• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar xp50 lrf vs pulsar xg50 lrf

JohnDeereGuy1996

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I’ve decided to upgrade my thermal game and could use some knowledge. I’ve narrowed it down to these two options but not sure which is the best fit for me and my uses. Was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could chime in.

It’s mostly open fields where I’ll be hunting but possibly some 75 yard and in stands as well. Will be used for coyote 99 percent of the time. No hogs here yet. I’m in northeast Arkansas so humidity is definitely a factor. I can’t really find a difference between the two besides magnification range and some of the sensor numbers. Which obviously equates to one being better for my uses vs the other.

Appreciate the help.

With the Thermion 2, Pulsar went back to using the LYNRED/ULIS sensor. Due the micron difference (12µm and 17µm), this ends up impacting your FOV and magnification.

Thermion 2 XP50 LRF: 2x base magnification, 12.4° FOV
Thermion 2 XG50 LRF: 3x base magnification, 8.8° FOV

This may not seem like a lot of difference, but that is a 41% larger field of view on the XP. So, the XP excels at close to medium distance stuff such as hogs, etc or hunting in tighter terrains. The XG50 is better for more open environments where shots tend to be longer on fewer objects. The following is just my way of explaining to people. You can shoot pretty comfortably to about 300 yards with the XP50 and around 400 yards with the XG50.

Another difference is the NETD rating. Pulsar will say the lower NETD rating of the XP50 will be less impacted from an image perception by high humidity and inclement weather. I would personally base the decision on the FOV and magnification.