• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Putting together a budget 308 build

beachhair234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
Austin, TX
Newbie here. I've been shooting AR15s for quite some time and my buddy has finally convinced me to get a bolt gun (taking me hunting with his .257 sealed the deal).

I'm looking at something that has the capability of reaching out to the 600+ range. Since I will be using this for hunting (that's the sales pitch to the wife) it needs to be as light as possible keeping budget in mind. I've narrowed down my selection to the Remington 700 SPS Tac or VTR 5R in 308. I'm really eyeing the Midway USA sale for the Weaver Grand Slam 3-9. Sure, I'd love to spend the money on a sweet optic, but right now it just isn't in the cards. I'd like to say in the $1,200 to $1,500 range.

I really like the vertical grip the McMillan stocks have, but I don't have that kind of cash. The Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks look like they have potential, but I'm not sure.

Any input or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ETA price range

Re: Putting together a budget 308 build

Knowing your budget would put things in perspective, but I'll give my opinion without that information and try to keep a decent budget. Remember, the SPS "tac" or varmint come with heavy barrels. If you hunt the mountains I do, you will think twice about carrying the extra weight. I would also go to the 30-06 instead of a 308. For paper I'm all about 308, 260 rem, 6.5, etc, but to kill something I want a 165 gr bullet around 2900fps. That's good enough to take nearly everything in North America. My suggested specs are as follows;

Remington SPS-24"-30-06-------------------------570.00
Leupold or Nikon 4x12---------------------------300.00
Bell & Carlson Alaskan Wilderness Stock---------220.00
Leupold base and rings--------------------------100.00

$1190.00

If you have the extra cash I would have a trigger job done. Most smith's will do it for around $80. This is nearly the exact setup I have on one of my hunting rifles and I can honestly say it's all you will ever need for hunting.

The Rem sps or savage 10fcp-k "no need to change or bed the stock for a budget rig on this one, shoots very well" also gives a nice bull fluted threaded barrel with a brake already.

:Super sniper 10x scope"hands down the best budget riflescope I have seen"very tough, would'nt have a second thought on taking this scope into combat, thats saying alot from a budget scope".
:Tps Rings
:Egw base

<span style="font-weight: bold">knight</span>, a 10x scope is way too much magnification for hunting unless you plan on taking hunting shots at 500+ yards and at that point I wouldn't call it hunting, but that's a different discussion. The 4x12 is perfect in the sense that you have the 12x to help zero your rifle and you can revert back to 4 or 6 to take shots. Most general shots are inside 200yds. If you need to make a quick pull up shot or follow up shots the 10x is going to make it even more challenging.

It's not that bad with a x10, I use both eyes open for fast target acquisition, with some practice, close targets are no problem.

if it needs to be as light as possible go with a Remington 700 P LTR in .308 it doesnt get any better for a very light but highly accurate rifle.

7 1/2lbs. without optics

SPS Tactical AAC - 560.00
B&C light tactical - 220
Weaver Grand Slam Tactical - 300
EGW Base and Practical rings - 100

About 1180 and VERY well suited for long range work and the 20" barrel makes for fairly easy carrying.

OR
Savage PC10
Weaver tactical
EGW base and rings
Around 1050 total

If for hunting purposes, perhaps you can also look into Howa barreled actions. That way you are not paying for a stock you will not be using later. You can adjust the trigger on the Howa yourself and get very good and consistent trigger pull. Not to mention after all said and done, you will still have about $100 - $150 left compared to the other suggestions above.

<span style="font-weight: bold">force/knight,</span>I guess a 10x could be managable. For me personally though I just like a little less. I personally just don't prefer a 10x especially if I spook a buck inside 100yds and have to follow him on the move for a quick shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscgbeachbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at something that has the capability of reaching out to the 600+ range. Since I will be using this for hunting (that's the sales pitch to the wife) it needs to be as light as possible keeping budget in mind. I've narrowed down my selection to the Remington 700 SPS Tac or VTR 5R in 308. I'm really eyeing the Midway USA sale for the Weaver Grand Slam 3-9. Sure, I'd love to spend the money on a sweet optic, but right now it just isn't in the cards.</div></div>

The SPS Tac or the Savage 10PC (both 20" barreled .308) would be ideal for what you are looking to do, I am partial to the Savage because since my MK days I like to do my own wrenching on everything but either will serve you well. Both the SPS Tac and the 10 PC have heavy barrels but being shorter they handle very easily in the woods and are very well balanced.

Thanks a bunch! I've definitely got some reading to do now. As far as budget is concerned, I'd like to stay in the $1,200 to $1,500 range when its all said and done.

i have a Bell & Carlson Medalist on my 308. I like the stock for the price we left it unbedded and it shot the same as one we bedded so i just left it unbedded. The 338s a great all around caliber though we do a ton of them in 338 ultra mag and lapua.

My "budget" Rifle
.308 rem 700 trued
Rifle Basix Trigger set at 2.5 lbs
holland recoil lug
gretan firing pin assembly
aluminum picanary rail
Bell & Carlson Medalist
leupold 3.5-10 vx 3
weaver rings
hart std remington taper 1-12 or a 1-10 i cant rember which is on it right now
130gr barnes tsx at 3200 fps
smile.gif

the total guns around 8.5 lbs

i dont know the cost of mine because i got all my major parts for really cheap
url]

url]

url]

I agree with hibc on this one the ltr is hard to beat find agood used one on here and put a used leupold on it and you will be happy. If that dont do it for you a Tikka t3 is damn fine too.