• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS14 which optic is preferred?

In2b8u

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
WV Elkins
I am going to pony up and purchase Gen 3 Night Vision. I plan on using this on an ar platform and helmet mounted. I was wondering which NV compatible device you prefer and why. Eotech, Aimpoint?
Use will be night varmit hunting, distance in all reality out to 100. Give or take a few. I would appreciate your input on optic choices from those that have experience with them. Thanks in advance. db

Re: PVS14 which optic is preferred?

Nightowl makes a good monocular, they all pretty much have the same ir threshold, just make sure its compatible with certain.mounts to mount in front of.the.scope and on a harness or helmet, you'll see that the mounts is going to be your biggest issue.

The EOtech gives the better view with night vision IMHO. I think the Aimpoint is more reliable. Just my opinion and I don't want to start a war over this.

Both are good optics, I just like the Aimpoint better and never had a problem with one.

I now use a Spector DR so it is a moot point for me anyhow.

The EO tech for some reason makes the night vision appear clearer- maybe there is some polarizing effect or the window aligns light headed into the tube or something.

I have extensive experience with both optics with and without night vision. The Aim Point is by far a more dependable and rugged optic. It does well with NV devices. The Eotech isn't as durable and rugged but it is easier to pick up with an NV device. With that being said I will say that the Eotech is still a rugged optic and it all depends on the application your going to be using it for. If your concern is mainly about NV compatability the Eotech wins hands down. The price point on the Eotech is a bit better also. But if your looking for a more fire and forget optic that you won't have to worry about failing, I would say go with the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint still works well it just doesn't stick out as much. But I also feel that with the appropriate amount of training that it won't make much of a difference in the long haul. If I was going to pick between the two I would pick the Aimpoint because of durability. Just my 2 cents.

I'm running an eotech 556, and love it! Might wanna check out a civilian legal DBAL from victor at TNVC. Absolutely a force multiplier. Excellent addition to the pvs-14

If you can get a late model EOTECH that WILL hold zero,You test untill you Find one, They have Better Field Of view and brighter Image than the aimpoints allow with NVD,If stray light hits the rear eotech screen it will wash out the image and its useless.

the T-1 with tall mount and The DLOCK ajustable tall mount work very well,It allows the NVD to just over lap the T-1 rear lens and does not allow any stray Light on the Aimpoint rear Lens it will not wash out the Image,Even when going into a Lights on House!.

I prefer a Red Laser with a Filter over any optic..Also a red laser with Filter is way better than the civi lasers,If its bright out.
If you need passive then the red laser wont work for you.If you can get one of the NO NO HUSH HUSH lasers youl love it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The EOtech gives the better view with night vision IMHO. I think the Aimpoint is more reliable. Just my opinion and I don't want to start a war over this.

Both are good optics, I just like the Aimpoint better and never had a problem with one.

I now use a Spector DR so it is a moot point for me anyhow. </div></div>

+1. I prefere the eotech with night vision. Better field of view and brighter objects through the eotech. I prefer aimpoints when not using NV

i like optics that work. that pretty much excludes eotech, day or night.

eotechs and dead batteries go together like muppets and fisting.

reliability concerns aside, the two-front-button eotech is the ergonomic equivalent of the hindenberg. and now you want to mount a monocular right in front of the buttons? good luck with that.

Later Model Eotechs have overcome many of the early faults,they are avaiable with side Bottons and side mounted 123 battery,The latest Model I have is the EXPS3-2 that has the features for-mentioned and a 2 dot Reticule with 9.7MOA between the Dots,This allows the zero Of Sonic 300 black Out useing the center dot and Subsonic 220 Black out on the 2nd Dot at 50 yards,So Far this new model EOTECH has held zero for months of use.Still the T-1's I have are still on and running as we speek and the eotech is off,wish EOTECH could run like the T-1's do on such a small battery for so long . <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like optics that work. that pretty much excludes eotech, day or night.

eotechs and dead batteries go together like muppets and fisting.

reliability concerns aside, the two-front-button eotech is the ergonomic equivalent of the hindenberg. and now you want to mount a monocular right in front of the buttons? good luck with that. </div></div>

Is the FOV better with the Eotech?

