• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA "The Plug"

Keystone183

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
SATX
Looking at buying a couple of these, but I'm unsure, which cartridge family does Grendel fall in? Or is one not available that would work for it?

I have one of these things for Creedmoor that was given to me with a rifle I bought (I totally understand why he gave it away) and tried to use it twice just to see how it worked and circled right back to what I already know that cleaning from the muzzle fucking sucks. The patches want to get hung up in the throat area and not come back so you pull the plug to deal with that anyway, brushes don't want to reverse while still engaged in the rifling, you still have some solvent in the throat to deal with, and the extractor doesn't like popping around the plug rim. Buy a bore guide and clean from the action like a civilized human being.

I’d assume that this is to fill the bore completely with solvent, let soak, dump it, and then patch it.

Gay.

I can see it's use for that and it's a little less dumb. I figured I could make use of a bore tech 6.5 rod I ordered short for an 18" barrel and now don't have a 6.5 less than 24" and the whole time I was trying to use this thing with a muzzle guide thinking "this is fucking dumb.

Not a fan of leaving chemicals in my barrels that eat metal though. I can clean a barrel with 10 minutes of soaking with a good solvent and then neutralize with alcohol when I'm done and put my shit away.

I’d cork the muzzle, and use a funnel with tube to fill from the chamber end. Just be careful and ensure the solvent you use isn’t overly strong so it doesn’t etch the barrel.

Obviously rifle is hung barrel down. If there are any leaks it won’t run into the action or your fancy walnut stock (when those were a thing).

Dump, then then patch clean. Not a new thing at all and this may or may not be a better mouse trap.

This was a method to remove severe leading from a barrel using mercury too.

Reactions: FredHammer
I dont understand why people make cleaning so hard. This product is for people who are not smart enough to clean a barrel without damaging it, or not smart enough to realize how stupid this product actually is.

Buy a good steel rod
Buy good nylon brushes
Buy appropriate sized patches
Buy a bore guide
Use a good cleaner like Boretech or Patch out or any of the Carbon/Copper solvents out there.

Follow instructions on the bottle.

Maybe soak a bore mop with solvent and let soak in throat area if you have hard carbon/ring issues.

That's it. All this other shit is unnecessary and more likely to damage something than doing it like the products are designed to be used.

People who "soak" shouldn't be listen to, in more ways than one.

I originally learned of this product here on the hide, so i thought i'd come here for knowledge i didn't have myself! Unfortunately i only got responses from totally the unknowledgable. I did however get one good piece of advice so i called them. The answer is no, no grendel compatibility at the moment, but there could possibly be a run in the not totally distant future?

Further, cleaning is not hard. It CAN be time consuming however. My time is valuable, yours may not be.

Continue with the purse swinging gentlemen!

I originally learned of this product here on the hide, so i thought i'd come here for knowledge i didn't have myself! Unfortunately i only got responses from totally the unknowledgable. I did however get one good piece of advice so i called them. The answer is no, no grendel compatibility at the moment, but there could possibly be a run in the not totally distant future?

Further, cleaning is not hard. It CAN be time consuming however. My time is valuable, yours may not be.

Continue with the purse swinging gentlemen!

He makes a cap for the muzzle too. Or you can use a foam ear plug to plug the muzzle.

If your goal is to fill barrel and soak.

He makes a cap for the muzzle too. Or you can use a foam ear plug to plug the muzzle.

If your goal is to fill barrel and soak.
I have seen that as well, however, this is an easier option than removing muzzle devices. and i have never had any luck plugging the bore with any type of cork and not have it leak. SO i'm willing to give this a shot, as stupid as i may be for not simply doing it the way its been done for millennia. Innovation being stupid, and all that.

I have seen that as well, however, this is an easier option than removing muzzle devices. and i have never had any luck plugging the bore with any type of cork and not have it leak. SO i'm willing to give this a shot, as stupid as i may be for not simply doing it the way its been done for millennia. Innovation being stupid, and all that.

A foam ear plug twisted and put into the muzzle typically doesn't leak. Occasionally it does. I just leave a bucket under it just in case. But, I also remove barrels to clean them. So, I don't mind removing muzzle devices and such.

I have one of these things for Creedmoor that was given to me with a rifle I bought (I totally understand why he gave it away) and tried to use it twice just to see how it worked and circled right back to what I already know that cleaning from the muzzle fucking sucks. The patches want to get hung up in the throat area and not come back so you pull the plug to deal with that anyway, brushes don't want to reverse while still engaged in the rifling, you still have some solvent in the throat to deal with, and the extractor doesn't like popping around the plug rim. Buy a bore guide and clean from the action like a civilized human being.
What!!?? Its to plug the barrel in order to add solvent and soak it....not to use when scrubbing it with a brush or use patches.

I have one and the muzzle end device he also makes. Works fine for the few times I have used it on a very dirty barrel. And I used BoreTech and it has never harmed a barrel though left in for over 24 hours on occasion.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
The Jimmy from PVA is better for the barrel. Super easy

I ordered one for a Dasher in April and emailed to check on my order status in August. I haven't heard back yet. You could check with them but your barrel will be shot out before you get a reply.

I ordered one for a Dasher in April and emailed to check on my order status in August. I haven't heard back yet. You could check with them but your barrel will be shot out before you get a reply.
My two I ordered in early Jan. just shipped today, albeit they aren't dasher ones. I had much better luck calling to get questions answered when I ordered some barrels than email.

I used "the plug" and "muzzle jimmy" and they performed as designed. I found Hoppes Black copper solvent can be left in bores overnight to no ill effect. Completely removed the copper from some heavily coppered barrels. What wasn't gone from the soak was gone on the first pass of an alcohol soaked bore brush.

What in the "Outers Foul Out" is going on in here ?!?!?!

There's a really good reason that we all clean from the breech end with a bore guide.
It works the best

What in the "Outers Foul Out" is going on in here ?!?!?!

There's a really good reason that we all clean from the breech end with a bore guide.
It works the best
And you still do with the plug. It's just meant as a way to hold solvent in the bore so it can soak. Then you pull the plug and scrub like normal.

And you still do with the plug. It's just meant as a way to hold solvent in the bore so it can soak. Then you pull the plug and scrub like normal.
I never have to scrub after the soak period. And yes you still have to use a bore guide when you drain the solvent

OK, one car funerals, bread sandwiches, and Billy upskirting drunk aunt Ruby again is in full violation here...

• Haha
I never have to scrub after the soak period. And yes you still have to use a bore guide when you drain the solvent
Not if your vice can rotate the jaws! lol.

Just turn it muzzle down pointed at a bucket and pull the Plug.

I must admit that the first time I filed the bore on a 26” 6.5 barrel I was surprised at how little it takes to fill it full.

I dont understand why people make cleaning so hard. This product is for people who are not smart enough to clean a barrel without damaging it, or not smart enough to realize how stupid this product actually is.

Buy a good steel rod
Buy good nylon brushes
Buy appropriate sized patches
Buy a bore guide
Use a good cleaner like Boretech or Patch out or any of the Carbon/Copper solvents out there.

Follow instructions on the bottle.

Maybe soak a bore mop with solvent and let soak in throat area if you have hard carbon/ring issues.

That's it. All this other shit is unnecessary and more likely to damage something than doing it like the products are designed to be used.

People who "soak" shouldn't be listen to, in more ways than one.

I'll push a couple wet patches, let it sit a few days, and push a few more wet patches.

No brushes, no work.

Boretech won't etch a barrel. They have left them soaking for years without problems just to test it.

I'll keep letting mine soak because I have better things to do than brush a barrel.