• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Q Suppressors

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    Not hearing much about the suppressors from Q anymore. For those of you that have them how are you liking them? Would you buy one again? How do they compare to the other cans that you have?
    Thanks,

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
    I have a Q Full Nelson on a short 300 b.o. Zero complaints, it's light, it's very quiet. I would definitely buy again if I wasn't getting on the keymo bandwagon. The owner stirs up some shit on the message boards, but his cans are g2g. He backs them up like any other reputable company with the lifetime warranty.

I've got thunder chicken, trash panda, and half nelson. I like them. A buddy of mine has a couple Q's, surefire, oss, and rugged. He likes Q best.

Kevin B. rubs people the wrong way, and sometimes he deserves the backlash, but his silencers are well thought out and work well. I swap mine back and forth between a few guns. Mounting system is simple and effective, and I've never had a problem with returning to zero.

I have 2 full nelsons. Friend has 2 as well.

We have a pile of cans between us. Im pretty close to 27 myself. He has more than I do.

They don't suck. A lot of stuff no longer gets shot. My buddy can’t get over how quiet it makes his 16” 270 sound with his overpressure handloads.

Definitley the first time I’ve heard of a 16” .270!
    Thanks for the input.

Reactions: tvalks
    I’ve got a Thunder Chicken that lives on my 20 inch Desert Tech 6.5 CM barrel. It also does part time duty on my ARs. It’s got a great tone, little to no first round pop, and it’s stupid quiet with the Creedmoor. I’ve not got more than a handful of rounds through it on the AR, but after the first 100 rounds on the DT, I’d say I’m pretty pleased.

I've had my Q Thunder Chicken almost 2 years coming up on 6k rounds I love the tone of it. I shoot supers and subs in 7.62x39 and also 6.5. Cherry Bomb is a kick ass design for QD. I shopped long and hard shot Sig, Gemtech, Surefire and TBAC....all great cans, but Q won me over at the end.

Last edited:
    Reactions: skyrep and tvalks
    Got a Trash Panda to dedicate to my 300BLK pistol. Excellent can. The Wolf 9sd sounds great but it’s a bit long and heavy. It will go back on the MPX when my F4 clears.

I have a Thunder Chicken and an El Camino.

The TC is swapped between several guns and it's great. I have a YHM Phantom that is pretty old at this point and heavy as can be. I wanted something much lighter and picked the TC and have not regretted that decision.

I will most likely buy a TBAC for my BA 6.5 but for now the TC does great.

The EC is a great can as well. I have a Surefire Ryder and I love the weight of it but I absolutely hate cleaning it. Bought the EC and don't worry about cleaning it now.

Not hearing much about the suppressors from Q anymore. For those of you that have them how are you liking them? Would you buy one again? How do they compare to the other cans that you have?
    Thanks,
    I use my thunder chicken between 3 guns, and it is repeatable on all of them, always zero'd the same as where they were prior to taking the can off. lightweight. quiet and deep tone. The Q Cherry Bomb (or having a barrel with taper before threads) is a great solution for weight and repeatable accuracy. I love my Q suppressor.
    I will want to get a YHM resonator and YHM turbo k and replace their mounts with plan B attachements to dedicate to my short barreled ARs in the future.

Reactions: hlee
    I use my thunder chicken between 3 guns, and it is repeatable on all of them, always zero'd the same as where they were prior to taking the can off. lightweight. quiet and deep tone. The Q Cherry Bomb (or having a barrel with taper before threads) is a great solution for weight and repeatable accuracy. I love my Q suppressor.
    I will want to get a YHM resonator and YHM turbo k and replace their mounts with plan B attachements to dedicate to my short barreled ARs in the future.
    Fellow Hider and I are doing form 1 can's and we both chose Cherry Bombs with Plan B's. He's on Diversified and I'll be doing either Muted Machine or Maverick Precision.

I've got a thunderchicken, full Nelson and el camino. The full nellson is used on a dt srs 308 covert 16 inch. I previously used a surefire socom and the impact shift is about quarter inch less at the 6 at 100 yds. The tone at the ear is better, due to the increase in volume, and have had no deviations in repeatability.