I've found it to be extremely limited with my aimpoint setup. (And yes I've tried multiple mounts)

If FOV is better with the Eotech I'd say that alone would be the deciding factor.

Parker

Yes much so,Higher you can mount the NV and still pick up the Hologram the better it gets.
Lasers are where its at though...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the FOV better with the Eotech?

I've found it to be extremely limited with my aimpoint setup. (And yes I've tried multiple mounts)

If FOV is better with the Eotech I'd say that alone would be the deciding factor.

Parker </div></div>

Thank all of you gentlemen for all of your expertise. Much more information than I was expecting. I am going to have to play with the 2, and speak with Victor or Chip and put together my weapons.
Ill post my final decision when it gets put together. Once again, all of your input was greatly appreciated. db

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have extensive experience with both optics with and without night vision. The Aim Point is by far a more dependable and rugged optic. It does well with NV devices. The Eotech isn't as durable and rugged but it is easier to pick up with an NV device. With that being said I will say that the Eotech is still a rugged optic and it all depends on the application your going to be using it for. If your concern is mainly about NV compatability the Eotech wins hands down. The price point on the Eotech is a bit better also. But if your looking for a more fire and forget optic that you won't have to worry about failing, I would say go with the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint still works well it just doesn't stick out as much. But I also feel that with the appropriate amount of training that it won't make much of a difference in the long haul. If I was going to pick between the two I would pick the Aimpoint because of durability. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

I would agree here about the Aimpoints durability, we use them on all our training guns and never had one go down. (Well one time, my T1 went in-op until the Aimpoint Mil Director shooting right next to me, pulled out a handy quarter to tighten down my battery cap that came loose..Gulp and learning occurred many years ago.) ;-)

With that said I DO like the EO Tech FOV at NIGHT with a NOD behind if that need arises.

With all that said, get a Class 1 IR laser on your gun and your NOD on your melon and let your IR laser do all your talking out to 150m or so, :)

Vic

I have used nods to shoot a considerable amount overseas at night. I like the eo-tech for "precision use" on a m4 if thats all you have.

But if you have a modern class 1 laser with the aluminum bodies they are extremely rigid and are quite awesome to use with the nods.

I would prefer that in most situations. It does add significant cost to the system however, but it allows the flexibilty to have a head mounted NVD so you can shoot and move while using the NVD.

Best setup overall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used nods to shoot a considerable amount overseas at night. I like the eo-tech for "precision use" on a m4 if thats all you have.

But if you have a modern class 1 laser with the aluminum bodies they are extremely rigid and are quite awesome to use with the nods.

I would prefer that in most situations. It does add significant cost to the system however,<span style="font-weight: bold"> but it allows the flexibilty to have a head mounted NVD so you can shoot and move while using the NVD.

Best setup overall</span>. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more unless one really needs to remain passive. Good post.

I am wating for the new DBAL-D2 to show up but until then I have mounted my PVS-14 in front of my ACOG. I dont know if thats the propper way to do it but the coyotes dont seem to complain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wating for the new DBAL-D2 to show up but until then I have mounted my PVS-14 in front of my ACOG. I dont know if thats the propper way to do it but the coyotes dont seem to complain. </div></div>

Wow, you're a lucky one not getting POA/POI issues. This is usually not the way to do things with the ACOG due to optics not be optically aligned very well. Many test over the years we've performed got us 14-18MOA's shifts at 50m. Not had too much success over the years wit this set up, nor have many others we've worked with.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wating for the new DBAL-D2 to show up but until then I have mounted my PVS-14 in front of my ACOG. I dont know if thats the propper way to do it but the coyotes dont seem to complain. </div></div>

Wow, you're a lucky one not getting POA/POI issues. This is usually not the way to do things with the ACOG due to optics not be optically aligned very well. Many test over the years we've performed got us 14-18MOA's shifts at 50m. Not had too much success over the years wit this set up, nor have many others we've worked with.

Vic </div></div>

I have never checked it on a target for POI/POA, I guess I should. It could be dumb luck the two coyotes I have shot have been inside of 50 yards closer to 30 yards. I am new to the NV world and didnt think about a zero shift I mounted it up and could see through it so I went hunting. Thanks for the heads up I'll check it.