• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Putting together my first 700, need stock/dbm help

aperdue

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
Humble, TX
Jesus my head hurts :p . I have read so many threads on here lately and just can't figure which way to go. My base rifle is a 700aac-sd. It is topped off with a Vortex PST FFP in badger rings and base. This is where I am stuck. I want something that will be a good stock for precision, but I still want to be able to use this rifle to go hunting. Right now I have a B&C M40 on backorder and am starting to second guess myself. I think I want to go with a DBM. I have also been looking at the McRee chassis system, and think it is pretty slick, but don't know how it would fair on a hunting rifle. I am fairly open on the stocks, so any ideas would be appreciated. Now onto the bottom metal. If I get a fiberglass stock, I am really leaning toward the PTG due to its price and all of the positive reviews that I have seen so far. Any reason that I should go with something else? I have a fairly liberal budget, but don't want to go into the thousands. My thoughts right now are either to stay with the B&C and have it inletted, go with the McRees, or get a McMillan A5 adjustable already inletted.....

Re: Putting together my first 700, need stock/dbm help

and someone else is going to make up your mind for you?

you did your research now make your choice - quit being a woman over it

McRees. No bedding, pull it out and stick it in a light weight hunter for deer and other game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and someone else is going to make up your mind for you?

you did your research now make your choice - quit being a woman over it

</div></div>

Well, thank you so much for being so helpful. I guess it was just dumb of me to come to a place where people actually have experience with this stuff and ask for a little help. In other words, GTFO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmpohuski7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McRees. No bedding, pull it out and stick it in a light weight hunter for deer and other game. </div></div>

You know, I didn't really think about it before, but I could just keep the B&C coming and use it for hunting and the McCrees for the precision stuff... hmmm...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXlojackXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mcmillan or Manners. Boom.</div></div> Yea, good choice either way you go there.

I have my AAC-SD on a McMillan HTG stock bedded.

Manners and McMillan are awesome.

Zach

You wont be going wrong with the B&C I have 4 of them on different rifles, love them all, however just like many things with firearms to a certain point you do get what you pay for. And my favorite rifle does have a McMillan. If you've got the budget go big.

If it were my build, I'd go McMillan M40A1 / HTG, marbled in your favorite colors, inletted for M5 DBM, PT&G stealth and call it a day! The B&C is nice for a budget build, but in no way a comparison to McMillan or Manners. I'm not a fan of chassis for personal reasons.

My vote is Manners MCS-T or T3 with mini chassis. No bedding needed and makes a good hunting stock .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were my build, I'd go McMillan M40A1 / HTG, marbled in your favorite colors, inletted for M5 DBM, PT&G stealth and call it a day! The B&C is nice for a budget build, but in no way a comparison to McMillan or Manners. I'm not a fan of chassis for personal reasons. </div></div>

You know, I had been looking at the HTG, but had kinda dismissed it because I didn't see an option for inlet before, but I just looked again and found it. I think this is the way I am going to go. Thanks for your help. Now, just to decide which color
grin.gif

You'll be glad to go that route. Southernprecisionrifles.com (aka "bugholes") has several McMillan HTGs in stock that are already inletted for Badger M5 and have a Rem Varmint/Sendero contour.

Although I didn't look, one that's inletted for Surgeon Bottom metal would be nice too. Surgeon bottom metal, in my opinion, can't be beat in terms of aesthetics and function.

McMillan & Surgeon are very hard to beat + good resale value

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You'll be glad to go that route. Southernprecisionrifles.com (aka "bugholes") has several McMillan HTGs in stock that are already inletted for Badger M5 and have a Rem Varmint/Sendero contour.

Although I didn't look, one that's inletted for Surgeon Bottom metal would be nice too. Surgeon bottom metal, in my opinion, can't be beat in terms of aesthetics and function. </div></div>

Ended up going this route. Got off the phone with him a few minutes ago and got the last htg w/ surgeon cut and got the bottom metal from him as well. Hopefully I will get to shoot it before I go back offshore. Thanks for everyones help.