• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Pushing bolt forward with thumb?

702lineman

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
southern IL
So I've noticed lately at matches some competitors are pushing the bolt forward with thier thumb on back of the bolt then closing the handle. I thought at first maybe it was just a preference, but have seen multiple shooters do it now. Is there a reason for this or just how some people roll?

Just to be clear, I've seen this done on impact, big horn and defiance actions so I dont think it's a bolt binding thing

I've done it, but it reminds me of basketball players wiping the bottom of their shoes with sweaty assed hands

Nothing new. Done long before PRS was a thing

If in bolt overwatch or finishing up a tactile condition check just seems natural to use your thumb as its right there.

I have been graced with opposable thumbs, I figure I might as well use them?

Thats not the first, nor most important, reason why God gave us the opposable thumb.

Just learned a co-worker with a 20 plus year marriage failed to use his opposable thumb instead of the 29 year old and tossed his former life away.

The only gun I've had that required that was a Stiller TAC30 action... drove me nuckin' futz. I can flick the bolt open and closed with my fingers on most of my Salvages, but on that semi-custom action, I had to ride the bolt closed with my thumb on the tail piece or the damn thing would bind up tight :mad:

Maybe others have other reasons for doing it, but if I encounter another gun that 'requires' that, it's heading down the f'ing road, post haste.