• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTR-91 PDW 308 Close Quarters Weapon Accuracy?

Svartur_Skuggi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2010
Jefferson ; Texas
Hello everyone.....been along while since my last post because I simply havent had any questions. Before I ask this, I want everyone to know that i did a Google/Hide search for this question b4 hand. Maybe I didnt word my search right.....so here goes my question.

I was looking at the PTR-91 PDW Pistol as a shorty once I apply for my tax stamp. However; I am wondering what would be the longest distance (for an average shooter of 500-600 yards)that I could expect decent accuracy with this 308 weapon? I was hoping along the lines of atleast 200 yards and at 200 yards would it still be m.o.a. or m.o.m. I'd like to be told before applying for the tax stamp.

Also, while I am here.....
I have read both very good reviews and very bad reviews about this weapon. Anyone have any new insight as far as issues go?

Thanks Inadvance!
Shane

Re: PTR-91 PDW 308 Close Quarters Weapon Accuracy?

There's a thing called "overpenetration."

There's a reason police/military have stuck with M4's and MP5's despite all the potent/powerful rounds that have come out over the years.

If you want an SBR chambered in 308 for shits and giggles, go for it, but I'm not going to recommend a CQC weapon chambered in 7.62x51

Thanks for the input slothlacrosse
smile.gif

I'm not too worried about overpenetration though.
I live in the country now with no one else really around me.
I would like the ability to fire not only alittle bit out with the cqc, but have the ability to still tag someone IF they are on the otherside of the wall, this is why I would like to go with the ptr in 308.
So unlike the police/military, using the 308 would be more to my needs (wants). I would just like some info from those in the know, about what I should expect as far as distance, drop, and accuracy out to around 200 yards.

In my opinion the Pistol type versions of the HK-91 are rather dumb.

The HK-91 series has a fair bit of recoil and a shoulder stock is a big help.
The HK-91 series weighs a lot.
A pistol type weapon based on it would be fine for holding at waist level and feeling cool spraying bullets, but pretty useless for any serious work.

What I would suggest starting out with if you want one based on the HK-91 series is a 16 inch barrel model with a muzzle brake and the original german slide in / slide out stock, and add a folding front grip depending on the stock you pick.

Example from PTR Rifles

That configuration as is would give you an excellent starting base that would be very useable as is, then you could turn it into an SBR later if you want (Note you may have to put in different rollers depending on the length of the barrel).

100 to 300 yard quick hitting a man sized target with the fixed sights or an eotech etc is easily done, going longer than that requires a bit of work.

The issue however is if you want a CQB weapon that can go out to 200 yards, realistically something based of an AR-15 platform is going to be half the weight and way easier to move around with.

This weapon has an 8.5" barrel. Data for the shortest barrel I can find at the moment is for a 14" barrel, shows a 150gr fmj doing 2500fps. Subtract 50 fps per inch of barrel lost, that comes out to 2250fps or so. This bullet will be traveling about 1680fps when it reaches 300yds, at 943ft lbs. and 25" of drop.
I must admit, this pistol seems pretty Hollywood cool, but there are some major issues that would steer me away from this toy. First, is reliability. The only review I could find was not good. Second, with your requirements, your penetration goals could be accomplished with a smaller, lighter, cheaper, easier to handle platform that is proven & combat tested. Third, firing full power .308 ball out of an 8" barrel is going to suck. Wear gloves, glasses, & earmuffs.
About 10 years ago, I learned the hard way. Just because they are selling it, doesn't mean it works as advertised.
Now, after all this, if you still buy it, would you report back & let us know objectively, the pros & cons of this weapon?

My personal opinion is NO pistol 7.62 even as an SBR unless you are running a supressor. Even then it is a strange animal that has restrictions...

The short barrel 308 throws a fire ball that is out of this world....

The shortest I would go is 16" on a 7.62/308...

SBR a 9mm or 5.56....

It is just an opinion.

I agree that this is not a practical weapon for shooting out to 200 or 300 yrds. It is however a very reliable and well made gun. I do not own one but there are several guys on hkpro.com in the clone section that have them and have posted about them you might want to do a search over there.

I am a fan of HK clones and own four of them. For your purposes I agree that a 16" barreled PTR 91 with a collapasable or side folder stock would work best.