• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Put Scope on My Match HBar or Trade It?

sotexhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
South Texas
I have a pre-ban Colt "Sporter 223 Match HBar" with the rear sight modified to 1/2 minute elevation by Al Turner and also the trigger reworked by Al. The barrel has about 800 rounds, mostly conservative handloads through it.

My 65 year old eyes can't handle focusing on the front sight and a target anymore. I need a scope. I want to stay with a 20 inch mid-weight barrel.

I don't know whether my rifle with the original box and papers is a collectors item or not.

My question is whether I am better off getting my barrel and other parts put on a flat top upper, putting a flat top upper/barrel assembly on my lower, or selling my rifle and buying a new flat top rifle.

Any comments?

Re: Scope Match HBar or trade it?

what year was the rifle made?

I don't know the production date. I'll call Colt to see if they will tell me. I bought it new in May, 1992. It is a Model R6601, blue label on the box, and the serial is MH0370xx. I used it for NRA service rifle high power over the years, when life didn't interfere. I also have a Garand, which I can still use for high power, since the front sight is several inches farther away than the AR-15.

I don't know if it is a collectible I should leave alone, or common rifle I should modify to flattop status for scoping.

I would just buy a new flattop upper from BCM and swap it out. I had an Hbar a few years ago and I sold it because I wanted a flattop and wish I didn't. The Colt is as good or better than something else you will buy anyway. You could also send it to Adco and they will supply the upper and do the work for pretty cheap. Just me thoughts on it.

I have a 6600 HBAR that years ago I put a Leatherwood rail on the handle, bought a Delta type cheek piece and mounted a Leupy Vari-X III EFR 6.5-20X40 on and have been using it ever since. The Delta cheek piece give you the proper cheek weld. Never have been sorry I scoped the HBAR this way and still use it to this day. Much less expensive than buying a new upper and still an all original Colt. Besides you have a proven rifle and who knows waht you end up with if you swap uppers. I would not trade it.
smirk.gif

Thanks for the input.

I am also interested in getting a free float handguard and don't care if it is CMP or NRA service rifle legal. If I go the flat top upper with a free floated handguard, do I also probably need a low profile gas block.

Any more comments?

I have that same rifle. I wanted to do the same thing.
When I started seeing that used Colt factory parts bring a premium I decided to leave it alone. So I cleaned it up and put it back in the safe.
I bought a new stripped lower and bought used parts off ar15 and built a frankenstein AR for about $500 that I can do whatever I want to with and not worry about it.
In my opinion and mine alone I think you will be happy if you leave the Colt as is.
You do not have to have a low pro gas block unless you want one.

In the ban states--NY, CT, etc (where the AWB never expired)--that pre-ban lower is definitely worth a lot more than it is in the rest of the country. Look on Gunbroker for "pre-ban AR" or something like that.

My gut feel is that the lower receiver alone (built, not stripped) might be worth 600-$700 bucks up there--it's the only way someone up there could legally build a M4gery with collapsible stock, flash-hider, etc--they need your original pre-ban receiver.

Otherwise, you see a ton of those Hbars around. Not sure that outside of the NE it would sell for any premium at all. If you want to get the most cash for it, stick it on gunbroker and sell it to someone up north.

Oops just noticed your gas block question. Answer is no.

If you keep your existing barrel (with the current front sight/gasblock), you can put any rifle length handguard on it. Depending on the model you get, you'll have to drive the pins out and remove/reinstall the FSB. But there are plenty of models that don't require you to do that--the Daniel Defense Omega (I think), some of the Troy models, etc. They just bolt right on. The only reason to get a new gas block is that you don't want the shadow of the front sight in your scope. Probably not worth worrying about.

You'll never see the front sight with a scope mounted, it will be out of the focal plane of the scope. Only visable if you decide to go with a non magnified optic.

I've got the same rifle and was going to do exactly what your thinking about. I just put a decent Leupy on top of my carry handle and the rifle shoots great. I'm using the 69 grain Sierras over varget, five shot groups under 3/4 moa are very common even had a few groups at just over 1/2 moa. If you don't mind the scope being a little higher than normal it's really kinda nice. You still have the ability to go back to the iron sights without removing the scope. Just my two cents worth. I'd keep it.

Keep it the way it is and assemble another flat-top. It's not a classic at 18yrs nor rare - but I'd still keep the parts together.