• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Quality miniature drill press?

Waorani

Crusty Caballero
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Greenbow, AL
I've got a Bridgeport and full-size drill presses but in the market for a micro/miniature drill press for small work. Quick google search returns what looks like a bunch of cheap junk but I figure there has to be something quality out there?

Gonna be interesting following this potential for a contradiction in terms. Something along the lines of 'jewelers grade' maybe? As in, 'watchmaker' type stuff? Very precise, and very tiny. And robust, all at the same time.

Gonna be interesting following this potential for a contradiction in terms. Something along the lines of 'jewelers grade' maybe? As in, 'watchmaker' type stuff? Very precise, and very tiny. And robust, all at the same time.
Jeweler/watchmaker is in the right direction but might be on the extreme side of small!

Or build one with precision electric (or air: i.e. die grinder) motor, chuck or collet adapter, arbor press, small X-Y or rotary table or a small vise.

Last edited:
I "acquired" one of these years ago when my job required me to do some machine work, and I could order anything I needed.............

Albrecht, 0-3..........fits any 1/2 chuck..
IMG_2389.jpg
IMG_2390.jpg
.........pricey, I think I used it to drill 2 holes.......

Reactions: Ravenworks
An option might be one that holds a dremel. I have a large freestanding & benchtop that pretty much do everything I need drilling. On the topic, I've invested in some quality cobalt bits from Drill Hog (usually from eBay, you can make offers on listings and usually get a discount) they come with lifetime warranty! Cobalt are hard, thus brittle, but they have replaced them for me. I try not to use them in hand drills.

I didn't want to be the guy that mentioned dremel but I have their drill press and it works just fine.

It's nothing like a quality piece of cast iron engineering but, again, it works for light work - which is all a dremel and associated bits can handle. I'm talking about ~2mm and much smaller bits.

I've had it, and been happy with it, for almost 20 years. Your idea of micro/miniature work may be different to mine.

Thanks all, several good suggestions. Didn't know Servo made small drill presses (really liking those) and hadn't heard of Cameron or Aciera. I've set up searches for all on ebay and will keep an eye out for a deal. I saw an older Micro Mark years ago and wasn't impressed but the current model looks like it might have potential.

Speaking of the Dremel option, occurred to me last night I have a Foredom and they make a press for it but I think I'd prefer a dedicated mini press.

An option might be one that holds a dremel. I have a large freestanding & benchtop that pretty much do everything I need drilling. On the topic, I've invested in some quality cobalt bits from Drill Hog (usually from eBay, you can make offers on listings and usually get a discount) they come with lifetime warranty! Cobalt are hard, thus brittle, but they have replaced them for me. I try not to use them in hand drills.

I didn't want to be the guy that mentioned dremel but I have their drill press and it works just fine.

It's nothing like a quality piece of cast iron engineering but, again, it works for light work - which is all a dremel and associated bits can handle. I'm talking about ~2mm and much smaller bits.

I've had it, and been happy with it, for almost 20 years. Your idea of micro/miniature work may be different to mine.

I was thinking the same thing.

I see that the Dremel drill press attachment was mentioned above but Foredom makes a really nice shaft tool, and they also have a drill press attachment that holds the hand piece. this would get you two great tools with a lot of versatility. RioGrande is a big jewelry tool supply firm, and they sell Foredom. I believe these are made in the USA as well.

Ask them if they would drop at a local UPS Store... and you can pay them to package and ship.

I've never found a seller that for a few bucks won't take something to a UPS store...

Sirhr
I'll think about that. Seller has lots of other cool stuff, some of which they offer shipping on and others, not. Looking closer at pics it's probably bigger than I first thought.

I've looked at the Proxxon but like the MicroLux, reviews are mixed. At the moment I'm leaning towards a Servo

Reactions: Maxwell
Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Get your projects done 6X faster! :ROFLMAO:
Little bigger than I'm looking for but a turret press would be cool to have.

Scratched this itch and picked up a used Servo. Smaller than I would have guessed but seems to be well made (ought to be for $2k new!!). 200 - 20,000 rpm and supposedly some way to go down to 10 rpm but haven't figured that out yet or if I'm reading right. And it has the nice little Albrecht 0-3 chuck mentioned above.

IMG_1324.jpg