• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Quality 9mm 1911

AMG04

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
What do you recommend for a quality 1911 chambered in 9mm?

My wife likes the size and feel of my 1911, but is not in love with the recoil. What I am looking for is a quality, reliable 1911 chambered in 9mm.

I've seen both Taurus and Night Hawk 1911s in 9mm. However, the issue is I am not familiar with Taurus (never owned one) and the Night Hawk MSRP is $3100.

Do any of you have first hand experience with either, and what other manufactures offer 1911s in 9mm?

Re: Quality 9mm 1911

Thank you Downzero!

This is exactly what I am looking for. I had previously looked at STI, but only at their competition line. I didnt realize they offer 1911s in 9mm in the $700 range.

I have heard good things about STI and $700 for a solid gun works for me.

Again, thank you.

I love this gun.

When I was waiting for my SC Pro this showed up at the gun shop. I must have gone there to diddle it about five times.

Pro Aegis II

If my gun took another couple days to show up I would not have been able to resist.

That one sold.

I have the itch for a Glock 19 now. I want a lighter gun with hi cap mags, so I have to give the UGLY ducklings a try. I also want something simple for my wife to try out. She has a Springfield micro in 45 ACP now, great gun, but she does not shoot enough to be proficient with the 1911 platform. The glock is point and shoot so hopefully she will like that better...I know I will.

Let that be a lesson to you all. you can justify another gun...its that easy.

STI Trojan is VERY nice, you can have one for around 1k and they are built like $1,500 1911's. They have ramped barrels unlike the Spartans

What is the gun going to be used for? CC, plinking, competition

What are you looking to spend?

+1 for the Springfield

I shoot both the Springfield 9mm EMP and a Springfield Trophy Match in 9mm. Both are very reliable and very accurate.

I have a Nighthawk Talon in 9mm, and love it. Commander size, low recoil due to 9mm chambering. Fit and finish is what I expected for a gun with this price tag.
Several LE guys I know are carrying STI's and run them pretty hard. None of them have had any issues with the STI's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The STI Spartan starts out as a Rock Island.

Save your money and get the RIA 1911 in 9mm, then have it worked over the way you want. </div></div>

The Spartan's adjustable rear sight, STI trigger, hammer, sear, and disconnector alone are worth the difference between the RIA Tactical and the Spartan.

To the average person, who has to pay someone to "work over" a 1911, the cost of changing out these parts would turn a $450 gun into a $1000 one very quickly.

STI.

But I would be embarassed telling a jury that I always went out for the evening carrying a Trojan in my pocket.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The STI Spartan starts out as a Rock Island.

Save your money and get the RIA 1911 in 9mm, then have it worked over the way you want. </div></div>

The Spartan's adjustable rear sight, STI trigger, hammer, sear, and disconnector alone are worth the difference between the RIA Tactical and the Spartan.

I saw a gunshop charing more for a RIA 9mm then a Spartan one time, I laughed out loud.

To the average person, who has to pay someone to "work over" a 1911, the cost of changing out these parts would turn a $450 gun into a $1000 one very quickly. </div></div>

Many out there like others have said, off the top of my head...Springfield, Kimber, Sti, any of the custom companies can build one. I dont know much about the quality but fusion firearms offers pre fitkits (frame slide barrel and bushing)for like $650, you just put in the guts you like. Again I have no clue on quality.

Love my STI Tactical in 9mm......9mms in a 1911 platform are alot harder to get to run right than a 45 in the same platform. Just know you will probably encounter some tweaking needing to be done.

But hands down get the STI over the RIA

AMG,

I just went through this with my wife a few months ago and we ended up with Springfield EMP 9.

Her goal? A CCW gun with 9mm minimum caliber. She dislikes plastic guns(feel) and we were able to shoot all the conventional and some non conventional models out there. Sig, HK, Kimber, Nighthawk, Springfields, Colts. etc. In the end, she just really drove the EMP very very well. As I shot it as well, I was in agreement that it felt, balanced and shot well.

My impression of the Kimber Aegis, while it's an ok gun, it just doesn't(to me) tame the "recoil" of 9mm all that well. Perhaps spring rate would help. I thought the recoil of the EMP was very manageable and well tamed, despite that it's an aluminum frame gun! EMP is a 9+1 by the way!

I fired a full steel Springfield 1911 in 9mm. It was nice, but if carrying that sort of weight, I personally would just go with .45. At least with the EMP there is a significant weight savings.

