• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS MK214

Re: PWS MK214

It sounds like the exact same thing my MA-TEN build was doing. The ejected brass couldnt get out of the way of the bolt as it returned to battery. I had and adjustable gas block on it and all I had to do was turn the gas down and it was fine. The PWS obviously doesnt have adjustable gas so, for some reason your carrier seems to be cycling too fast some times. Maybe there is starting to get some carbon build up on the piston and it seals better than when it is clean. The better seal lets less gas blow by the piston and cycles the carrier faster. Its hard to say because its an intermittent problem. I would call PWS and see what they say.

Yeah, I have an email into them and will follow up with a call tomorrow.

I did find this on their website:

https://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=29

Is it semi ejecting and getting stuck?

Clean the chamber, bore, and bolt thoroughly. Try a less hot ammo (less power), or a heavier buffer. Some ammo can cause the carrier to move faster, which will not give the spent round a chance to eject. Replacing the standard carbine buffer with a heaver buffer such as an H2 or an H3 will slow the carrier down and give the casing a chance to eject.

I will be interested to see what they have to say, I admittedly haven't shot anything less than 168gr, maybe I need to find something lesser and get back out to the range. I only have 300 rounds down it and reading DMacks posts, it sounds like I should be able to abuse the heck out of it and it will keep running. Overall, I have kept this thing pretty clean trying to get it broken in...

Been a week since I have emailed/called them and nothing.... Anyone have a better way to try and communicate with them?

Heard from Stacey, it's going back for warranty work, sending it out today. I will update when I get more info.

update from support:

Upon test firing we discovered what was thought to be under gassing. After further investigation we found that the Barrel extension was out of time. This allowed the bolt to over rotate and hang up. We updated the buffer tube spacer and re-shot the weapon with out any malfunctions. We will re-shoot the weapons prior to sending it to inspection.

Anyone care to translate that into English for me?
smile.gif
I get under gassing, but the Barrel extension was out of time I don't understand admittedly...

They found out lots of cause due to malfunction of this weapon.

1] Under gas
2] Barrel extension is the one near to the feed lip connected to the barrel - this barrel lug is over torque or misalign.

as far as I understand

It looks like they thought it was undergassed at first, but further investigation found the root cause was the barrel extension was out of time.

The barrel extension lugs have to be "timed" or turned to the correct orientation so the corresponding locking lugs on the bolt engage and disengage properly as the bolt rotates, locks and unlocks. I'm glad they took care of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

PWSMK214b-1.jpg
</div></div>

I love your rifles but a few questions.

1. I thought that Geiselle recommends against KNS pins with their triggers?
2. Did you use Cerakote air dry your scope and the same on the rifle or use Heat on the other parts?
I am getting ready to make my second MA TEN FDE in a very similar manner.
3. Do you have any play in your stock?
I have the same stock and same buffer tube (PWS) on a LW build and I get a small amount of side-to-side play that bugs me a bit.

</div></div>

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you... I have been busy with my Facebook Page / Blog (Ranger Proof) lately, and it is becoming a full time job.

On the SD-E... I have them in three precision rifles... and all three, the hammer pin walked out. I installed the KNS pins, and it stopped the issue.

The rifle is done in FDE Cerakote... and yes, I use an electric oven, dedicated to Cerakote... to cure. Even the optics... I just turn the heat down to 115 degrees, and leave it for a long while. Not an issue.

As for the stock, I've not noticed any play in it... but, what I do notice is that I have a hard time getting a repeatable cheek / stock weld for longer precision stocks. I really want to try the PRS on this rifle, but... something about the MK2 carrier being thinner in the back, I don't want to upset the way the rifle runs. This gun runs like a swiss watch...

Prep is everything...

Best of luck with your build!

Any 214 owners running a different stock than factory? Post some pics if you got em'. I'm looking to dump the factory stock for something different and want to see what's out there. Not really interested in a PRS though...what to keep it light.

So I finally got my Mk216 in, disassembled it to clean it before taking it out to the range and I noticed as I was taking the BCG apart that the 216 didn't have that bolt spring (don't know what exactly its called) like my Mk114 and Mk116 BCGs have. For 216 owners out there is this normal? I'm planning on calling PWS up on Monday, but I was hoping for a quick answer because it seems that getting a hold of anyone in the firearms industry is quite challenging these days. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My MK216 has no such spring. It might be unique to the 5.56 models or it might be standard on the new models. I have a first gen without adjustable gas.

Yeah I have the older model too. Thank you Jumper for your reply, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the info on this thread guys, it went a long way to encouraging me to pick up one of these rifles. DMack, you should collect your commission.

Out of interest, are these currently being used in any police departments? If so, could those in the know share who is either issuing them or where they are seeing active service.

Thanks in advance.

Stumbled upon this thread while researching .308 semi-autos. Actually, pursuaded me to order a 216 today!

Question for Dmack:
With the DLOC mount and your HDMR, are you using the badger riser as well for cheek weld or to clear the BUISs?

Thanks,
Tim

Stumbled upon this thread while researching .308 semi-autos. Actually, pursuaded me to order a 216 today!

Question for Dmack:
With the DLOC mount and your HDMR, are you using the badger riser as well for cheek weld or to clear the BUISs?

