• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pulsar XQ38 vs Armasight Predator 640

SaltySpring

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Hello, this is my first post but not entirely sure if I'm on the right forum website for this question.
I want to purchase a thermal weapon sight to mount to an AR15 for hunting, and to use as a monocular for security. For security, I want to be able to see and identify a human and know if they're carrying a rifle or a bow from a couple hundred yards out.
I can not spend $5K on this so I'm working with a budget of $2500 to $3000 or so.

Trying to choose between a Pulsar XQ38 (384 x 288 sensor with a 32mm lens) and an Armasight Predator 640 (640 x 512 sensor with a 25mm lens).

The Pulsar has a bigger lens by 7mm but the Armasight has much higher resolution with its 640 sensor. Does the higher resolution of the Armasight unit make up for the fact that it has a smaller lens? Or is the big glass more important than sensor resolution?

384 x 288 = 110,592 pixels @ 32mm
640 x 512 = 327,680 pixels @25mm

Both units are about the same price. Which unit would you think is better?

I can’t speak to the direct comparison you mentioned but I can tell you that I went with the Pulsar and have been very happy with it.

The resolution on the unit would be fine to do what you are asking about and the reputation of Flir/Armasight hasn’t been good recently.

In before someone gives you lots of detail on why NV is superior for identification and to use thermal for detection. ?

Reactions: SaltySpring
I compared a pulsar xq50 to an armasight zeus 640 50mm lens unit. The native mag on the pulsar is 2.7 and the armasight is 2. The armasight mag looked more like 1.6-1.8x. The pulsar was the better unit for detail ease of use and resolution despite the zeus being 640 res. Now I am debating if I want a xq38 for the field of view or stay with the xq50 for mag and bigger lens? My feeling is that they will both function pretty similarly. If anyone out there feels strongly that the xq50 or xq38 is sig better for some function I would love to hear a report from someone who has compared them side by side. Hope this isnt a hijack as I think this might be helpful for original poster as well. Dean

Reactions: SaltySpring
OP; curious where you have found an XQ38 for $3k. I have found the XQ30 for under $3k but not the 38model.

Second that. I thought all I could afford was the XQ model. Glad I upgraded to an XP. Just watch different sites for used ones.

My first and only purchase was a Pulsar XQ38 for eradication on our ranch. I do not think that it will offer the same "picture quality" as the Armasight due to the resolution difference...

...However, if you are not trying to become the next internet sensation with thermal hunting videos I fully believe that the XQ38 is an outstanding unit. It is very easy to grasp the functions, and will easily pick up deer on my longest pasture/meadow combination (just shy of 1,000 yards). It offers enough resolution that you aren't second-guessing yourself either when you are distinguishing hogs from calves...and that is the selling point for me. I paid $3,200 with QD mount for mine last year.

It is not the top tier scope that others use, but for half the price you can do all of the same hunting.

Second that. I thought all I could afford was the XQ model. Glad I upgraded to an XP. Just watch different sites for used ones.
What are the better sites for these used thermals? Like to find a nice one but can’t spend over about $3000. Thanks, Will