• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTSD ??

Duc

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
NE. Illinios
Have a Bud that is 6 months back from Afgan. and has been diagnosed with Post-traumatic stress disorder. Army wants (Ordered) to send him to a facility in CA. to get their help, but it will take Him away from the wife and 2 kids, and He's not liking it.
He is ANG Officer.
I was wondering if anyone here knows if the Army treatment can help or are there other ways without having to leave home-life?
Don't want to know what they do, just if its a step up or to the side for Him
Thanks, Duc

Re: PTSD ??

He may want to get help at a closer VA facility. In regards to whether it will help: Won't know til he tries. As for medical, it's like everything the Army buys, wich is lowest bidder. I'll never forget the look on the other Marines and Soldier's face when I attended a VA counselling session after the Gulf War, wich was part of a Post-Gulf War study. The 20 something year old cousellor asked everyone in the room to hold hands and tell of something stressful or traumatic. The whole room erupted in laughter and she stomped angrily out of the room. That was my only insight to the VA mental health specialty.

Duc,

Being a prior veteran of Iraq and Afgan., tell him to check out his local veteran assistance centers. They might have some info on what other alternatives as far as help goes. Also have him check out a private counselor. Those are the roads I would look at before packing up shop to go to California. I know for me, I was not diagnosed with PTSD, but having people that I loved and know very well is always a big plus in my book. The moral support and care they can provide is SOMETIMES the one thing we need. Hope this helps.

Triman

Coming from personal experience, PTSD can be very hard to deal with, especially not having the help and support channels to guide you. Don't let him skip it, make him go to a civilian doctor if he can afford it, Tri-Care should reimburse him. My personal experience with the VA has been top notch, best care I've ever seen.

Duc,

I'll send you a PM as well. Not really wanting to air out my med file here.

Either way, I know of some resources.

a few questions which you can answer here if you want or in PM if you prefer:

1) Army National Guard Officer...is he on an "active" NG status or is he expected to be de-activated post-PTSD treatment and go back to the drill schedule?
2) The TDY treatment centers are generally reserved for the super bad cases (think rocking in the corner or absolutely lost it)...is he that bad? My only thought is that he isn't *that* bad but they don't have .gov facilities close enough
3) If he is on Active status and there isn't a sufficient medical facility nearby, he can request that the local Army doc/psych recommend he be seen by an off-post provider. I actually did this at Fort Carson because I didn't trust the Army Behavioral Health System- specifically Fort Carson due to their shady ways. I was able to be seen by a Tri-Care approved provider at the gov's cost. I thoroughly believe that being seen by a civilian provider is what kept me from suck starting my pistol.
4) His wife and kids will need to understand that they have a choice: Stick by him through thick, thin, and whatever else he comes up with, via Military One Source there is immediate counseling available for both the couple as well as their kids.
5) What sort of unit is he in? Is it a unit that is prepared to deal with his medical situation or are they going to hang him out to dry? It sounds like they are trying to do the right thing, but it almost sounds too drastic. Then again- I'm not a health care provider and I haven't met the guy.

Whatever He has gone through, I can only offer this: It never gets better, it's always there and you just learn how to deal with it. I've finally gotten to a point where the specific incidents that led to my diagnosis no longer affect me like they used to. Now I am experiencing more of the ancillary symptoms. The first 3 years of the crap I went through to get the Army to listen led me on a bad downward spiral internally. The earlier he gets help, the better off he will be.

I don't really know all the ways the NG handles things, but it sounds like they are trying to do the right thing, even if it's not right for him in the short time.

I'd recommend a few things without any of my questions being answered:

1) He and his wife need to read everything they can about PTSD. They then need to explain that in a broken down manner for the kids appropriate to their ages.

2) He needs to realize that his PTSD is not an excuse to fly off the handle about every little thing. My ex-wife didn't understand that pushing my buttons on purpose was a bad idea. My current girlfriend has more of the right idea about politely and tactfully calling me on my bullshit. Between Therapy and understanding of loved ones and friends, it is a very manageable condition.

3) He needs to get to a provider with NO vested interest in anything but HIM getting better. The Army wants him in boots, and they will check the block if it means keeping him in boots. The best thing I ever did was get out. I miss it, I loved it, but I can't be in the military environ anymore. Even going to the VA gives me the creeps, especially seeing all those old codgers with their baseball caps and dd214 spelled out in pins.

4) He needs to find comfort, empathy, and understanding in his comrades and fellow soldiers via a support group. As was mentioned before, the VA Vet centers are great for this as the majority of the counselors are former soldiers, many with combat experience. Nothing is worse in PTSD than the moments you feel the entire world is against you, your friends hate you,etc.

