• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTR91's

Re: PTR91's

I had one with the MP5 style collapsible stock and a top rail. Mounted a 6x on it and was able to get sub 2" groups w LC ammo. The stock was cool looking but basically worthless. To be honest, I just enjoyed shooting it. Never really considered it an accurate rifle, just fun. If you get one and use brass cased ammo that you dont want destroyed, install a port buffer. Its a must.

I've had one. It was pretty nice!

CDNN has them for like $899 right now so snag one up. Yes the A3 stocks do suck ass so just get a regular fixed stock.

Also get a wide handguard for on the front. I have a black one I'm no longer using. If you want to pick it up, PM me, else I'll post it for sale over at HKPro.

Make sure you send your trigger pack off Bill Springfield. He'll basically make it a match trigger with about 4lbs of pull.

If you get one. Get the GI mod. The Heavy barrel version has a problem with the Flutes. You cant shoot mil-spec 7.62 ammo. The case will not extract. The Heavy barrels were made bye T/C and do not have the correct no. or depth of fluteing. Check the web page for PTR on the whole problem. The GI mod. With light barrel works great though.

Got one that I have put about 1000 rounds thru. Fit and finnish are great, best HK clone that I have seen. I have never been a fan of the rotating drum rear sight and that is one thing I don't like about mine plus it has a adjustment knob on the right side that is awkward and looks like it could be broken off easily. Magazines are cheap and plentiful, 1 to 5 bucks depending where you find them. As stated above, it does tear up brass.
I don't like the charging handleup by the gas tube. I know some guys that rub 550 cord thru it to give them some extra leverage should they need it. Very reliable, works good, like the delayed blowback operation system. Doesn't work great in
fine sand, but not much does. My 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Havent shot mine yet but hmm port buffer? Enlighten me please </div></div>

Ejection post buffer($20?) snaps onto the receiver on the rear side of the ejection port. Forces ejected brass into a rubber buffer that saves the brass from critical damage and also reduces the distance thrown. An absolute must.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had one. It was pretty nice!

CDNN has them for like $899 right now so snag one up. Yes the A3 stocks do suck ass so just get a regular fixed stock.

Also get a wide handguard for on the front. I have a black one I'm no longer using. If you want to pick it up, PM me, else I'll post it for sale over at HKPro.

Make sure you send your trigger pack off Bill Springfield. He'll basically make it a match trigger with about 4lbs of pull. </div></div>
Oh yeah, I forgot about the awful trigger. Good idea! Manipulating the safety is a real treat as well. Still a fun rifle to shoot.

I was looking to get one in the 18in barrel. Switch out the A3 stock with a Magpul adjustable and a picatinny front form arm. I've never heard of Bill Springfield. But I will look him up. There is another person that does trigger work on them Williams Triggers. He is very good and adjust from a hunting weight to a match weight. Once I get it i'll post pictures of it.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WVgunsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you guys own or shot one? I barrowed one from a friend and I was impressed with the accuracy with Military ammo. I am looking to get one. What do some of you guys think?</div></div>

Good:
Reliable. Looks cool.

Bad:
Very front-heavy. Heavy overall. Bad trigger. Mediocre fixed stock, terrible collapsing stock. Front sight appears to be a sheet metal stamping. Bad trigger. Can't reach magazine release without changing hold. Claw mounts are awkward. Brass gets ruined. The roller delay bolt parts take some getting used to for disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Forearm won't take HK bipods. Have to be careful not to replace certain parts with foreign parts or you violate 922(R).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WVgunsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you guys own or shot one? I barrowed one from a friend and I was impressed with the accuracy with Military ammo. I am looking to get one. What do some of you guys think?</div></div>

Good:
Reliable. Looks cool.

Bad:
Very front-heavy. Heavy overall. Bad trigger. Mediocre fixed stock, terrible collapsing stock. Front sight appears to be a sheet metal stamping. Bad trigger. Can't reach magazine release without changing hold. Claw mounts are awkward. Brass gets ruined. The roller delay bolt parts take some getting used to for disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Forearm won't take HK bipods. Have to be careful not to replace certain parts with foreign parts or you violate 922(R).</div></div>

Ha ha ha ha! Wow...I'd say that pretty much sums it up! LoL
smile.gif

I agree that the cons outweigh the pros with the PTR-91. I just sold mine. I bought it 5 years ago and since then 308 ARs have really improved. Back then the PTR seemed like a good alternative to the the 308 AR. Not so much anymore. Never could get over that PTR trigger - even after Williams Trigger Works did their work to fix it up. I don't think I'll miss that PTR... and if I do, then I'll pick out an AR10 and be much happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Havent shot mine yet but hmm port buffer? Enlighten me please </div></div>

port buffer = rubber/plastic piece that goes on the back of ejection port to lessen damage to brass in case you reload. the have very energetic ejection.

