• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Q Sugar Weasels Arrive Less than perfect looking

Not to derail the thread, but the OP did ask, so I'm also interested in why BUIS is "antiquated" logic.

The arguments I've heard are that modern optics are so rugged/bullet proof/bomb proof, etc. that the likelihood one failing is negligible.

If that is the reasoning, then I would offer this for consideration:
For an operational piece of equipment that will undergo PCIs/PCCs before every mission, a BUIS might be an unnecessary redundancy. But for a HD gun that will sit in the safe until a bump in the night or Red Dawn happens (or whatever), it's better to be safe than sorry.

Mission dictates gear. A "stand by" gun seems like it would be better off with a set of irons on it "just in case."

Even in the case of an operational rifle, the mission might better served with BUIS, depending on the logistics of resupply in a hostile/remote area (for example).

Here's an anecdote: a couple of summers ago some of the T2s we were using for a training class kept failing intermittently. After changing the batteries on these two (out of 4 that we were using), they still had the issue. The armorers contacted Aimpoint and it was apparently not a new issue. Sometimes, in hot weather, the battery contacts would become intermittent, causing the optic to fail (no dot). I don't remember what the fix was (if any) as I was not involved in the administrative aspects of that incident. We are still using T2s and I have not heard of any repeats of that issue.

Anyway, what am I missing? Is my experience from a couple of years ago antiquated?
It's not antiquated.
Batteries have been known to fail.
Lenses have been known to come loose inside the frame.
Emitters have been known to shit the bed.
Mounts have been known to come loose.
Battery connectors have been known to have issues. (Hello EOTECH)

You don't have only one flashlight, do you?
Yeah, irons suck in the dark, but if it is a properly set up HD rifle, it has a light on it. If you have a light, irons work fine.

It's not antiquated.
Batteries have been known to fail.
Lenses have been known to come loose inside the frame.
Emitters have been known to shit the bed.
Mounts have been known to come loose.
Battery connectors have been known to have issues. (Hello EOTECH)

You don't have only one flashlight, do you?
Yeah, irons suck in the dark, but if it is a properly set up HD rifle, it has a light on it. If you have a light, irons work fine.
I agree. I also prefer night sights when they're available.

Incidentally, I feel like irons work better with a flashlight in the dark than they do in daylight.

Check your gear regularly. Change the battery at scheduled intervals (quarterly, yearly, whatever makes sense for your gear). Iron sights are next to useless in the dark.
So, in the case with Aimpoint that I gave (battery contacts failing), what would you do? Buy two, and if one fails, send it back for warranty work? So instead of back up irons, we have a back up red dot.... :unsure:

So, in the case with Aimpoint that I gave (battery contacts failing), what would you do? Buy two, and if one fails, send it back for warranty work? So instead of back up irons, we have a back up red dot.... :unsure:
I would realize that everyone who asks "should I or should I not run BUIS for TEOTWAWKI" are just undergoing a mental masturbation exercise while shooting their rifle from a bench at a square range...

How the hell do you keep your car running? There are way more electronics that can fail in much more spectacular ways than what you find in a red dot optic.

Or, as I said in my post, check your gear regularly. Is it functional? Turn it on if you keep it off. Is it working? Shake it awake if that is how it works. Is it working? Run some ammo through the gun. Is is still operational? Change the batteries (monthly/quarterly if you must)- even if you don't think they need to be changed. Regular maintenance is how you keep all of this stuff running.

As to the specific question of "what do you do when you find a fault?" Well, what do you do when your car needs a repair? You f'n fix it. And, you may even have a second car sitting in the drive way. Is it possible to have more than one firearm adequate to the task, in the exquisitely unlikely event that an optic suddenly barfs? No one has optics from rifles that have been sold, or for rifles that are yet to be built? No one owns 2+ firearms? Honest question, I don't own any guns. I'm just here for the witty banter...

