• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Putting on a new stock/problem with bedding

civprod

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2006
Virginia
I have a Remington SPS Tactical that I purchased a take off HS stock for to replace the original hogue stock. The take off stock has been bedded for a 700 Synthetic varmint in it. I went to drop in my action and the back screw by the trigger guard is too short to reach the back of the action, and the hole in the action may actually be a little off center from the pillar (but it is difficult to tell for).

What is the best way to try to address this? I want to say that I should just remove the bedding, but I didn't know if I could/should just buy a longer screw to use? If I get a longer screw, what is the best way to get it flush with the action? If I remove the bedding, is there anything that I need to be careful about, other than making sure that I don't dremel too far and start removing some of the material underneath the bedding.

Thanks. I know these may be stupid questions, but I am trying to learn.

Re: Putting on a new stock

I checked quickly this morning and it appears the problem may be that the action screw in the back and the pillar are not aligned correctly. They seem to be off by a very small margin but it seems enough to keep the screw from aligning correctly. Would it work to just remove a little bedding material so it aligns correctly or would that cause more problem. Sorry again for the basic questions.

I was afraid that this was going to be the answer. I have looked and it seems that the easiest way to remove bedding is to use a dremel. Is there anything that I need to watch for and be careful about because I'm always nervous about taking a dremel to any firearm I own.

just go slow, in fact, it being an HS stock and having the aluminum, I'd use a wire brush in your dremel, tape off anything you can see when the action is in the stock, don't worry too much about under the action, the new bedding will deal w/ that.

I have a quick question about bedding it. I know that there is an entire sticky devoted to how to bed your rifle, but my question is how much expertise do you need to have to successfully bed a rifle? This is the second precision rifle I have owned but the first bolt gun so I am worried about my ability to successfully bed a rifle.

if you're handy, it's easy... some people just have a feel for working on stuff and can watch or read instructions and it's done... others are harder to teach... so it really depends on you... and to be honest, the fact that you're asking these questions, makes me say to send it out... no offense.

No offense taken. I actually can be pretty handy, I think I can just be overly cautious when firearms are involved. Plus, although I can access the site, the pictures are blocked at the moment so I can't review them right now so I just have the description. My main fear was just that someone would need some specialized knowledge in doing this and I didn't want to start the project, realize that I can't do it, and create a bigger problem then I had before. I do appreciate your assistance and your time in answering my basic questions.

You should rebed the rifle. There is a great sticky here and just make sure you use a lot of clay and release agent. Take you time and go slow. If you don't like the final product then dremel it out and start over. As long as you don't lock your action in then you can always fix it. Most of the time stock screws will work but if you need to get new ones just get them longer and cut to desired length.

I removed all of the old bedding but I am still having a problem. The barreled action will not center right into the stock so the edges of the bottom metal cause the bolt catch to bind. As a result, I can't pull the trigger or put the bolt back into place.

It sounds to me like the bedding was done off center ( the action was not centered with the center line of the stock ). This will cause the trigger to set up against the trigger gaurd on one side or the other in extreme cases. Make sure you removed the old bedding compound around the sides and bottom of the recoil area. You need to do this anyway to re-bed. Just take care not to remove material on the action side of the recoil lug area.

^^^ as stated above, sounds like the recoil lug slot was bedded of center, so the lug on you action is following a crooked slot down causing crooked alignment.