I have the 16" version...like it alot. Replaced the handguard with an HK wide, found an HK bipod, port buffer and carry handle. HK leather sling and Hensoldt 4x. Mags are dirt cheap. A great weapon.

Fun gun to shoot, very reliable, but a must is to get the trigger done. I had mine done by Bill Springfield and was very impressed with it and cheap($35).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 16" version...like it alot. Replaced the handguard with an HK wide, found an HK bipod, port buffer and carry handle. HK leather sling and Hensoldt 4x. Mags are dirt cheap. A great weapon.</div></div>

The handguard is specifically mentioned as a US-part in PTR FAQ, so if you added a genuine HK (German made) handguard you almost certainly have violated 18 USC 922(r) and now have an illegal rifle.

http://www.ptr91.com/faq/#nul

The G3/HK-91 design has 17 parts on the list of "no more than 10 parts", so 7 or more parts have to be replaced with US-made parts to comply with 18 USC 922(R). The PTR-91 FAQ states they use 7 parts, so changing ANY ONE of their US-made parts with a foreign made part means you are violating 18 USC 922(r).

You can get more information here:
http://922r.com/

If you replaced your handguard with a US-made wide handguard, you are fine. If you used a German part, you either need to swap back or you need to replace one of your other imported parts (on the specified list) to a domestic part.

Another 922r Czar.

Parts count is right...but hey, thanks for the heads up. We all know all those parts, foreign or domestic, are stamped...with the makers ID and date...yup, sure. I've got 922r vision...and can pick out (not that it matters one damn bit...or the fact that the agent inspecting said weapon has LITTLE or NO training to do the same) those non-compliant weapons sight unseen.

Seriously, I do appreciate the school lesson. Some are very unaware of these requirements and they COULD get someone in hot water...like all those smiths and verdors with the hi-cap US made mags in those unconverted Saigas
cry.gif

Some of the 922(r) nazis (not directed at you, Bravo) need to get your facts straight and quit with the Internet/keyboard commando BS already!

PTR makes all...REPEAT ALL...of their current rifles with 8 US-made parts (only 7 required for 922r compliance) which include:

1 - Receiver;
2 - Barrel;
3 - Stock;
4 - Pistol Grip;
5 - Bolt Head;
6 - Bolt Carrier;
7 - Hand Guard; and
8 - Trunion.

Additionally, MOST current production PTR-91 rifles also use US-made:

1 - Hammer;
2 - Trigger;
3 - Sear; and
4 - Cocking Handle.

Thus, the US parts count is MORE than sufficient for you to swap out to at least SOME non-US parts if you so desire.

The PTR-91 / G3 / HK91 rifles are nice shooters. I had a factory HK91, sold it and built a clone (but better) on a PTR receiver.
When I say better I installed a paddle mag release which is a nice add on if your a DIY kind of guy. I had a brand new HK parts set and a PTR receiver for my build. My PTR receiver fit my Hensoldt / HK claw scope BETTER than my factory 91. Go figure.

I never purchased a port buffer. My friend sprang for one and it still dented the brass. HK is a brass hammer. If its not dented the carbonized chamber flutes makes brass look like trash. I got a carry handle instead and its more functional.

Triggers are bad "as is". It took me and hour with stones to make mine nice. I actually like the diopter sights. The front sight gives a sharp sight picture. Adjusting the rear is easier IF you have the HK sight tool. You can do it with tweezers if your careful. They are combat sights and once zeroed are to be left alone. Windage adjustment is narrow range so if your building front sight indexing is important before securing.

Recoil is pretty mild (if your headspace is correct). If your bolt gap is narrow or gone it WILL kick you and let you know.
Headspace is set by pressing and pinning the barrel to set the bolt gap in the middle range. + or - bolt roller are available to tweak it if needed for small adjustments.

Something to watch for in built guns is the bolt carrier face to cocking lever surface clearance. If there is a large gap (dime thickness) you will have a hard to release bolt when cocking. If the carrier is making contact it can hammer the cocking tube and bend it. Head space it first then fit the cocking tube. Not hard to do at all and important to be done correctly.

The retractable stock LOOKS cool but sucks to use (IMHO). I went standard green military with the wide forearm & bipod.

Mags are everywhere and cheap.
Excellent Hensoldt optics & mount are inexpensive and work well.

The parts game is what it is. I think you can also stick a Thermold magazine in it for a USA part unless that was changed.

I never intended to sell the HK but when I looked at the PTR quality and available parts it made it easy to sell the HK, build a PTR and have money left over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thus, the US parts count is MORE than sufficient for you to swap out to at least SOME non-US parts if you so desire.</div></div>

I always appreciate a correction, it enhances my knowledge.

The PTR FAQ says a minimum of 7 parts, but I see now that information conflicts with the list of parts right below it, which count to 8. Even PTR can't seem to get it straight.