I have a book:http://www.amazon.com/Down-Range-Bridget-C-Cantrell/dp/1933150068

This book has helped my parents a lot when dealing with my BS, even from across the country. I finally gave it to my gf to read and it has helped her as well.

If his unit doesn't readily have similar materials available, it will be be in the mail first thing monday once I get your address.

Regards,
Brad

Do what they ask. Your post service VA benefits may depend on it. Mine did, and I lost out.

Afterward, establish a relationship with the Behavioral Medicine service at your local VA facility.

Greg

The guys at VA are darn good. The best thing for anyone is to be WITH their family and it's support. That is one of the strongest coping mechanisms for a guy because it helps add some normalcy to life. I would hesitate to even think about considering getting help from someone who is a psyk or counselor who hasn't 'been there' or 'done that'.
I don't think for a minute that anyone who hasn't served in theater would have a clue as to what is going through a veteren's mind. PTSD is a mf'r because many things can contribute to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.................
I don't think for a minute that anyone who hasn't served in theater would have a clue as to what is going through a veteren's mind. PTSD is a mf'r because many things can contribute to it. </div></div>

And it can mimic many other problems. You have to get someone that knows about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 20 something year old cousellor asked everyone in the room to hold hands and tell of something stressful or traumatic. The whole room erupted in laughter and she stomped angrily out of the room.</div></div>

I don't know. I can't judge. But what I can do, is laugh uproariously at this one comment. About the only thing missing is the "let's all sing Kumbaya" (?) crap.

I can just imagine the scenario. And this is the leadership to which we answer to, as well.

6 months away or a lifetime away when she leaves for not being able to cope with anger, staring at walls, nightmares...

Do the 6 months, she can fly out and see him..

Sean, that 'Kumbayah' shit killed me!
No bullshit, when my mother was on her deathbed, we were in the room with all her friends and her friends uh, 'female godess preacher lady'. She says,"Ok lets all link hands and give Charmaine our good energy with our thoughts" My brother looks around, me I know whats coming and stare ice at him. He says,"If you all start singing Kumbayah, I am out of here" I fuckin lost it and could not stop laughing for so long. It still makes me laugh to this day....Kumbayah my ass!

V.A. around here has contracted outpatient counseling set up for servicemembers diagnosed with ptsd. I think they offered 3 free sessions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelRouser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">V.A. around here has contracted outpatient counseling set up for servicemembers diagnosed with ptsd. I think they offered 3 free sessions. </div></div>You should be service connected if diagnosed and receive care for life. Three sessions won't do anything.

I receive very good psychopharmacological care and quarterly followup. There was one attempt to put me into a 'discussion group' which failed utterly. They rendered a rather diplomatic decision that I was 'too high functioning' to fit in, and then notified me that they did not have any 'high functioning groups' in the region for me to join. Oh, goody! Just as well; I'd probably have organized a coup...

You mean it wasn't the acerbic attitude and 'why ya such a cry baby' comments that made you leave Greg?
grin.gif

From personal experience. Do a search for military one source. Do a 10 minute screening over the phone and they set you up with counselors in your area. You decide who you go to and they set it up. You just make the follow up call to the counselor and set the appointment date. They give you 12 free sessions- per issue. It also offers family counseling as well.

Not sure how that will work if you are ordered to go though. Somebody mentioned already that you have a short window to get it addressed. Not doing so may come back and bite you later- no assistance at all.

He needs to Go to his local Vet center for help. If he is sevice connected for PTSD then they will help with the counseling. I went to a support group at my local vet center for many years and it does help. If he is not service connected then he needs to have an evoluation done by the VA to access his total percent of PTSD he is dealing with. His local VA will be able to help him get all the information he needs.

No, I just discovered that no matter what the cause or who's the bearer, the consequences of stupidity were just too much for me to bear in silence. That includes my own, for allowing myself to be backed into such ludicrous corners...

IMHO, psychopathology is on the same rung as Voodoo, with as much credulity as parapsychology. Psychopharmacology, however, has yielded me some palpable relief.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMHO, psychopathology is on the same rung as Voodoo, with as much credulity as parapsychology. Psychopharmacology, however, has yielded me some palpable relief.

Greg </div></div>

I assume you mean psychotherapy (intervention) and not psychopathology (illness).

There is very good evidence documenting the efficacy of specific targeted psychotherapy interventions with PTSD. The most common of these are cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). Neither of these are the join hands and emote together variety.

The trouble is, not all therapists use interventions with documented efficacy and there is a huge gap of knowledge and skills among therapists.

Tell your friend to read all he can on evidence based interventions for PTSD (such as CBT, EMDR and pharmacological) before committing to any therapy. There are good practitioners out there (both medical and psychosocial). Find one.