• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Punching out good primers

Andy Warhog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2011
W/C MO
How I got to the point of needing to punch 100 perfectly good primers out of their new homes in the bottom of my nice perty brass isn't important. I'm just wondering if they could safely be reused?

Sure, modern primers are tough as shit. I wouldn't use them in a match or hunting probably but I'd have no problem using them in range ammo. Give the primer manufacturer a call tomorrow and see what they say.

I've not had to punch out that many, but have on occasion needed to punch out a few. I re-use them for foulers/sighters, not for razors edge accuracy, just as Creature said.

Got a neck sizer? Its much easier to punch them out without fighting the friction of a full-length sizer die. Slow and smooth, you don't want to force them or strike them in any way (!)

Hell yeah, that's what I like to hear! Good call on the neck sizer az, never would've thought of it like that. I'll remember that next time, cuz I'm sure there'll be plenty of next times haha. Thanks dudes!

Just a comment on re-using them..

They will have their outside diameters crushed in a bit, from having been pressed in once already. You'll want to press them back into either new or once fired cases; brass with a half dozen cycles on them will have the primer pockets starting to loosen up some, and the 'used' primers may not seal in those

The only issue I have encountered using reclaimed primers is checking the anvils. Occasionally, one will fall out.

I purchased 20k reclaimed 30 Carbine primers several years ago at Knob Creek. What can I say. At $6 per 1k it was worth a shot.

They do feel a little strange when seating them as the anvil is already compressed. About one per 200 would be missing its anvil. The rest have proven 100% reliable. Wish I'd gotten more.

He meant $10, and I use the Lee universal decapping die. It's great, especially if you use SS media to clean your brass and want to deprime before cleaning so the primer pockets get a little cleaning too.

Lee universal decapping die is about $100 and has one of the best pins.around

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL, the Lee universal decapper is actually a "little" cheaper than that.

Mine has worked great on everything I've used it on, from pistol brass all the way up through 300 RUM. I've deprimed 1,000's of live primers......you just have to be gentle about it and ease them out, not run it up at full speed.

ETA: Sentry beat me to it.

This scenario has LONG been a concern of mine... thanx for having the courage to post this question. :)

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I primed 100 pieces of LC Match brass with CCI-200's. Now I have Federal 210M's and have been debating the primer swap. I've done a few cases but not 100 or so before. Universal deprimer and a gentle press.

Yep, Lee Universal decapper. Buy a few spare pins. It's cheap and tough, punches out crimped 5.56 even...

I keep decapped live primers seperate and when I need to bump out a dented shoulder on the rifle case, I use it with 5gr of Unique powder and cotton wool.

I have no problem whatsoever using pull-down primers, even for accuracy work.

However, the note above about missing anvils (and the associated "click" when you should of heard a "bang") means you need to inspect them all to be sure they've got the anvil, if you are counting on the ammo to work (think matches).

I've certainly noticed they seat a little softer than "virgin" primers, but I've not had any issue whatsover.

The only ones I haven't been able to re-use were from a few hundred primed .30-06 cases I bought that were pulled-down M2 ball, manufactured between 1942 and 1950. The crimp that held the primers in caused the decapping die to dome them out.

The whole idea was to get rid of them anyways, however. Didn't want corrosive primers going off in my M1 (not scared, just lazy w/corrsive clean-up).

I have done it about a dozen times with Fed 210 primers and worked perfectly. I just made sure to go real easy and steady so as not to piss the things off.