Thanks,
Tim

I recently just picked up a 216 as well and it is an amazing rifle! you will not be disappointed!!!!

I've had my MK216 MOD 1 out to the range for a total of 120 rounds thus far. I just started shooting at distances beyond handgun/carbine range about two months ago, so I'm still working on my precision fundamentals. I've shot about 500 rounds of .308 through my first bolt gun (FN SPR) and just took delivery of the PWS last week. I mounted my Bushnell ERS 3-21x50 with an Alamo Four Star DLOC 34mm mount and attached an Atlas bipod. Otherwise rifle is right out of the box.

My experiences thus far with the MK216:

Most of my 100yd 5 shot groups have been about 2 MOA, including flyers.
I've had about 5 stove pipes/FTE with both FGMM .308 168 and Fed AE 7.62 168 OTM (gas block set to standard position/one large dot)
I've had a few failure to fires or light primer strikes with the same ammo
Recoil much more manageable (as expected) than my FN SPR A5M, 24" with no muzzle break; able to spot hits consistently when hitting 250 steel; occasionally at 100 yards.
Stock ALG QMS trigger has got to go; Geissele SSA is on the way.
Cheek weld is not that great with the Magpul MOE stock. Will try a VLOR Emod soon.
Despite the FTE and FTFs, I'm very happy with the rifle. Hoping that these issues may be related to breaking-in?

Today's best 5 shot group at 100yards, posted below:

IMG_0822 copy.jpg

I expect MOA groups on my next outing, with or without the Geissele!

I just got back from the range with my mk216 mod 1. Accuracy has been around 1moa when shooting 5 shots. 3 shots are under, ranging from .5-.9 with FGMM. I am very pleased with the rifle so far. I did toss in a SSA-E before I even shot it. I too, am not really fond of the MOE stock on this rifle and may change it in the near future.

You could try running your gun really wet while it breaks in to see if it helps with your FTE and FTF. Less friction would make the bolt travel more freely and could function better. Ive done it with all my semi-autos for the first few hundred rounds and have had good luck so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Spoke to PWS customer service this evening. He suggested running a chamber brush with some solvent to ensure that the bolt is going into full battery. There was some decent dirt/grit inside the chamber that I cleaned out with a dental pick and some spray solvent. Glad to hear you are getting 5 shot groups at an MOA, as that is what I expect from this gun, once I learn to do my part. Once I get the SSA installed I'll go back out and report back.

Updates:
Installed Geissele SSA
Cleaned chamber as directed by Todd at PWS, conditioned and lubed with Fire Clean

Had 120 rounds prior to the above updates. Ran another 140 rounds of FGMM 168g .308, Fed AE 168g OTM 7.62 and a few rounds of BHA 168g .308 'factory seconds' from Mile High after the new trigger and clean/lube job. NO FTEs or FTFs after cleaning chamber and running a li'l wet with the Fire Clean.

It was a wet 39 degrees here in Central Texas today, light mist and rain at Best of the West Shooting Sports in Liberty Hill, TX. I was using a DPMS mag and I had 2 or 3 instances where the bolt did not lock back on this mag. Not sure if that had to do with running the bolt on the wet side with the Fire Clean or the cold weather. I'm very pleased with the SSA upgrade; worth the money indeed.

Got DOPE at 250, 500 and 750yds today with 168g FGMM and the AE 168 OTM. Groups have been more consistent with the FGMM vs the AE OTM, but this lot of AE OTM proved reliable enough on larger steel targets to 500yards.

Fingers were getting numb, so 1000 yard DOPE gathering will have to wait. Anxious to see if the MK216 can be consistent at 1000 with 175g FGMM. Next upgrade will be swapping the MOE stock for a VLTOR EMOD that I scooped off eBay.

Still have less than 1k rounds of .308 experience between my FN SPR and this MK216. Here is the tightest 5 round group from the MK2 thus far:
MK2 Group 11:21:13.jpg

Last edited:
I recently bought a MK216 to go along with MK116 and I love it. I have my SSA-E and USO SR-8S on the way. I am also waiting for my Specwar 762 to get out of prison.

I have shot about 100 rounds with no issues with it. My only concern is that it is scratching up the ejected brass rather fierce around the neck area. I understand that semis are harder on brass but is this normal.
Thanks.

I recently bought a MK216 to go along with MK116 and I love it. I have my SSA-E and USO SR-8S on the way. I am also waiting for my Specwar 762 to get out of prison.

I have shot about 100 rounds with no issues with it. My only concern is that it is scratching up the ejected brass rather fierce around the neck area. I understand that semis are harder on brass but is this normal.
Thanks.

I also recently got a 216. I have only shot 50 rounds through it. It functioned great without any malfunctions. I also noticed it was hard on my brass. From what I have read a lot of semi auto 308's are hard on brass. Some suggested to clip a notch or two off the ejector spring, or adjust the gas block, or also put some velcro on the brass deflector to act as a cushion to the brass. I haven't tried any of those yet. It shoots great so I'm not to worried about it being hard on brass. It can still be reloaded.

I attached a picture of my spent brass.

uploadfromtaptalk1400258701273.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I have been thinking of getting a PWS MK216 so I look forward to your test results. thanks for taking the time to post...