• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS T3 Biathalon Strait pull 10-22

JMC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm looking for a new 22 for use as a trainer and came across this one. It looks to be well made and comes pre-threaded for a suppressor use. It's built on a 10-22 type receiver with a strait pull bolt and toggle action.

However I have not seen much for reviews on it and would like to know more about it before spending about $800 to get one. Factory rep says its capable of 1MOA at 100 meters but I was wondering if anyone here has messed with one and what they though of it before spending the money.

Thanks guys.
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=369&idcategory=35

Last edited:
Is your full size rifle a k31? I ask, because a "trainer" that is a straight pull bolt might be building some bad muscle memory if your full size rifle is not a straight pull bolt.

For the same money you can get a CZ 455 Precision Trainer with a full size Manners stock. Food for thought!

Is your full size rifle a k31? I ask, because a "trainer" that is a straight pull bolt might be building some bad muscle memory if your full size rifle is not a straight pull bolt.

For the same money you can get a CZ 455 Precision Trainer with a full size Manners stock. Food for thought!

I guess I hadn't thought too much about mimicing the turn bolt just something mostly similar with manual operation that help me improve my shooting.

I guess I hadn't thought too much about mimicing the turn bolt just something mostly similar with manual operation that help me improve my shooting.

You know, any trigger time is better than none. The only thing that made me mention it is because I have seen first hand what "overtraining" a certain skill will do to your subconcious. A good example:

Practicing pistol with a pretty proficient buddy, I noticed that he had a huge penchant for practicing mag changes and failures, to a fault. He always loaded two rounds in a mag, so every drill, to "maximize the training opportunity," he would change a mag every two rounds. I thought this was overpracticing a bit as the likelihood of needing a mag change during a firefight with a 17 round Glock was slim, but I mentally made a note. I finally, to prove a point, said "lets change to 5 rounds per mag, as a compromise." Well don't you know, those mags were dropping after two rounds, no matter how hard he tried to focus, because under speed and stress, THAT is what he had trained his mind to do.

Will the same happen with your straight pull rimfire? Who knows. Does it even matter? Probably not! But, that is why I threw it out there.

One of my local shooting buddies has one of these on order so I will get some trigger time with it. It is an interesting concept and I must confess that I have a secret crush on straight pull bolt biathlon rifles. I'm not sure how it's going to work for the local rimfire tactical matches, but i guess we will find out soon enough.

When you get a chance to shoot it I'd love to see a review. I'm looking at a few other options including the CZ 455 as mentioned for the reasons above by BM11. I've got plenty of time to seach and I still haven't ruled this out just expanding my search.

Love mine.

Great accuracy, trigger, light weight, fun with suppressor.

Currently running it with a falcon 4-14 ffp, and my sparrow. The nice thing is that you can change out any part you want with easy to find 10/22 parts.

Camera2_zpse352e4db.jpg

Sorry about the pic, our house is getting baby proof'ed and had to take the pic with my tablet........

Last edited:
I think if you're looking for a "trainer", the CZ is the way to go. If you're looking for a different, fun, light, really well made gun, get the PWS. Last time out mine had a couple .5" groups at 50 with SK Jagd. Haven't had a chance to stretch it out to 100 yet.

359lg89.jpg

Folks what material is the pws t3 summit receiver made from ? Is it durable ? From what I have read its not made from steel.

Just got mine...build quality is excellent.

Took it out to sight in and test some different loads. After zero and shooting a few groups I was just laying prone shooting limbs off of sagebrush all around me....a fantastic little rifle so far. I look forward to playing with it a lot more.

Does anybody ever shoot these at targets? Take a pic of the tgt please and post it. I really would like to see how they do at 50yds? 5rd groups. I want one, like the concept but if it won't shoot straight, I will spend my $ on something else. Have heard mixed reviews so far and nobody seems to want to post a pic of a tgt.

Irish

PWS T3 Biathalon Strait pull 10-22

PWS T3 in Boyd's Tacticool stock w/ SWFA SS 3-9x42mm Mil-Quad in Vortex Precision Matched (Low) rings 100 yard zero. Harris Bipod and rear bag. With CCI Standard Velocity, mine is about 1.5 MOA on average at 100 yards. With better ammo, it's under 1 MOA.

Here's a 20 shot group I shot in July from 50 yard bench (bipod & rear bag). CCI 40gr Standard Velocity

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408989740.984978.jpg

If I can figure out how to post it, I got video shooting 12x18" steel at 300yds with it. 300 yards is a 12 mil hold with the above setup & ammo.

vimeo://video/104323237

Last edited:
PWS T3 accuracy

PWS T3 in Boyd's Tacticool stock w/ SWFA SS 3-9x42mm Mil-Quad in Vortex Precision Matched (Low) rings 100 yard zero. Harris Bipod and rear bag. With CCI Standard Velocity, mine is about 1.5 MOA on average at 100 yards. With better ammo, it's under 1 MOA.

Here's a 20 shot group I shot in July from 50 yard bench (bipod & rear bag). CCI 40gr Standard Velocity

View attachment 47625

If I can figure out how to post it, I got video shooting 12x18" steel at 300yds with it. 300 yards is a 12 mil hold with the above setup & ammo.

vimeo://video/104323237

Junger,

You get the lolipop for being the 1st to post a tgt pic. Gracias Amigo. Am I correct to interpret from your pic that the target's grid is 1" squares? If so, am I reading the group correctly to be a 20rd group measuring about 1.3-1.4" center to center at 50yds? Just checking since it is hard to accurately read a photo and I do not want to jump to conclusions. Help me out here. And thanks for posting.

PS: CCI std vel is hardly match grade ammo. Any chance of getting some pics of 5 shot groups at 50yds with high grade ammo from say: RWS, Eley, Lapua, or similar?

Irish

Correct, those are 1" grid squares. I find I get about 20% fliers with CCI SV. Taking the best 15 of that 20, you get roughly 1.5 MOA.

I mostly shoot CCI SV because I have a lot on hand as it shot the best out of the Savage BSEV that I traded toward this T3. Out of the BSEV, I could consistently get under 0.5 MOA. It also had a 21" barrel.

When thinking of what you should expect from a T3, remember that it's only a 16" barrel that's intended to be suppressed. I should have my Sparrow by mid-November. I think shooting it suppressed will tighten it up further.

I'll follow up once I get some groups with better ammo and once that suppressor comes in.

I've been happy with mine. Its accurate with ammo that it likes but so so with some ammo. I have mine set up with a Mueller APT and Leupold rings and Boyds Tacticool stock. 20 shots of Wolf at 50yds. It seems to shoot Wolf, Fiocchi HV, and CCI Blazer well but didn't care for some of the match ammo I fed it.

707e42ddb0c09f4a77fd7d2980ed94df.jpg

On my last range trip I began experiencing light strikes. Spoke to a tech at PWS and he told me its most likely due to the action "settling in" and the recommended fix is to reset the headspace by removing some barrel shims. I removed two which seemed to firm up the lock up so now just need to get to the range to see if that fixed the issue

Last edited:
Since people are posting their image of their PWS.. here's mine.

It has a Bell & Carlson Anschutz stock, Kidd trigger, Kidd bull barrel and a SWFA SS 1-6x24 scope.
I'm debating whether to put my 5-24x scope on it to shoot out little holes.

PWST3Summit.jpg