• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Purchased suppressor from out of state Dealer. Where do I transfer to in Houston?

HTX_17

Lurker Extraordinaire
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Houston
Hoping to pull from the collective knowledge here. Today I bought a new can from an out of state dealer. No problem there, however when I touched base with a familiar dealer local to me-I was quoted $200 for the can to be Form 3’d to them and another $200 for them to help prepare the Form 4. On top of the NFA tax stamp, my $1200 suppressor just turned into an $1800 one. Needless to say, I’m looking for alternatives.

Where is everyone in Houston transferring their cans to?

I bought all mine from Silencer Shop. For the most part they have their act together when it comes to paperwork. They have a network of dealers that sign up to be Powered By dealers... Silencer Shop does all the paperwork to Form 3 the can to your local guy, then Silencer Shop fills out all the form 4 documents too and submits it to the ATF. The Powered By dealers pretty much don't have to do anything.

You have to pay sales tax (in Texas) but it still isn't that bad considering the alternatives.

I am not meaning to scare you or put you off your purchase but I would NOT just pick any old random place to do your NFA paperwork. I've heard story after story of people getting things messed up and having cans be in limbo for ages, well beyond normal wait times. There have been more than one nightmare reports out there about dealers that screwed up their NFA paperwork. I would cast a very wide net and find very reputable people to do your transfer. You might even be able to call Silencer Shop and see if they would do it for you.

At very least you can find a list of dealers that can deal with NFA items on their website.

AND avoid the dik that quoted you $200/$200 in the future

Absolutely. The fact that they quoted you that much for that to me is a red flag. Avoid at all cost and not because of the money.

Really appreciate it @alamo5000. Silencershop is probably my best go to. I’ll buzz them tomorrow.

I have two shops in my town and to be honest I don't like either. One is a known price gouger who has a reputation for being a complete asshole and the other is run by trailer park carnival people. That said using Silencer Shop (unless I want to drive to the next town over) I can just walk in and leave with my suppressor in 5 minutes (once the transfer is complete).

Definitely though-- go through somebody that knows what they are doing. Gun shops are kind of like Gun Smiths. None of them are created equal.

Hoping to pull from the collective knowledge here. Today I bought a new can from an out of state dealer. No problem there, however when I touched base with a familiar dealer local to me-I was quoted $200 for the can to be Form 3’d to them and another $200 for them to help prepare the Form 4. On top of the NFA tax stamp, my $1200 suppressor just turned into an $1800 one. Needless to say, I’m looking for alternatives.

Where is everyone in Houston transferring their cans to?
Primary Arms. Using the Silencer Shop kiosk only costs like $5 on top of the tax stamp. If I remember correctly, they didn’t charge s transfer fee.

Reactions: HTX_17
Primary Arms. Using the Silencer Shop kiosk only costs like $5 on top of the tax stamp. If I remember correctly, they didn’t charge s transfer fee.
I think I drove past their store front within the past month. Are they on the Beltway?

Take a look at Texas Gun Club I have a Yhm Resonator there. I used a SS kiosk, an added bonus they have a indoor 50 yard range!

Shooters Station in Conroe would be worth checking out. I think it was a $75 transfer fee, might have been $50. Great people to work with, they made the process super quick and easy for me. They also have a 100yd indoor range

I think I drove past their store front within the past month. Are they on the Beltway?
Yes, just east of 288 on the south side of town. They are appt only for ffl purchases due to covid, and curbside pick up only for everything else, so check their website for contact info.

I read that they are also doing free shipping for local addresses, because of covid.

I bought 2 suppressors at the Silencer Shop brick and mortar store in Austin. Had them transferred to Primary Arms. Form 4 through the kiosk at Silencer Shop was super easy. SS handled all of the paperwork and Primary Arms called when the stamps came in. There was no form 3 transfer fee. If there was a 4473 fee, I don’t remember it- must have been inconsequential if there were.

If someone is charging $400 for a suppressor transfer, they are telling you that they don’t want your business. Then again, I firmly believe that most gun stores in the Houston area are kept in business by their competition. PA is a notable exception.

Yes, just east of 288 on the south side of town. They are appt only for ffl purchases due to covid, and curbside pick up only for everything else, so check their website for contact info.

I read that they are also doing free shipping for local addresses, because of covid.

I bought 2 suppressors at the Silencer Shop brick and mortar store in Austin. Had them transferred to Primary Arms. Form 4 through the kiosk at Silencer Shop was super easy. SS handled all of the paperwork and Primary Arms called when the stamps came in. There was no form 3 transfer fee. If there was a 4473 fee, I don’t remember it- must have been inconsequential if there were.

If someone is charging $400 for a suppressor transfer, they are telling you that they don’t want your business. Then again, I firmly believe that most gun stores in the Houston area are kept in business by their competition. PA is a notable exception.

Agreed. I took it to be a deterrent for this process. This particular store is close to me and is where I send FFL transfers through. It’s a shame but I’ll be taking my business elsewhere from now on.