Reactions: Hondo1
    DM will keep you waiting a long time. Not my personal experience, but gathered from a lot of research regarding internals. Maverickprecision.com has a lot of quality product. I'm currently in the process with 2 form 1's, using 17-4 SS internals, and my tubes/spacers/end caps are all from superprecisionconcepts.com great company, great product

Fellow Hider and I are doing form 1 can's and we both chose Cherry Bombs with Plan B's. He's on Diversified and I'll be doing either Muted Machine or Maverick Precision.

And one other thing, while the Cherry Bomb is popular, be aware that it is a FLASH HIDER, not a BRAKE. There has been many discussions regarding this mounting solution. A good brake will take substantial amounts of abuse, redirecting blast from your first baffle. The flash hider will launch that blast forward, directly at your first baffle. Food for thought. Good luck, I'll post mine up as they come together, hopefully you'll do the same

DM will keep you waiting a long time. Not my personal experience, but gathered from a lot of research regarding internals. Maverickprecision.com has a lot of quality product. I'm currently in the process with 2 form 1's, using 17-4 SS internals, and my tubes/spacers/end caps are all from superprecisionconcepts.com great company, great product

And one other thing, while the Cherry Bomb is popular, be aware that it is a FLASH HIDER, not a BRAKE. There has been many discussions regarding this mounting solution. A good brake will take substantial amounts of abuse, redirecting blast from your first baffle. The flash hider will launch that blast forward, directly at your first baffle. Food for thought. Good luck, I'll post mine up as they come together, hopefully you'll do the same

This is opposite of what the cherry bomb is. It is absolutely not a flash hider. It is a brake. As a standalone brake it isn't great. It is a good suppressor mount and is in fact designed to be a sacrificial stainless steel blast baffle to protect the first titanium baffle.

This is opposite of what the cherry bomb is. It is absolutely not a flash hider. It is a brake. As a standalone brake it isn't great. It is a good suppressor mount and is in fact designed to be a sacrificial stainless steel blast baffle to protect the first titanium baffle.
    The inside of the cherry bomb, is barely a baffle or blast surface. It is a hollow space, surrounded by little vent holes. It is not a muzzle brake, I stand by my statement. They also only bore one size, but thread in many. So a 5.56 is passing through a .375ish hole, no matter what.

I will agree, that it is a great mounting system. The taper design keeps the threads safe from blast and carbon buildup, and lock up is square and solid. I will also agree, that it is beautiful heat treated SS. But it is no brake.

Reactions: rwest309
    This is the cherry bomb; notice it's small blast area, and lack of redirecting blast surfaces
    q-cherry-bomb-03.jpg

This is a muzzle brake (Griffin Paladin)
    Notice its aggressive blast faces, that will redirect gas sideways, effectively filling your blast chamber with gasses
    s-l300.jpg

There are other designs used similar to the Paladin that are also effective.

This is not to say that the CB is bad, because it's not. But a brake does things inside that blast chamber, that are very beneficial to suppressor and user. YMMV

Shoot a cherry bomb at night and see if you still think it's a flash hider. Gas comes out of those little holes the same as gas comes out the sides of a more aggressive brake like you showed. If it directs gas anywhere but forward (it does) then it accomplishes what it is designed to do.

I have a Trash panda and love it... I pretty much want to run it on every rifle I own and forget all my other cans.. I want to pick up a thunder chicken.. for my 300WM butr was waiting to see what the "Pork Chop" (.338 can) was going to be

I shot my creed the other day with just the Cherry Bomb on it.
    If it's not a muzzle brake, you sure coulda fooled me.
    It reduced the recoil much better than the RPR brake that I've been using.
    It moves a shit ton of gas through those little ports too.
    And being to the side of you I can assure you the CB ain't just a flash hider. Considerably more annoying than that RPR brake you had on there. Glad you got your Form 1 done!!!!!!!!

I have a Trash panda and love it... I pretty much want to run it on every rifle I own and forget all my other cans.. I want to pick up a thunder chicken.. for my 300WM butr was waiting to see what the "Pork Chop" (.338 can) was going to be
    I looked at the TP, but opted for the most volume. I'd love to hear that thing in a side by side I have a buddy in IN running one, but not yet had a chance to shoot it. Love my TC I don't think you will be disappointed.

Have the TP and TC and just did my form 4 for the JS. Currently own ~ 25-30 cans ... TB, AAC, SiCo, SAS, Q ... love them all , prefer the TB for precision work, love the Q for versatility, weight. So basically run Q on my fixes and all semis, TB on precision bolts.

