• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA Osprey Barrel Works Carbon Barrel

30Hart

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2013
Layton, Utah
Took the plunge and ordered one of PVAs new osprey carbon barrels in 6.5mm for a lightweight 6.5 PRC. Josh was very helpful and I wound up ordering a 23 inch barrel in the competition contour as that's the only one they are currently doing...it tapers to .99 at 26 inches and should be right at 3lbs or a little under at 23 inches finished. Want the option of running a suppressor and my 300 Omega only adds 5.5 inches to the length. Good thing is the barrel can be cut down farther which was a main selling point for me and my gunsmith...the blanks come in 26 but can be cut down to 18 inches. The action is a Kelbly Nanook and the stock a McMillan carbon. BDL floorplate and Trigger Tech Diamond trigger...more to come...hopefully the barrel comes next week as they have them in stock and say a 4 day turnaround on blanks.

Last edited:
You can order them in full blank mode or for a very small fee PVA will cut them to length, thread them and install the carbon barrel cap...I went w/ the latter.

My osprey 22 cal blank was chambered in 22cr, shoots excellent at 18". I'm not a fan of chopping barrels that far short of original blank length due to runout concerns, but this one turned out great. Interested in trying a prefit from Josh.

Reactions: 30Hart
Received the blank in a timely manner. Looks good and the 23 inch blank weighs 3lbs 3oz in 6.5mm already threaded on the muzzle. should be close to 3lbs or 3lbs 1oz after skimming the back end, chambering and threading. I have everything for the build so just waiting on the smith now.

Barrel on the action, be done soon

Attachments

• 20230620_145524.jpg
    20230620_145524.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 177
I just ordered a carbon fiber barrel from them as well.

Given that I’ve had them doing all my barrel work for the last few years, and that I’m running out of blanks for my inventory downstairs…

I ran into an interesting problem: it appears that the bartlein carbon fiber barrel I have, which is a tack driver I might add, suffers from some flex when I put a suppressor at the end of it. With a thunder beast ultra nine on there It doesn’t move a whole hell of a lot. However, if I put one of my steel cans on there, impact drops, literally 3 inches. So now it’s time to do some testing…. (this does not happen with the steel Bartlein MTU that I have on my Sako TRG22 using any of my suppressors and swapping them out)

i’m also interested in trying a 1:7 Twist to see if it stabilizes the 153.5 bullets.

I ran into an interesting problem: it appears that the bartlein carbon fiber barrel I have, which is a tack driver I might add, suffers from some flex when I put a suppressor at the end of it. With a thunder beast ultra nine on there It doesn’t move a whole hell of a lot. However, if I put one of my steel cans on there, impact drops, literally 3 inches.
If it’s repeatable POI shift and doesn’t effect precision, what’s it matter?

Actually, my MTU steel barrel on the TRG doesn’t see a different shift between the TBAC U9, R30K, and Biscuit. All exactly the same…

Reactions: Stoweit
So, as a follow up to this....

Part of the POI shift issue I was seeing was related to the lack of stiffness of the chassis I was using.

In this case, it was an MDT ACC Elite. Basically, there is a dramatic difference in stiffness between the chassis with the control bridges installed and without.

I also compared the ACC Premier chassis and initially it didn't seem as bad, but when I re-evaluated it, it's BAD... really bad. Assuming there is a top plate for it, it would probably get dramatically better.

Since I did not catch this previously, I had assumed that the POI shift would be partially the suppressors... be it was the chassis.

So, as a follow up to this....

Part of the POI shift issue I was seeing was related to the lack of stiffness of the chassis I was using.

In this case, it was an MDT ACC Elite. Basically, there is a dramatic difference in stiffness between the chassis with the control bridges installed and without.

I also compared the ACC Premier chassis and initially it didn't seem as bad, but when I re-evaluated it, it's BAD... really bad. Assuming there is a top plate for it, it would probably get dramatically better.

Since I did not catch this previously, I had assumed that the POI shift would be partially the suppressors... be it was the chassis.

I don't follow this at all.

How did you come to the conclusion it was the chassis and its lack of stiffness that is causing the POI shift with suppressor?

It seems like you are inferring that the forend of said chassis, and its relative lack of stiffness, is what's resulting in the POI issues. The forend should have relatively little to do with any POI shifts - unless your barrel is flexing enough to make contact with the forend (but that's not really a stiffness issue).

The forend should be free floated and isolated from the barrel, its stiffness (or lack thereof) should not be a determining factor for POI shifts.

I don't follow this at all.

How did you come to the conclusion it was the chassis and its lack of stiffness that is causing the POI shift with suppressor?

It seems like you are inferring that the forend of said chassis, and its relative lack of stiffness, is what's resulting in the POI issues. The forend should have relatively little to do with any POI shifts - unless your barrel is flexing enough to make contact with the forend (but that's not really a stiffness issue).

The forend should be free floated and isolated from the barrel, its stiffness (or lack thereof) should not be a determining factor for POI shifts.
Agreed, the acc elite without the control bridges is plenty stiff. I don't have poi shifts in a hnt26 or element 4.0 and those chassis flex WAY more than an elite.

Reactions: kthomas
Agreed, the acc elite without the control bridges is plenty stiff. I don't have poi shifts in a hnt26 or element 4.0 and those chassis flex WAY more than an elite.

I saw this thread afterwards, and there's more context provided around the flex issues.

IMO, I think it's a shooter issue. The shooters must be loading way too much into the chassis', putting torque into the system. I haven't shot an ACC Elite chassis', but I've been around a few and they don't seem like noodles. I have to think that if you are introducing that much flex into the chassis, that you are doing something wrong...

Not a knock on the shooter(s). I'm constantly learning stuff myself, and have had to change up my technique over the years for different situations and gear/cartridges. I learn something new every day I shoot.