• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS-30 on Desert Tech Covert

HonkeyMcGee88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2011
TX, USA
Pretty straight forward. Is a desert tech covert long enough to realistically mount a PVS-30?

Looking at a lot of pics it seems like most scopes wind up over the front rail.

I'm going to say not really...
I used an objective mount clip on with the DT which put a clip on hanging over my suppressor, and also trying a simrad with the DT right now

But if you could find a short enough scope, with a short enough eye relief... Who knows

I put a Vudu 5-25x on mine specifically for running a pvs30. The rail clamp on the 30 will hang off the front of the handguard about 1/2” or so but it works fine. It still holds fine if I move it forward another 3/4” or so. That puts the rear recoil lug of the 30 in the forwardmost pic rail slot, so only a little less than half the mount is actually on the rail. But it seems to be secure. So stick to scopes that are really close to 12” or shorter and it should work. Also consider I’m using one length of pull spacer so I can move the optic rearward that 1/2”. Assuming comparable eye relief, you could add scope length and use spacers to get the scope mounted further rearward and therefore get more space in front of the scope to mount the 30.

Bottom line I guess is you could PROBABLY get away with a 12.5” scope if you used 2 length of pull spacers and mounted the 30 as far forward as possible, but eye relied of the particular scope would be the determining factor.

You could also use a “gooseneck” type rail riser to extend the pic rail forward, but that’s gonna make the 30 sit 1/2” higher.

A2AAB60A-4C2A-4AA0-9EB7-4323BDF24B41.jpeg
225F1992-C2F8-4851-AB6A-97C80E20159E.jpeg
3FE32343-4217-47C3-BDDA-1CC61D9DEF0C.jpeg

Do you have the newer generation handguard that is M-lok? If so, would it be possible to take a longer M-lok rail and attach it toward the end so some of it is hanging off the end of the handguard? I experimented w/ my 30 when I had it and found that it actually will hang on to a rail with a good portion of its mounting surface not in contact. This would be the perfect application for a SIMRAD. I am considering picking up an SRS A2 currently.

The super-short optics I have used had extremely finicky parallax, but never used those w/ a clip-on. I wonder how super-short scopes like the Vudu perform w/ clip-ons

I'm going to try and get ken Farrell or someone like that to make a custom goose neck extender mount to solve this exact problem.

It's been on the to do list for like a year lol