• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

quad rail foreamrs for carbine lenght ar-15

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
Looking for a mid-lenght free floated quad rail. This will be going on a DPMS 16" rifle. I'm wondering whats the difference in quad rails from say a low end (yankee hill) to say high end (surefire) other than the money?

Fit / finish not right or the rails not to spec or is it just a name brand issue?

Re: quad rail foreamrs for carbine lenght ar-15

I can answer this one kinda easilly, I have a YHM CARBINE length rail..... I have a Troy 13.8inch Extreme rail..... the TROY is HALF the weight, and twice the length.

The difference is weight, zeroing and optics alignment with removal and reinstalling, & durability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top end=Larue </div></div>

Price wise ... yep they sure are up there.

I have a DD M4 Omega that is super light. I am thinking of selling my DD 9.0 if interested. I think the DD rails are par to none.

you cant go wrong with the YHM but I love my Troy extreme battle forearm, I have used both just a preference, I think you'll find that 4 pictinny rails are a lot of extra weight and Little return, that why I went with the Troy its a lot more customize-able.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference is weight, zeroing and optics alignment with removal and reinstalling, & durability. </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">Winner, winner, chicken dinner!</span> Higher-end rail systems fit better, are lighter, and help optics maintain POI closer to zero than cheapo stuff. YHM is OK, but I prefer <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Daniel Defense Lite Rails</span></span>.

The DD Lite Rails are the lightest quad rails around that use a steel barrel nut. Aside from the price, the only drawback to them is that you need a special DD "Lite Rail Barrel Nut Wrench" to install and remove a Lite Rail. If I were running a DI gun I would have a Lite Rail.

Heres' a link to an old, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">short review of the DD Lite Rail with photos</span></span>. And heres' a direct link to the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Daniel Defense Lite Rail 7.0</span></span>.

Keith

I have the DD Omega and the LaRue handguards and they are worth every penny. I don't like the thick profile of the YHM but other than that they are good. The DD and LaRue are light and extremely high quality. I would buy them both again.

Daniel Defense Omega. Depending on your M4gery config you can go with a 7 or 9". Nice and light and a comfortable profile to handle.

I've used all three rail sys. Here's my 2€. YHM is cheap. The diff in weight is min but the other rails will hold zero. At 50-100 not much of a diff. 200-350m big diff also they are loose fitting. I mount and remove a 203 and have a gas piston sys on my 6.8 so I use a modified YHM rail inter. with removable lower BUT I do not mount optics on my handguards. If you use a type of laser, illuminator or optics on the rails for distance I would go with Larue or DD. Free float rails. On my M4 I use the DD GP rails Quality rail! Great for long top rail and space to mount goodies, but that brings us back to Oz=Lbs=Pain. If you shoot at the range and don't see much Real world use or windy 350m shots I would go with the YHM. You DO NOT have to pay top dollar on an every day plinker. If you plan on returning fire, by all means spend the money. Hope I helped