• Love
Reactions: Naaman
I would realize that everyone who asks "should I or should I not run BUIS for TEOTWAWKI" are just undergoing a mental masturbation exercise while shooting their rifle from a bench at a square range...

How the hell do you keep your car running? There are way more electronics that can fail in much more spectacular ways than what you find in a red dot optic.

Or, as I said in my post, check your gear regularly. Is it functional? Turn it on if you keep it off. Is it working? Shake it awake if that is how it works. Is it working? Run some ammo through the gun. Is is still operational? Change the batteries (monthly/quarterly if you must)- even if you don't think they need to be changed. Regular maintenance is how you keep all of this stuff running.

As to the specific question of "what do you do when you find a fault?" Well, what do you do when your car needs a repair? You f'n fix it. And, you may even have a second car sitting in the drive way. Is it possible to have more than one firearm adequate to the task, in the exquisitely unlikely event that an optic suddenly barfs? No one has optics from rifles that have been sold, or for rifles that are yet to be built? No one owns 2+ firearms? Honest question, I don't own any guns. I'm just here for the witty banter...
I don't own any, either... except for my deer rifle with a 5 round capacity and a manually cycled action and a wooden stock. The optics I was talking about were mounted on duty rifles that were being used for quarterly training. The failures could just as easily have been in the line of duty, in this case.

I see it as one of those things that you don't need it until you need it.

Cheers.

Last edited:

So, are you postulating that car electronics never fail?? (of course you aren't).

They do, and frequently at the worst possible time, sometimes WHILE you are operating said car.
I could check my electronic site right now, and 15 minutes from now, it could shit the bed.
My rifle is a work rifle, even if it wasn't, a decent set of BUIS are cheap insurance.

I don't own any, either... except for my deer rifle with a 5 round capacity and a manually cycled action and a wooden stock. The optics I was talking about were mounted on duty rifles that were being used for quarterly training. The failures could just as easily have been in the line of duty, in this case.
And, what was the remedy in this case? Was the person with the faulty optic sent out with BUIS?

So, are you postulating that car electronics never fail?? (of course you aren't).

They do, and frequently at the worst possible time, sometimes WHILE you are operating said car.
I could check my electronic site right now, and 15 minutes from now, it could shit the bed.
My rifle is a work rifle, even if it wasn't, a decent set of BUIS are cheap insurance.
No, but the amount of pearl clutching over the potential failure of a optic mounted on a “HD rifle” aka safe queen aka range toy, when compared to the potential catastrophe of spectacular electronics failure in an automobile, is comical on a cosmic level.

And, when a set of quality BUIS can run north of $200, they are outside of the area of “cheap insurance.” I can buy a lot of malt liquor for $200.

Reactions: Naaman
And, what was the remedy in this case? Was the person with the faulty optic sent out with BUIS?
We had some additional rifles so we swapped the whole system out for the sake of the training. We don't have a spare rifle lying around when actually on duty, though. We do have spare batteries on duty, but in this case, it would not have solved the problem. The optics failed while in use with fresh batteries in them.

Q predicted this! Lol

for that price I’m surprised they don’t have a nylon deflector like JPs

7097.jpg

Ether way hope they make you right, that looks like a blem rifle, and unless you paid blem prices, I’d be annoyed too

Reactions: 30calDeath
You do know, of course, that electronic devices will fail at some point, and usually at the worst possible time.
You should always have buis on a fighting rifle.

Take it you ride a horse to work and don’t own a car?

What are you typing this on?

Everything can fail, take care of your equipment and it’s majorly mitigated, run it hard and abuse it (like the internet tacticool guys) and you’ll probably also manage to break a buis

Take it you ride a horse to work and don’t own a car?

What are you typing this on?

Everything can fail, take care of your equipment and it’s majorly mitigated, run it hard and abuse it (like the internet tacticool guys) and you’ll probably also manage to break a buis
exactly why you have redundancy.
I have two vehicles.
I have BUIS.

exactly why you have redundancy.
I have two vehicles.
I have BUIS.

