• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pulling Bullets

Savage15

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2012
New York
Hey all,

I have a bunch of rounds in 308, 7mm 08 and .30-06 to pull using the RCBS puller die and collet. I was wondering if the brass needs to be resized after i pull the bullets out. If it does is it safe to run primed brass through the resizing die? Will this set off the primers or not?

Re: Pulling Bullets

I would think the brass would not need resizing the RCBS puller does not do anything but grab the bullet in a collet. Another reason is the puller is a standard part and you change the collets for different calibers. As for as resizing with live primers make sure you remove the primer pin and go slow. Also while doing anything with live primer wear safty glasses.

Inerta puller will leave the bullets unharmed if you put a rubber eraser in the end of it. It is a bit of a drag on large #s though. Pulling with collet puller is hard on bullets.

I use the rcbs to change charge weights often when working up loads and never resize. The design of the rcbs puller is great; as long as you set the collet when the neck is touching, you can re-set the bullet to the same depth with the puller. The only change in neck tension will be from streching the brass ~0.002 one additional time. How the hell is that going to change anything that any of us would ever notice?

That's a good idea MtnCreek i hadn't thought of that and since i probably wont see the effect of a little less tension in my hunting rifles ill just leave the cases alone and use the same primers.

Thanks for the responses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the rcbs to change charge weights often when working up loads and never resize. The design of the rcbs puller is great; as long as you set the collet when the neck is touching, you can re-set the bullet to the same depth with the puller. The only change in neck tension will be from streching the brass ~0.002 one additional time. How the hell is that going to change anything that any of us would ever notice?</div></div> I don't know. Why does anyone bother using neck bushing dies or even expander balls?

Just pull and reload. I might size again if you are running it through an abusive auto, but then you should be ok just crimping into a cannelure. I always run primed brass throu resizing die I just take out the whle decamp ping stem. Do it allot to fix factory second 300whisper/blackout. Accuracy drops off a bit.

My experience with pulling bullets on loaded Military ammo in order to re-meter the powder charges more evenly leads me to believe that whatever is going on does not affect accuracy when I simply re-seat the bullets after charging the cases.

Generally, I will only resize fired cases. Fired case necks have gone through an expansion process.

I don't personally believe resizing is necessary where the bullet has been collet pulled.

I reseat the bullets according to published max overall cartridge length, using a conventional bullet seating die. Never thought about reseating using the collet for reseating. Since I have the reseating die, that's what I use; it leaves no doubts or questions about how well the collet may or may not be working for that process. I believe in using the proper tool for the job.

Since the ammo I question is Berdan primed, decapping the case was never an option.

Greg

If I were re-charging a bunch of cases I would probably just dump all the powder and re-seat using a die. 99% of the bullet pulling I do is adjusting charges in new loads. Sometimes the first charge weight group is all over the place, so there's no need to keep shooting them. Sometimes I see something at 44grs that tells me not to shoot the 44.5gr loads... I'll pull, dump the powder on the scale, adjust and re-seat.