• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes QD mount sugestions for a AR

fishinjoe

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
New to the forum but I am looking for recommendations for a QD mount for my LaRue AR. I will probably going with something 1-8x24 with a 30mm tube. You guys seem to have a wealth of information so I figured I would ask here.

Thanks
Joe

This x2....ive been running American Defense Recon and Recon-S for years...very good mounts and ability to change ring size is a win for me

Reactions: Birddog6424
This x2....ive been running American Defense Recon and Recon-S for years...very good mounts and ability to change ring size is a win for me

Ditto. I have 30mm and 34mm rings. And to be able to buy those for $60 versus an entire new mount is a great selling point.

Badger unimount and carry a small socket (which you should already have your weapon torque/tool kit in your range bag/field kit anyways). You’ll get better consistency and repeatability this way.

If you’re dead set on QD, I had great success with LaRue mounts on my ARs in the past. That said, I’ve replaced all of my mounts with badger.

Last edited:
Midwest make a really nice mount, i have a few and I'm really happy with them.

I agree with the Badger C1 + carry a small socket if you need it. You can use pliers in a pinch. Nobody is ripping off QD optics in combat due to failures so they can stay in the fight; if there's bullets going through your scope there's probably bullets going through you. I'd rather have a secure repeatable mount, and if you have a scope failure from dropping it off a building or something in the field, find cover and do what you need to. Modern quality scopes just don't fail from even hard use, and the failure modes generally don't result in the need to rip the scope off in ten seconds. Do offset BUIS or dot if you really feel the need for backups.

If you're after QD to just swap rifles, still go with the bolt/socket mount style. They are more repeatable when switching weapons, and really don't take any longer.

Some QD scope mounts are iffy. Look at any that you may want and see if there are ANY springs in the locking or mounting hardware. If so stay away.

If this is not a true combat grade gun then go with tbe 1990s tech and get a bolt on mount. It is funny how what is old and outdared one day if new any cool again.

I saw that about a true combat gun because i have a friend that had his ACOG shot and he had to use the QD mount to get ot off and get back intkt he fight. So it is done in combat. I pulled an POS Aimpoint off my M4 when the glass cracked and I couldn't see through it.

Have
Some QD scope mounts are iffy. Look at any that you may want and see if there are ANY springs in the locking or mounting hardware. If so stay away.

If this is not a true combat grade gun then go with tbe 1990s tech and get a bolt on mount. It is funny how what is old and outdared one day if new any cool again.

I saw that about a true combat gun because i have a friend that had his ACOG shot and he had to use the QD mount to get ot off and get back intkt he fight. So it is done in combat. I pulled an POS Aimpoint off my M4 when the glass cracked and I couldn't see through it.

Haven’t heard from the OP after his post . Seeing as it’s going on a LaRue rifle Why not a LaRue mount ?
I mounted one (LaRue LT 104) on my Colt 6920 , hardly had to tweak it to make it tight and solid. For the reasonable price , I’m pleased. Also dig their MBT 2-S triggers.

New to the forum but I am looking for recommendations for a QD mount for my LaRue AR. I will probably going with something 1-8x24 with a 30mm tube. You guys seem to have a wealth of information so I figured I would ask here.

Thanks
Joe
The American Defense Recon is an excellent option.
Ditto. I have 30mm and 34mm rings. And to be able to buy those for $60 versus an entire new mount is a great selling point.

Have you considered a LaRue Tactical SPR /M4 QD LT 104 ?
If you want to use a LaRue mount on your LaRue rifle, as Sandhog308 said, the LaRue SPR/M4 LT 104 is an excellent mount. The cam tension on the QD Clamps can be fine-tuned to the exact tension you want on the clamps. OTOH, if you're open to other mounts, as Birddog6424 and jc98ss said, the American Defense Manufacturing Recons are great mounts and the ADM AutoLoc clamps are tool less. However, the adjustments are in 1/8th turn increments and sometimes you get perfect tension, and sometimes the tension can be a bit tight for QD (better a bit too tight than a bit too loose).

I've used LaRue mounts on ARs' and bipods before, and the worked great. However, after swapping and bipods on-and-off different picatinny rails I decided to go with tool less adjustments so I converted my mounts to tool less (ADM). I have a PMII 1-4X20 LT in a 20 MOA Recon on a LWRC M6IC Enhanced, a TA31RSR-R in a AD-B3 on a LWRC M6IC Enhanced, and a MRO Patrol on a MRO-10-TAC (Full Cowitness) on my AR-22. I have ADM AD-BP-P2 QD picatinny mounts on their bipods.

LWRC M6IC Enhanced with PMII 1-4X20 LT CQB in 20 MOA ADM Recon:

I don't know him, but woolin is selling a 20 MOA Recon for $125.00 shipped (excellent price) in his "ADM Recon mount" thread. That's the same 20 MOA mount I have on the LWRC M6IC Enhanced in my photos above.

LWRC M6IC Enhanced with TA31RSR-R in ADM AD B3:

TacSol/LWRC M6IC-A2 AR-22 with MRO Patrol in Full-Cowitness ADM MRO 10 TAC:

Yeah, I like ADM mounts.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Birddog6424
Wait doesn't Larue make qd mounts? LaRue is like super well known for the mounts, or at least they used to be

Reactions: Docsherm
I started with Larue mounts but have converted to mostly ADM now. Like how ADM clamp on instead of relying on the lever to gouge into the underside of the rail on the Larue.

Reactions: Aries64
I was out of town with no internet I didn't see the replies. I was thinking a QD mount just so I could remove and reinstall the scope because I wanted to have a couple different optics for this rifle. I am fine with something in which I need to use tools to install/remove. I guess the better way of asking my question would have been a mount that would hold zero after being removed and reinstalled.

Joe

I have used ADM mounts on multiple rifles and finally got a Bobro. While I think the ADM mounts are good, I like the Bobro more and I feel the QD mechanism is superior. Also the rings are lower profile which is helpful to see markings on certain scopes.