• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTR 91 Owners

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
What do you think of them? Had a Sar 8 years ago trade it on an M1a then to DPMS.
Looking to trade on one (have a box of mags) so why sell'm when I can get a gun to use'm in.
How do you like'm? The one I'm looking at is the squad carbine 16" fluted,railed handguard.
Thanks

Reactions: Constructor
Re: PTR 91 Owners

I had mixed reviews on them. I had one that was very nice to shoot and one that just never would shoot the way I wanted it to.

They don't give great accuracy but if the one you get works well, they are very reliable for what they are (brute battle guns). The only real downside is the horrible factory trigger unless you get it fixed or a new one put on it.

I'd also invest in the original telescoping stock if you want something easy to carry around.

I owned one for about a year and it was a very nice rifle. Like the above post said, not much on accuracy, but it was designed to kill people, not 1 inch discs. The only problem that I ever had was an occasional misfire due to the firing pin not fully engaging the primer but that was very sporadic. Oh yeah, and when you fieldstrip the rifle, dont make the mistake of putting the bolt in the battery position. I had to learn the hard way! +1 for the retractable stock. Not much on function, but it looks badass!

They're a great gun, but do some research on them as there was a bad batch a while ago, so make sure yours is good to go.

+1 on W54s comment about the trigger, send that pack off to www.triggerwork.net and he will improve it 100 fold.

I personally wouldn't go with the original telescoping stock because those things are cheese-graters on the shoulder, get one of the ACE folding stocks for it, they're a great design and much more forgiving on the shoulder.

I totally agree with the previous post. There was a bad batch produced. It was said that the flutes in the chamber were cut incorrectly and it was causing extraction probs. I have a close friend who had one of the affected guns and it was extremely unreliable.. A call to ptr, wasn't helpfull either. They explained it to him, that it was ammo related and that x,y and z ammo shouldnt be used. The real HK rifles in my experience will shoot whatever you feed them. The info about the incorrect chamber fluting was provided by a well known HK builder.. not trying to bash ptr too much, as sometimes these things happen.. Just giving you a heads up. Obviously you won't be happy with an 800-1000$ ill running rifle..

Your expectations of the rifle will be determinative if it is a "good" option or not.

I have a good deal of experience with the HK91/G3/and clone rifles having worked on/built many myself as well as shooting the factory rifles.

First off, the PTR-91 rifles in my experience are the best of the best HK-91 clone rifles (a close race between them and the quality...before they went to SHITE...SAR-8 rifles from Springfield) with some limited exceptions of "bad" rifles leaving the factory (problems long-since resolved however). They are good quality "battle rifles" but without CONSIDERABLE time and money...they'll never compete with any of the big bore ARs in terms of accuracy. Your average PTR-91 in my experience, right from the factory, is generally capable of 3MOA accuracy or better with decent ammo/shooter/etc. With an upgraded trigger (like the Williams or Springfield I mention below), with quality ammo (NOT MIL SURPLUS ball ammo or cheaper commercial ball ammo), and with an experienced shooter, you can get them into the 2MOA range in my experience (and perhaps slightly better).

The upside to them...excellent reliability, more than suitable accuracy for what the rifle was designed for, better fit/finish on the PTRs than the OEM HK91/G3 rifles (and FAR better than any of the other clones on the market or available in the past), INCREDIBLY CHEAP AND PLENTIFUL MAGS (I paid around $75 or so for my last 50-pack of NIB aluminum mags...they run a little more these days at a whopping $2/mag)! The downside...a lack of meaningful aftermarket support for many items (as compared to the AR market), extreme HIGH cost of HK replacement parts/accessories, lack of modularity/flexibility (again...as compared to the AR market), mounting optics can be a PITA, hard on brass if you are reloading or planning on saving brass from the gun (can be resolved pretty well through installation of a port buffer (a $30 part).

+1 on a trigger job being one of the first, best things that can be done to vastly improve the accuracy potential of the HK91 and clone rifles. Williams does a fine job, as does Bill Springfield. Here are links to both sites:

http://www.triggerwork.net/hk.html

http://www.williamstriggers.com/page2.html

Additionally, if you have specs on the rifle you are considering trading for (like serial number/range, any barrel or receiver markings, etc.) I may be able to tell you if it falls into any of the "problem" era PTR/JLD rifles. The fluting issues have been well-documented. It was a multi-faceted issue involving both the number of flutes (10 vs. 12) as well as the dimensions of the flutes themsleves. All of the "problems" with some limited numbers of the PTRs can also be tied directly to the use of some incredibly pi$$ poor ammo (especially tar-sealed foreign mil surplus stuff) in conjunction with the fluting issues.

