• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes QD mounts for 30mm scope?

Zback

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2019
What QD mount y'all using for 30mm tube scopes? I was looking at a Larue. I'm likely going to get a Pulsar thermion and they have 1.96" of eye relief.

Larue gets some hate on here, but their stuff is really good. Geissele and bobro are very good as well.

I second Larue. I just purchased one of their LT204 mounts and I’m impressed so far.

Why the hate on Larue?
Do a search on here and you’ll see. Personally I’ve never had a problem with their OBR, scope mounts, and customer service. Others, not so much. I’m cool with running their mounts on my gas guns and the hate on here is fine because it means the mounts are usually sold in the PX way below retail.

That being said, when it comes to QD mounts, I only have experience with Larue. If I’m mounting an optic to a bolt gun, it gets put in steel badger rings. I have yet to try a Spuhr mount but I plan on trying one with the next rifle. For a bolt gun, I see no need for QD as your field kit should include fix it sticks so mounting/remounting/swapping isn’t an issue. In reality for most, there’s no real need for QD but it can be nice at times.

Reactions: Saluki68
This will be a thermal on a AR
Yea I caught that in your original post, was just elaborating on the LaRue hate part and how I’ve been happy with (and use) mine.

You shouldn’t have a problem with LaRue man, they’re solid mounts and can take some abuse. There’s one in the PX right now that’s 30mm and the guy is asking like 120. It’s the VFZ not the QD but still a solid mount system if you’re looking on a budget. The QD ones pop up for around 150 as well.

Best of luck! ?

I like Scalarworks as well, but it's not a true QD imo, it uses a thumbwheel system and not a lever system. Midwest has a few lever QD ones that look decent for about $170 or so, much cheaper than the Scalarworks mount. For moving around thermal I would prefer a lever system as a bottom line.

scalarworks_leap_scope_mount_hero.jpg

I have LaRue 30mm ultra low on a bolt gun, they have always proven their worth. Also, I bounce a 34mm scope in Larue rings back and forth between 2 precision uppers, and the recorded difference is always spot on. I have ADM QD rings on an AR, and while i have no complaints, its not a precision rifle. I just don’t trust them as much. All other optics I have are in Spuhr rings for reference, and its not like they’re difficult to take on and off with near perfect return.

If I recall part of the issue with the LaRue mount has been people that say it scratches/galls the rail and that the adjustment to make it not scratch isn't straight forward. That's my memory though. There's a bottomless pit of opinion on LaRue mounts and part of that may or may not be due to some folks dislike of Mark. Your mileage may vary.

American Defense Recon 30mm. I run them on all my AR pattern rifles. Flat and 20 MOA, no issues, and RTZ just fine for me.

There was a pretty good pseudo-scientific study about QD systems a while back. I believe the top performer was Bobro, and Larue was somewhat underwhelming in return-to-zero.

Bobro levers are nice, but they take up a lot of space. Plus some bobro mounts have screwed-in recoil lugs, which have been sheared off in the past. Big red flag on that one.

GG&G was also a good performer, plus their mounts are pretty light. That lever sticks out for eternity though.

Honestly, the Scalarworks stuff is the hotness right now. If you've got the money to spend, those are really well-made.

Regardless, Larue mounts are proven in the field, and they're definitely known to be robust. Their price is usually pretty favorable too.

A number of years ago now I did a review on Bobro's two lever precision optic mount. I have found these to have excellent return to zero and I now use them pretty heavily. I think I have seven of them at the moment. Doing a number of scope reviews a year I constantly have to yank my optics to put on review scopes. The Bobro's allow me to do this without a constant need to re-zero. I think the real key to why they work so well is the spring loaded lug (this has screws in it but is press fit as well, you cannot unscrew it) that locks the mount forward against one of the lugs on the pic rail. The Bobro locking levers themselves are also nicer to use than any others I have tried but I think it is the spring loaded lug that is what makes the things return to zero so well.