• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality brand names

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I'm mostly a bolt rifle type guy. But I have been seriously considering getting an ar15 to add to the arsenal. I want to buy one locally on the used market, to save on taxes,fees and $$ for buying something brand new. I'm looking to spend around 1k for just the rifle. So Im guessing that puts me in the 1200-1500 new value range.

This isn't yet another 'what ar15 should I get' threads.

I am simply asking for a <span style="font-weight: bold">compiled list of brands categorized by their quality</span> into:
    1. All their products are GTG
    2. be cautious with some of their products
    3. stay away from their products.

For example, if someone asked me this question for 308 bolt rifles in this price range I would tell them any heavy barrel savage 10 or remington 700 would be GTG, while any of the cheaper savages/remingtons bought at walmart/dicks fit into the #2 and honestly I don't know what would fit into the garbage category for 308 bolt rifles. (pretty hard to mess those up!)

I'm looking for something that is inherently accurate BUT not necessarily a target version( so under 20" barrel). So basically a minimum of 16" and probably prefer an 18".

My local online listings have 10's of ar15's a day, so its becoming hard to sort through. Seems like every other rifle that is sold is a DPMS, which from my research is not a brand thats 100% known for reliability/quality.

Re: Quality brand names

Oh shit see I was going to put DPMS on the GTG list!

Only thing I have had to replace was a gas ring. Which I can say was my fault 100% something about 1000+ rounds with in 3 months without lubing the BCG!

PS most AR parts are made from very few companys! The just have different names on the lowers. So most of the time your just paying for the name.

DPMS Panther Arms was acquired by the private investment firm Cerberus Capital Management as of Dec. 14th, 2007, Cerberus combined <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">DPMS</span></span> with Bushmaster Firearms International, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Remington Arms</span></span> and Cobb Manufacturing to form the Freedom Group.
    whistle.gif
    whistle.gif
    whistle.gif

My Rock River Arms is pretty accurate and from my experience and that of some of my friends who have their stuff it shoots almost any ammo well (steel included). I haven't shot tens of thousands of rounds through it so I can't say how durable it is but I'm happy so far. Only thing I don't like on it is it has an older style quad rail that is big and heavy. I paid 1,000 new with most of the bells and whistles so you could easily find one for less. I'd say it's GTG from my usage so far but that usage is pretty minimal (couple thousand rounds in a year or so).

Here's a review on them and my experience mimics what the review says. (lots of accuracy testing 2/3 of the way through with different loads)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLDPl0rguAE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh shit see I was going to put DPMS on the GTG list!

Only thing I have had to replace was a gas ring. Which I can say was my fault 100% something about 1000+ rounds with in 3 months without lubing the BCG!

PS most AR parts are made from very few companys! The just have different names on the lowers. So most of the time your just paying for the name.

DPMS Panther Arms was acquired by the private investment firm Cerberus Capital Management as of Dec. 14th, 2007, Cerberus combined <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">DPMS</span></span> with Bushmaster Firearms International, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Remington Arms</span></span> and Cobb Manufacturing to form the Freedom Group.
    whistle.gif
    whistle.gif
    whistle.gif
    </div></div>

But how accurate are their stock barrels? I guess thats what will set apart some of the firearms. From everything I have heard the DPMS and bushmaster rifles don't have the greatest barrels. Are most the barrels they put out good enough to shoot <1moa, or is it hit or miss like many cheaper brands are.

From what I have been told DPMS stands for Don't Purchase Me Stupid haha. But you can't go wrong with Colt, LMT, and LWRC IMO.

Ok. What about the put together rifles. Should I stay away from those? Or as long as its all quality names I should be ok?

Stag is really good. They're one of the few AR manufacturers that support lefties, and make outstanding products as well. A lot of my business now goes to Stag.

Daniel Defense. PWS. Both good to go. I have a DD 16" CHF Chrome Lined on my AR and it does everything I've wanted it to do since putting it together. My friend has a PWS MK114 and it is a very nice quality carbine. Zero recoil. I also have a PWS FSC556 on my carbine, and it rocks.