The AR next to me has a optic and a 45 degree offset RDS. The chance of both failing, and failing during a life or death situation, well it’s my time I guess

The AR next to me has a optic and a 45 degree offset RDS. The chance of both failing, and failing during a life or death situation, well it’s my time I guess
So, your argument against my rationale that you should always have a backup is that you have a backup?

So, your argument against my rationale that you should always have a backup is that you have a backup?

I’m not really arguing, just saying all being electronics adverse is kinda silly, a mechanical sight can break too, just taking care of ones stuff

I’m not really arguing, just saying all being electronics adverse is kinda silly, a mechanical sight can break too, just taking care of ones stuff
Well, the discussion was the OP showed interest in an EOTECH, but wondered why another member had BUIS on a HD rifle equipped with an EOTECH.
It has nothing to do with being electronics averse, it has everything to do with two is one and one is none.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Oh for fuck sake! Now having a backup to electronic optics is suddenly controversial on SH??

I miss the old Snipershide where some guy would take his brand new 4k bolt gun out in the garage, beat it with a stick and spray paint it.

Also I put backup sights on everything.
The smudge on the safety selector looks like it could just be lube.

2 range trips are going to scratch these things up more than what you have there. Have you tried arfcom to air your grievances?

They sell those Q rifles for 2k bucks apiece. Talk about laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: STLSteve86
I miss the old Snipershide where some guy would take his brand new 4k bolt gun out in the garage, beat it with a stick and spray paint it.

Also I put backup sights on everything.

They sell those Q rifles for 2k bucks apiece. Talk about laughing all the way to the bank.
In the case of the sugar weasel, the buyer is paying a premium (relative to a poverty pony home build) for the ”oh so durable” clear anodizing. But, if it looks like ass and needs to be rattle-canned to go to the range, that belays the whole point of the clear anodizing.

Well, the discussion was the OP showed interest in an EOTECH, but wondered why another member had BUIS on a HD rifle equipped with an EOTECH.
It has nothing to do with being electronics averse, it has everything to do with two is one and one is none.

I can dig that, but if one wanted something faster, a small backup RDS is great on a rifle, especially in low light.

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that the Sugar Weasel was designed as a lower cost offering to the Honey Badger and didn’t get the higher quality finish, additional QC, etc. That was basically what the difference was.

A local store here - before COVID Crazy - actually had both on display and the difference between them was night and day. So was the price. But the Honey Badger was gorgeous. The Sugar Weasel finished kind of reminded me of a blemish version.

Depending on the material 6061, 7075, 7050 and condition T4 or T6 , clade or bare. Clear anodizing has variations of color that is due to time in tank and conduction of a part. Anodized test should be performed monthly for thickness and concentration. The color shows up when it’s dipped into anoseal 200F. the class of anodize also will determine the thickness and reflect color on material. Prep of material before anodize should be a detergent or degreaser/alkaline clean followed by an acid etch.

i have seen color blotching due to final DI rinse water left on part for a period of time or poor contact with parts on rack. Lots of room for error and I’m sure it’s outsourced due to its complexity.

Reactions: CrayonsGood
Depending on the material 6061, 7075, 7050 and condition T4 or T6 , clade or bare. Clear anodizing has variations of color that is due to time in tank and conduction of a part. Anodized test should be performed monthly for thickness and concentration. The color shows up when it’s dipped into anoseal 200F. the class of anodize also will determine the thickness and reflect color on material. Prep of material before anodize should be a detergent or degreaser/alkaline clean followed by an acid etch.

i have seen color blotching due to final DI rinse water left on part for a period of time or poor contact with parts on rack. Lots of room for error and I’m sure it’s outsourced due to its complexity.
Considering the other finishes that have been developed, it seems a little silly to be still messing around with anodizing at this point.

