• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Putting Ammunition In Clamtainers For Airline Travel

ncyotecaller

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2009
McLeansville, NC
Has anyone used Clamtainers to secure your ammunition in your checked bag when flying to a PRS match? I bought a 25 pack last week and I’m hoping their light weight will help me “stay legal” and still be able to get enough rounds to the match.

Haven't used Clamtainers, but they seem like they would be okay. I'd probably tape them closed to make sure nothing comes loose.

FWIW I've never had anyone say anything about ammo weight. I travel with my daughter and enough ammo for 2 shooters for a 2 day match. Most of the ammo goes in one checked bag, plus a bit in our pelican rifle cases.

I put ammo in blue 50 round MTM boxes and put a piece of foam inside the lids so the rounds don't rattle. I tape each MTM box closed, then stack them all together in one long row (6-7 boxes) then tape that so they stay together. Then I wrap the whole thing in a jacket or sweatshirt and put it in the checked bag. Never had an issue with TSA. A couple times they've opened the bag to look at it, but never unwrapped the tape or anything.

Haven't used Clamtainers, but they seem like they would be okay. I'd probably tape them closed to make sure nothing comes loose.

FWIW I've never had anyone say anything about ammo weight. I travel with my daughter and enough ammo for 2 shooters for a 2 day match. Most of the ammo goes in one checked bag, plus a bit in our pelican rifle cases.

I put ammo in blue 50 round MTM boxes and put a piece of foam inside the lids so the rounds don't rattle. I tape each MTM box closed, then stack them all together in one long row (6-7 boxes) then tape that so they stay together. Then I wrap the whole thing in a jacket or sweatshirt and put it in the checked bag. Never had an issue with TSA. A couple times they've opened the bag to look at it, but never unwrapped the tape or anything.
Gotcha! I was going to put the Clamtainers in another container in my checked bag. I would put some in my rifle case but with everything in it it’s already at 49lbs 10oz

Reactions: Sheldon N