For what it's worth, some guys at the range came to us earlier this evening to help them problem solve a DPMS carbine with a HARD FTE using Tula steel cased ammo...
    whistle.gif

Does this seem like a good package for a good deal?

RRA

Its actually a 1:9 twist and not 1:7 like he has listed, but it does have an upgraded chrome BCG that he doesn't have listed. Supposedly around 60 rounds through it.

Not a bad price on the RRA if those are options you are looking for. RRA makes a very good product for the price.

Hog

If you want that exact gun with those accessories it's a good price. The barrels shoot almost anything well so I wouldn't worry to much about the twist rate. I'd ask if the rear sight is included because most RRA rifles come with the folding gas block and the rear sight for the rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am simply asking for a <span style="font-weight: bold">compiled list of brands categorized by their quality</span> into:
    1. All their products are GTG
    2. be cautious with some of their products
    3. stay away from their products.
    </div></div>
    I've had a basic flat top Armalite AR-10 and have been nothing but impressed with the rifle and the accuracy, it well surpasses the factory guarentee! They also have a great reputation for customer service in the odd chance you would have an issue during the lifetime guarentee. When I was pricing rifles I noticed I could get the DPMS cheaper but when I started comparing features the Armalite would have things like chrome lined bores as standard where you paid a little more for the option with DPMS. just my experience.

You can get a daniel defense or bravo company for 1500 or less. Both have quality parts. The dd's I own can shoot better than I can (I like eotech on my ars). A buddy of mine runs two bravo companies and he loves them. The thing I like about these brands is they hold their value/desirability over some of the other brands. Bushmaster; RRA; Spike etc (judging by gunbroker prices and used availability). The best is to assemble yourself out of quality parts....problem being....it's value will be to you. Not that I plan on selling my guns....but you never know what the lord has in store for you.

my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    But how accurate are their stock barrels? I guess thats what will set apart some of the firearms. From everything I have heard the DPMS and bushmaster rifles don't have the greatest barrels. Are most the barrels they put out good enough to shoot <1moa, or is it hit or miss like many cheaper brands are. </div></div>

Just like most guns factory barrels can be a hit or miss. Another thing to look at is who's shooting the AR and what type of ammo are they using! You can't expect the steel case crap to group. I have owned 2 DPMS and both have shot just as good or tighter then my bolts do.

5 at 100 DPMS Sweet16 55gr BTHP #1390 24grs Benchmark cci 400 2.255 long
    IMG_20120826_154913.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MR JOSHUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I have been told DPMS stands for Don't Purchase Me Stupid haha. But you can't go wrong with Colt, LMT, and LWRC IMO. </div></div>
    I don't even remember seeing a tight group from a Colt?????? IF anyone has one please post it.

Your best bet is to stick with company's that haven't put the AR platform on the back burner like Colt and S&W have!

RRA,DPMS,Busch,Stag and of course the higher priced names LMT, and LWRC! Are all good and don't forget you have a lot of companys that will build you one exactly like you want and are shooters. I can say Scott from Specialized Dynamics can put together a shooter for sure (Lilja barrels) IF..and I do mean IF you can put up with his BS CS! D-Tech uppers Mike can build you a upper that will shoot with the best in industry and uses Shilen barrels. Only problem is he only does uppers so you will have to buy a lower.

Best advice is buy one that fits your needs the best! If your just going to run and gun with it then just about any AR will do (S&W, Colt mainly for their resale value). BUT if your wanting small groups go with the more trusted names or a "custom" upper. AR's are so easily changed a new barrel is just a phone call away. "AR's are like Savage is to bolt actions!"

Ok thanks for your guys recommendations.

I dont want a put together one because resale slur is important to me. I don't plan on selling it, but for my financial mind, the best way to justify a rifle I absolutely don't need is by knowing I will lose minimally on it.