• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pvs14/day scope to 675yds

Killswitch Engage

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
ohio
My shooting partner and myself took a 223 bolt gun I put together out to 675yds tonight with my Pvs-14 coupled up to my vortex viper hs-t. We started at 430yds with easy hits and then to 515yds again with easy hits. We both took shots off hand from the kneeling connecting easily with the target as well. We then moved 675yd with hits and called it good for the night. That's about as far as expected with a 223. Here's a pic of the rifle set up used. Target was a full size ipsc torso. Load is 69smk at 2700fps. Conditions were full moon, low on horizon but heavy overcast. No IR.
8ABC7B57-ABF7-4BB6-8D8B-D1F745806BD7-46995-0000059FC76BC4F9_zpsab650f3a.jpg

i took iPhone video of the shots at 515yds. I will load them on YouTube later.

Good job sir! I like to see that I'm not the only one doing this. What power were you able to get to with the full moon and no IR? I haven't really tried mine with a full moon, I'd like to see just how far I could get out to like that also.

Jay

Well I had used this set up on other scopes and various rifles but this viper seems to be an excellent host for a 14. I have a grainy but usable image at 16x with no ir. the moon wasnt a giant help due to the cloud cover but there was some usable illum from it. At 4-10x this thing rocks. Image is great. No halo in the scope. I used an extended length f class 20moa base from egw to get the scope forward for eye relief. The scope
is on a gg&g throw lever mount. a 4" forward shift on the rail is 1mil change in dope. It's repeatable so I think acceptable. The coupler is my own hillbilly contraption but works excellent.

Last edited:
Is that $2500 monocular attached to that $4000 rifle with .89c hose clamps?:D
Pretty cool seeing what can be done with the lowly PVS14 if you're not a NV snob;)

couple more scopes that work great with the same mono are the weaver classic extreme 2-5x10-56+the weaver tac 3-15x50 if you use the new dipol laser illuminator this is a very small unit with infinatly adjustable power so you can have very little IR for close up or full power for extreme ranges. And on the lower settings its totally covert

Impossible I say! Oh wait it's already been proven possible, my bad. Nice job!

we'll that made sense LOL...hi to all

I was making fun of a thread where another member did the same thing and people said it wasn't possible, so he posted a video as proof.

I still say it's impossible, the photoshop is too obvious. Good try though.

Seriously, that is pretty interesting. I always heard it wouldn't work well like that, particularly at range. Your zero didn't change any?

Is that mount no-shit hose clamps?

Lol...I've been doing it for a few years. No zero shift at all that I've ever found worth noting. You always have the "eye relief" issues unless you do what I do and run your day optic forward on a longer rail or monolithic platform AR.

Yep no shit...hose clamps. Had a early gen mount a company made and it really wasn't worth a shit. This works much better.

Impossible! Lol

Yeah no kidding! The unmitigated GAUL of "some people" to be claiming things they didn't do!!! LOL indeed. Ohhh, and in the video I heard the bullet impact just fine!

P.S. This is to anyone mounting a 14 in this manner, WHAT EVER YOU DO... make sure the 14 has ZERO chance of slipping under recoil.

1. You don't want it to come off and hit you in the eye. Safety First.

2. You don't want the PVS-14 to slip under recoil and come to a sudden stop. A loosely mounted 14, will under recoil, damage itself. HORRIBLY!

Last edited:
Any chance you could list the parts/instructions on your hillbilly setup? I would love to tag it for the happy day I get a 14. Thanks.

Yeah no kidding! The unmitigated GAUL of "some people" to be claiming things they didn't do!!! LOL indeed. Ohhh, and in the video I heard the bullet impact just fine!

P.S. This is to anyone mounting a 14 in this manner, WHAT EVER YOU DO... make sure the 14 has ZERO chance of slipping under recoil.

1. You don't want it to come off and hit you in the eye. Safety First.

2. You don't want the PVS-14 to slip under recoil and come to a sudden stop. A loosely mounted 14, will under recoil, damage itself. HORRIBLY!

good advice and i will add with this coupler even though it seems redneck i did do my due diligance of r and d before i used it. the rubber coupler just happens to but up perfectly to the batt housing on the 14 and the clamp is only gripping the objective lens with interference force. the coupler has a step in it to bring it to size for the occular housing on the scope. this step again is a dead stop for the coupler so really theres no was possible for it to move under recoil and abruptly bottom out on the housing or objective lens. they are in fact about .5" away form each other. im not recommending or advising anyone to use my set up. its just waht works for me and works well. its much quicker to use then a factory type coupler system. ymmv...