• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Quality 9mm Bulk Ammo??

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
I just traded my Glock 30 for a Glock 19 so i could have a gun to both conceal, and also use for the pistol stages of some LR comps. What ammo do you guys recommend to use that is not crazy expensive for comp/training? I am leaning toward the 124gr FMJ I also want to be able to buy it in bulk.

Re: Quality 9mm Bulk Ammo??

9MM bulk FMJ for me is a whatever's clever deal, with some strict exceptions. I stay away from Magtech like the plague, and I don't know that I'd trust WWB for comp.

The Federal 115 grain bulk packs have always been fine by me. Never an issue, and it is probably the cheapest as well. I buy the 147 grain when I want to play with the suppressors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9MM bulk FMJ for me is a whatever's clever deal, with some strict exceptions. I stay away from Magtech like the plague, and I don't know that I'd trust WWB for comp.</div></div>

Why avoid Magtech? I have shot 600 rounds of their FMJ SWC in 45ACP without issue. The brass is some of the highest quality I have seen (judging by consistency of flash hole placement and finish).

No issues, but that is only 600 rounds. My handloads are more accurate, sure, but I could say that about American Eagle as well.

I am curious what the issues may be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9MM bulk FMJ for me is a whatever's clever deal, with some strict exceptions. I stay away from Magtech like the plague, and I don't know that I'd trust WWB for comp.</div></div>

Why avoid Magtech? I have shot 600 rounds of their FMJ SWC in 45ACP without issue. The brass is some of the highest quality I have seen (judging by consistency of flash hole placement and finish).

No issues, but that is only 600 rounds. My handloads are more accurate, sure, but I could say that about American Eagle as well.

I am curious what the issues may be. </div></div>

I forget the gr weight, but I had it fail to cycle a S&W 3913 that was is perfect working order. Had I actually needed it, I would have been screwed. Once bitten by a brand ...

Magtech blows..I have had multiple issues with magtech amo over various calibers and weapons.

I have been running Federal 147 JHP lately suppressed and un-suppresed quality has been excellent.

I just saw 100 pack Federal 9mm FMJ for $20 at Walmart. I don't own a 9mm but I didn't think $200 per thousand was a bad deal.

never had any problems with magtech in any of my glocks,usually buy it or the federal

MagTech does blow, CBC of Brazil is probably the worst major ammo manufacturer I've ever bought from.

My personal experiences range from velocity discrepancies of over 75 FPS to bullets unseating on several calibers due to complete lack of any crimp and misshaped necks.

If you're going to compete, you need veloctiy consistency to make sure that you always qualify for the power factor of the match. An underpressured round can ruin that for you if you are tuning your gun close to the minimum.

Yah sure, the ammo usually goes bang, but it is not QUALITY ammo by any stretch of the definition.

I haven't seen anybody mention Blazer ammo, How does that stuff compare? Because I got a place local that has a fairly good price on it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't seen anybody mention Blazer ammo, How does that stuff compare? Because I got a place local that has a fairly good price on it </div></div>

Blazer is made by CCI, it's their entry level brand, like UMC for Remington and American Eagle for Federal.

9mm Blazer comes in both brass and aluminum casings, the aluminum stuff can be bought ridiculously cheap sometimes.

It's good stuff, the brass loadings are definitely equivalent to the other major American brands. The aluminum isn't popular except for people who are cheap but have heard steel case horror stories.