We have 600-ish round through our EMP, without a SINGLE HICCUP!! at about 400 rounds, I ran various "duty ammo" through it. Winchester Ranger 115 +P+, 147gr, and 147 bonded. All cycle with ease, and accurate.

Downside to it? I *HATE* that you need that clip in the guide rod for field strip work! I like my 4.25" or 5" 1911's in .45 and I require they have GI length guide rods for true field strip purposes.

Anyway, good luck. Just thought I'd give my impressions for your shopping.

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">Downside to it? I *HATE* that you need that clip in the guide rod for field strip work! I like my 4.25" or 5" 1911's in .45 and I require they have GI length guide rods for true field strip purposes.</span>

</div></div>

+1

I did some trading and picked up a Kimber Pro Carry II, that I planned on selling to my father in law. Of course I had to put some rounds through it just to check it out. But I came upon that little allen wrench tool that had to go in the guide rod to strip it down for cleaning and my first thought was "how long before I lose this thing?"

I know someone who picked up a Taurus 1911 9mm for ISPC/USPSA comps and had all sorts of problems. They worked with him a couple of times, and finally got it running. He seemed to enjoy after it was running properly and I don't think he's had a problem since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">Downside to it? I *HATE* that you need that clip in the guide rod for field strip work! I like my 4.25" or 5" 1911's in .45 and I require they have GI length guide rods for true field strip purposes.</span>

</div></div>

+1

I did some trading and picked up a Kimber Pro Carry II, that I planned on selling to my father in law. Of course I had to put some rounds through it just to check it out. But I came upon that little allen wrench tool that had to go in the guide rod to strip it down for cleaning and my first thought was "how long before I lose this thing?"

I know someone who picked up a Taurus 1911 9mm for ISPC/USPSA comps and had all sorts of problems. They worked with him a couple of times, and finally got it running. He seemed to enjoy after it was running properly and I don't think he's had a problem since. </div></div>

But really when do you have to break down your pistol out in the mud inside the CONUS? It's not like we're in the jungles of Vietnam or something. The paperclip is annoying to need, but that's about it.

You need a punch, hammer, and small screw driver to detail strip a 1911, but nobody seems worried about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doogie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

+1

I know someone who picked up a Taurus 1911 9mm for ISPC/USPSA comps and had all sorts of problems. They worked with him a couple of times, and finally got it running. He seemed to enjoy after it was running properly and I don't think he's had a problem since. </div></div>

But really when do you have to break down your pistol out in the mud inside the CONUS? It's not like we're in the jungles of Vietnam or something. The paperclip is annoying to need, but that's about it.

You need a punch, hammer, and small screw driver to detail strip a 1911, but nobody seems worried about that. </div></div>

My thing is not so much the annoying part, but the probability of losing that clip. I just don't like having to have an extra piece to field strip a pistol.

No I am definitely not in Vietnam (actually quite the opposite), but you never know when you will need/want to pull you pistol apart. Or if you want to switch to a .22lr slide while out and about.

For EMP it's *NOT* a paperclip but a plastic semi-circle of plastic, about 3/8" long the clips onto the front end of recoil guiderod.

For CCW purposes, nope, likely never need to worry. For pleasure shooting, nope again, not too much of a problem. At home doing general maintenance - yet again, no worries. BUT. . . the clip is "specialized" piece vs the bent paperclips for that system, reverse plugs, GI length guiderods.

I like to keep my combat/carry firearms as maintenance friendly, tool-less as possible. I tried to tell that to the wife, but fell on deaf ears.(and they call us selective in our hearing!)
crazy.gif

Good part is, there is a good selection of reliable firearms!

-G45

I have considerable time shooting the Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm. It is m favorite gun to use for long sessions at the range. I used Wilson Combat mags. I have never had a malfunction with them.

Sti has a lot of nice 9 mm offerings that won't demolish a budget and are also very high end guns with a lot of options

I have been looking at the smith and Wesson 9mm, it is dreamy! Only thing holding me back is Tripp Research does not make a fixed base mag with hybrid follower like they do for the .45, and they the only mag I run. Flawless.

Not sure why downs-hero is dogging taurus. I run one as a speed shooting pistol, and so do at least 3 other guys in my club. And they all run flawlessly, other than the occasional jam on a reload. If I didn't have a red dot on mine I would carry it occasionally. but I would trash the stock mags.