Having BUIS is antiquated? Definitely not antiquated when your life depends on that gun. If you’re just plinking and it’s a sport rifle, do whatever but if it’s a duty rifle or defense, that’s not the approach I would take. In a fight things happen, more than just batteries dying, in a Iraq a guy on my squad had his M68 shot in a fight, he had BUIS, so he stayed in the fight. Just one example of several I could think of from personal experience.

Reactions: redx
View attachment 7665794
Less than a week old Cerakote; 1-30rd mag suppressed, not even a scuff.

The guy that does this for me is a friend of mine. He's been professionally painting for 10+ years, and just started Cerakote a couple years ago, to accompany his side work of powder coating and hydrographics. The process is standard, and seems to work well if you follow the rules. Not trying to rub in your misfortune, just sharing my experience with what is allegedly the same coating.....

ETA: I have more trouble not scratching my weapons with my Tungsten ring, as opposed to the abuse they're subjected to daily.....
The q is anodized and cerakoted

Q's product page for the Sugar Weasel, before the new website, did have a note on the page about the finish:

Unlike billet receivers, forged receivers have impurities in the metallurgical content due to the forging process. Since no dye is added during anodizing, any imperfections or impurities in the metal are more readily seen through the clear anodization. Unfortunately, it's something that cannot be avoided but is only cosmetic in nature.

It was also mentioned in a Q&A that they did with AmmoLand when it was launched:

Also of note, while both guns have a clear anodized finish, the billet on the Honey Badger is very pure and has no imperfections. Giving the Honey Badger a very perfect gold color. There can be some minor impurities in the forged aluminum used in the Sugar Weasel, sometimes giving the receivers slight streaks.

I purchased 2 sugar weasels in April of 2020. The Covid excuse (probably somewhat valid) pushed the Nov date to February, to May and then finally I received them earlier this week. I will hopefully get a change to try them out tomorrow but was pretty unhappy with the finish on these guns. I have to say I've never seen a worse looking finish on a new gun. They say the anodizing gives it a random look but I have enough experience buying cans and other things that are anodized to know the difference between randomness and color variation vs just a poor effort. For $1600 a piece, I dont think I'm being b*tchy but please feel free to give me your opinion. Most guns I have bought new (probably around 15) are well below the price of this one and either I've been very lucky, they F'd up, or I fail to understand the nuisance of this process. Either way, it seems like a pretty hefty price to charge and send out.

I had a few email exchanges with them but before I go over those let me first show my complaints in pictures below. On the flip side of the finish quality, I am loving the way they feel and work. The pistol brace is high quality, cannot say much yet about the trigger. It feels lighter than I could of imagined. The actual color is more earth tone (desert tan mixed with some green tones) than I expected from pictures/videos I've seen. Makes it a little less bold / noticeable looking which is probably a good thing.

The marks from brass deflector from testing I guess I can deal with. I'm sure over time it was going to happen anyway.
View attachment 7665747
However there were other marks on this gun which is supposed to be new. Not what I would put in the rugged category, I can only imagine how bad the finish will look after some real usage. Here's some of those pictures. The smudge on the opposite side of the safety reminds me of what my grade school art class paintings would look like.
View attachment 7665751View attachment 7665752

View attachment 7665750

and finally the beautiful new magazines!

View attachment 7665757View attachment 7665758View attachment 7665759
You make me think back to my first rifle purchase during the Obama years, a little Ruger 10/22 Walnut stock from Dicks....... Got it home and found 3 tiny indented lines in the stock, was so unhappy. Took it back to fuss but that went nowhere, the indents seemed to align with some box staples, it was more likely Ruger's packaging screwup coimbined with shipping abuse. Or perhaps even mine, on the way home........

Some 40 weapons later, including 4 more Rugers, I've learned to mostly get past the small stuff.......even though it still bothers. But the flip side as you put it, how they feel and work - THAT is what strikes the bargain, eh?

I will admit, I've never had such as yours with a NEW purchase of similar price........that just might make me go ballistic.

Luck in the future!

And the way the current admin is leading, we'll be needing that flip side, eh?