruger and montana actions. The rest of the machining changed shops quite frequently. Bob is great at getting a good price and tends to rip work out from under people. The engineers changed a few times during the prototype phase too. I machined some of the original small parts for mock up. Then remachined a bunch of parts that came in from a shop that didnt know anything about firearms. During testing of the first castings we tried everything we could to blow it up. No dice. We blew the barrel off before the action failed. Something alot of us were worried about with a cast action. Like I said tho... Bob will change things mid stride so who knows who is making them now or if theyre even cast anymore. I know they NEVER met the accuracy requirement he promises. I polished alot of turds in my time, but that project takes the cake. I wouldnt expect anything less than that from that family tho.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would interest me who make the Nosler 48 action, its 1 to 1 howa exept the sides machined off and a side mounted bolt stop.
any commens Dav?</div></div>

I was there when we were making up the first few prototypes a few years back. I know when they first got them going they were cast from the same place that does the ruger and montana actions. The rest of the machining changed shops quite frequently. Bob is great at getting a good price and tends to rip work out from under people. The engineers changed a few times during the prototype phase too. I machined some of the original small parts for mock up. Then remachined a bunch of parts that came in from a shop that didnt know anything about firearms. During testing of the first castings we tried everything we could to blow it up. No dice. We blew the barrel off before the action failed. Something alot of us were worried about with a cast action. Like I said tho... Bob will change things mid stride so who knows who is making them now or if theyre even cast anymore. I know they NEVER met the accuracy requirement he promises. <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I polished alot of turds in my time</span></span>, but that project takes the cake. I wouldnt expect anything less than that from that family tho.

Jason </div></div>

You should have rolled it in glitter!

As Pete said - It looks like a Howa 1500.

I have started prints and programs for Howa bottom metal,winchester firing pin assy.,winchester extractors and howa firing pin assy's. Look at our web site from time to time and we will ad them as they come off the lathes and mills. Thanks Dave.