It’s funny that people here don’t have any respect for radial brakes- like side venting brakes are the only design. The cherry bomb is not a flash hider.

Exactly.... Spikes Tactical, Griffin Armament, and now Q all make radial, small hole vented brakes. I used the Spikes Tactical one for a couple years and loved it. Another positive note is they don't snag on anything.

I've attached a picture to showcase how clean the taper mount keeps the threads. Q obviously isn't the only one doing it, and I've become quite fond of this style of mounting. 1 shot at night will quickly tell you that it is not a flash hider. Lol

Attachments

• 20200728_190602.jpg
      20200728_190602.jpg
      444.7 KB · Views: 269
    • 20200728_190920.jpg
      20200728_190920.jpg
      509.6 KB · Views: 622
    I've attached a picture to showcase how clean the taper mount keeps the threads. Q obviously isn't the only one doing it, and I've become quite fond of this style of mounting. 1 shot at night will quickly tell you that it is not a flash hider. Lol
    The mounting system is what initially drew me into looking at Q and I'm building my Form 1 around it as well. I've run the stink out of mine right at 7k rounds not even a hiccup.

The cherry bomb is a pretty effective and one of, if not the, most elegant mounting solution for suppressors. The taper definitely works as designed.

While I'm not a huge fan of the owner of Q, and how arrogant he comes off as, he does implement some clever and elegant design solutions into his products.

I went with the Cherry bomb mount to run my wife's Omega suppressor across her bolt gun and our ar-15's, and for its purpose it works well. Most elegant solution out there.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
    The cherry bomb is a pretty effective and one of, if not the, most elegant mounting solution for suppressors. The taper definitely works as designed.

While I'm not a huge fan of the owner of Q, and how arrogant he comes off as, he does implement some clever and elegant design solutions into his products.

I went with the Cherry bomb mount to run my wife's Omega suppressor across her bolt gun and our ar-15's, and for its purpose it works well. Most elegant solution out there.

Does the Q mounting system do well on semi autos? No backing off or anything since it’s just threaded on? I’m considering having the garbage 51T on my AAC 762 SDN-6 changed out to use Qs system but was curious if it’s ideal for semi autos.

Maybe I’ll even change out the area 419 on my omega to the Q setup as well.

Does the Q mounting system do well on semi autos? No backing off or anything since it’s just threaded on? I’m considering having the garbage 51T on my AAC 762 SDN-6 changed out to use Qs system but was curious if it’s ideal for semi autos.

Maybe I’ll even change out the area 419 on my omega to the Q setup as well.
    I can give an answer from my chair on that if you don't mind. I'm right at 7k rounds on my Q Thunder Chicken with Cherry Bomb on a PWS 7.62x39 gasser/6.5 bolt. About 6k are on the PWS and it's been nothing short of perfect.

I can give an answer from my chair on that if you don't mind. I'm right at 7k rounds on my Q Thunder Chicken with Cherry Bomb on a PWS 7.62x39 gasser/6.5 bolt. About 6k are on the PWS and it's been nothing short of perfect.

Great to hear thank you sir. Sounds like a great setup to run across bolt guns and ARs. I’m hoping I can get a mount bored or made to fit the 14x1RH threads on my VZ58 as well.

Reactions: kthomas
    Great to hear thank you sir. Sounds like a great setup to run across bolt guns and ARs. I’m hoping I can get a mount bored or made to fit the 14x1RH threads on my VZ58 as well.
    That's really funny you say that initially I started out thinking about suppressing a WASR for my dad....always wanted and AK. There is a guy outside Tampa who does great work if you need your muzzle rethreaded. It's $25 to check it and $125 if he needs to pull the barrel for rethreading. I even bought a KNS Precision 5/8" adapter for my L hand AK threads. As it turns out built dad a PWS and may trade the AK for a really nice 22lr.

That's really funny you say that initially I started out thinking about suppressing a WASR for my dad....always wanted and AK. There is a guy outside Tampa who does great work if you need your muzzle rethreaded. It's $25 to check it and $125 if he needs to pull the barrel for rethreading. I even bought a KNS Precision 5/8" adapter for my L hand AK threads. As it turns out built dad a PWS and may trade the AK for a really nice 22lr.

I’ll check them out thank you! I have a yugo opap and a Romanian underfolder parts kit im building into an SBR that I plan on suppressing as well. The VZ58 is sweet but the super uncommon 14x1RH threads suck and I really don’t want to run an adapter.

