• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS 22 V. Raptor?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Would a PVS 22/PVS 27 offer the same or better performance than a 4x or 6x Raptor?

The 22/27 would be mounted in front of a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 or 3.5-15x50.

Why are the PVS22/27s and Raptors suddenly available for commercial sale?

Thanks!
    -dan

Re: PVS 22 V. Raptor?

they have been for sale for a while.

most likely due to the fact they have excess stock or production

I like the versatility of a PVS-22 design. If I was looking that would be the way that I would go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a PVS 22 offer the same or better performance than a 4x or 6x Raptor?
    The 22 would be mounted in front of a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 or 3.5-15x50.
    Why are the PVS22s and Raptors suddenly available for commercial sale?
    Thanks!
    -dan </div></div>

I think they are for sale to us mere mortals due to simple economics, money! They must be caught up on orders!

At 6X (or 4X) the Raptor will be superior to the PVS-22 even if the UNS is mounted in front of a 58mm USO or similar S&B, due to superior light gathering of it's huge objective lens. But it's stuck there, at what ever mag it's at.
    The versatility of the UNS puts it's useability way over the Raptor, particularly if you augment it with an IR illuminator, which can do wonders at long range.
    Now I haven't compared a Raptor and a PVS-27 directly, perhaps Vic will chime in here, but that would be an interesting comparison.

I have been very impressed by the PVS-22's performance at up to 10X. It's rated to 12X, but, although groups fired may improve, the image quality does decrease at bit, even with the brightest scopes. If use at over 10-12X is desired, I'd look to the PVS-27 which is rated to 20X.
    Accuracy with the UNS is outstanding. I have mounted it on multiple platforms in front of USO SN-3 scopes (1.8-10X37 & 3.2-17X44), ACOGS (TA31, TA31F, TA55A, TA11C), Leupold (MR/T 3-9X36, LR/T 3.5-10X40), and Nightforce (3.5-15X50). Results have been outstanding with them all with no loss of zero.
    Admittedly, with QD throw lever mounts, the Raptor will return to zero perfectly, as my D-760 does with the LaRue Base. But the ability to add the UNS in front of the day optic with zero maintained is superb. And to be able to use a variable scope up to 12X (or more) gives versatility you won't get with a fixed mag NV scope.
    For the record, I do not have a Raptor, but I do have a D-760 with a superb tube, as well as a NQPVS-14. All have been purchased from TNVC and Vic and Chip with absolute satisfaction.
    Now that I've had my MilSpec PVS-22 for a bit, would I buy it again? ABSOLUTELY!!
    Dan, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

_2237132.jpg

Recce2.jpg

Mod0.jpg

BLK3.jpg