Reactions: Constructor

The port buffer is a must and installed in 5 seconds. Otherwise your brass is toast. Stay away from Radford GB Milsurp as it causes cycling problems due to a weak charge.

If you are buying new, get the GI model, as they eat all ammo and are a few hundred less. If you want one of the new black PTR91s make sure the SN is above AW8000. Most below serial #AW8000 have the tighter chamber and are more ammo picky. I have 4 of them and have only had ammo issues with the newer (AW75XX) one. It only eats commercial .308 ammo reliably and GI ammo 90%. Most of the newer ones I have seen and fired seem to have very good quality too.
The info on the SN tight chambers came directly from PTR

Your expectations of the rifle will be determinative if it is a "good" option or not.

I have a good deal of experience with the HK91/G3/and clone rifles having worked on/built many myself as well as shooting the factory rifles.

First off, the PTR-91 rifles in my experience are the best of the best HK-91 clone rifles (a close race between them and the quality...before they went to SHITE...SAR-8 rifles from Springfield) with some limited exceptions of "bad" rifles leaving the factory (problems long-since resolved however). They are good quality "battle rifles" but without CONSIDERABLE time and money...they'll never compete with any of the big bore ARs in terms of accuracy. Your average PTR-91 in my experience, right from the factory, is generally capable of 3MOA accuracy or better with decent ammo/shooter/etc. With an upgraded trigger (like the Williams or Springfield I mention below), with quality ammo (NOT MIL SURPLUS ball ammo or cheaper commercial ball ammo), and with an experienced shooter, you can get them into the 2MOA range in my experience (and perhaps slightly better).

The upside to them...excellent reliability, more than suitable accuracy for what the rifle was designed for, better fit/finish on the PTRs than the OEM HK91/G3 rifles (and FAR better than any of the other clones on the market or available in the past), INCREDIBLY CHEAP AND PLENTIFUL MAGS (I paid around $75 or so for my last 50-pack of NIB aluminum mags...they run a little more these days at a whopping $2/mag)! The downside...a lack of meaningful aftermarket support for many items (as compared to the AR market), extreme HIGH cost of HK replacement parts/accessories, lack of modularity/flexibility (again...as compared to the AR market), mounting optics can be a PITA, hard on brass if you are reloading or planning on saving brass from the gun (can be resolved pretty well through installation of a port buffer (a $30 part).

+1 on a trigger job being one of the first, best things that can be done to vastly improve the accuracy potential of the HK91 and clone rifles. Williams does a fine job, as does Bill Springfield. Here are links to both sites:

http://www.triggerwork.net/hk.html

http://www.williamstriggers.com/page2.html

Additionally, if you have specs on the rifle you are considering trading for (like serial number/range, any barrel or receiver markings, etc.) I may be able to tell you if it falls into any of the "problem" era PTR/JLD rifles. The fluting issues have been well-documented. It was a multi-faceted issue involving both the number of flutes (10 vs. 12) as well as the dimensions of the flutes themsleves. All of the "problems" with some limited numbers of the PTRs can also be tied directly to the use of some incredibly pi$$ poor ammo (especially tar-sealed foreign mil surplus stuff) in conjunction with the fluting issues.

I'm in the market for one with the following serial # A1098, would this fall into the problem era PTR-91 DMR/sniper rifles?

Thanks much,

Run about 400 rounds through one in a day shooting a 3 gun match or similar then try to do the same with a 308 AR. The ones I have had will eat anything, steel case, DAG, whatever. The Ergonomics may not be as good as an AR and they MAY be a little heavier but IMO they are more reliable. If I had to fight with a 308 I'd choose a HK clone over a 308 AR.

I had an HK 91 “on loan” for a year. I shot the heck out of it during that time. Undeniably awesome.

I have a PTR91 Pistol.
It’s understandably almost useless.
Shoots about 10moa... if I try hard enough.