I’ll check them out thank you! I have a yugo opap and a Romanian underfolder parts kit im building into an SBR that I plan on suppressing as well. The VZ58 is sweet but the super uncommon 14x1RH threads suck and I really don’t want to run an adapter.
    I used to have a fake facebook account for following a few businesses and reached out to a few of their customers on the page about their work all said stellar, great coms etc. I still plan on taking a 22 to them for threading

Reactions: Jnull
    Has anyone used a Q suppressor with a Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW? Which one did you use?

For me, it will always be attached, so the half nelson seems to makes sense. Although, since the DDM4 PDW has traditional threads (without a taper), I'm wondering how worried I should be about carbon lock and if the cherry bomb with TP or TC would be better.

Also, with a 7.5 barrel, adding the TP almost doubles the length. At that point does an extra inch for the TC noticeably impact your ability to maneuver in a home?

Thanks for sharing!

All the Q muzzle devices and cans lock solidly to 90 shoulder regardless of barrel taper. The cans and muzzle devices have wrench flats for removal.Under stress is an inch going to matter? You need to ask yourself what sacrifice your willing to make. Volume and suppression vs maneuverability. I choose suppression. Again the intended use is critical, door kicker, stacked or waking up in the middle of the night to an intruder with your wife and daughter in the bed. My go to is an HB with a TC.

Ive had no issues with my Trash Panda shooting subs and supers through the Honey Badger and Mini Fix... great suppressor in my opinion

That is false. The Cherry Bomb is a Brake (albeit not the most effective brake). It does act as a blast baffle, increasing the life of the first baffle and not reducing it.

How many rounds and how many silencers would you consider sufficient to refute the claims of taper locations? I've easily shot 50k rounds of centerfire ammo through taper mounts in the last 15 years. I remember when KB used to claim taper mounts were stupid.

Here are pictures of brakes from several different manufacturers, all threads in front of the taper, and none have ever had an issue associated with the taper location. This is probably half of the taper brakes I have but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20201203_121933.jpg
      20201203_121933.jpg
      278.5 KB · Views: 129
    • 20201203_122143.jpg
      20201203_122143.jpg
      412.9 KB · Views: 138
    • 20201203_122326.jpg
      20201203_122326.jpg
      483.7 KB · Views: 229
    Its hard to argue that the taper in front of the threads doesn't keep the threads cleaner. Whether that becomes an issue in your particular situation is a different matter. This one doesn't have many rounds through it, but you can clearly see that the taper stops the fouling from encroaching into the threads...
    cherry bomb.jpg

have all of them, hold them in the same esteem as TBAC. TBAC are for my precision rifles, Qs for everything else.

My only real beef with the cherry bomb brake is that it is so minimized that it doesn’t have wrench flats on the back. If it twists off with your can, it’s really stuck in there. This makes rockset or the like necessary. I’d rather be able to screw the brake onto the barrel without thread locker and be certain that I could easily remove the brake if there is an issue. As is, I have settled on rock-setting my brake and haven’t had an issue. But, it is a pain.

only had the trash panda for a few months but I’m pretty happy with it. I have converted all mounts the cherry/bomb plan B including having a AAC SDN6 converted to a plan b mount.

I’ve got a couple of cans in jail right now. I plan to use them initially with their factory mounts, but bought them with the intention of converting them to the plan B. Maybe, maybe not. I really like the idea of mount commonality, but with enough cans the need to play musical rifles is eliminated...

That is false. The Cherry Bomb is a Brake (albeit not the most effective brake). It does act as a blast baffle, increasing the life of the first baffle and not reducing it.
    While I might have been hasty with my response; I just can not see it being the most effective "brake" one could use in conjunction with a suppressor. Sure, the guy that designed/owns it, had a couple company's to burn through for his testing and I dont. Im just a guy that appreciates muzzle brakes, and if some man bun posted up at the line next to me telling me that was a brake; I'd gladly direct some magnum level concussion his way. There's definitely a pocket of sort inside there, but with something high pressure (like 5.56, which im sure a shit load of his cans are on) i think the little holes are too small to redirect, thus forcing the blast out the front still. I dont have one, probably never will. There are WAY better "brakes" out there. That's just my .02

I have a half Nelson and a erector both great cans and got free tax stamps thru silencer shop when I got them