• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Quality SFP Hunting Scope

dill84

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2005
I’m trying to get some ideas for a durable hunting scope that will mainly be used for hunting 100yds and under but possible trips with shots beyond 300yds. I’m thinking SFP 2x-10x, so I don’t have issues with a fine reticle or worrying about battery to light up a FFP on low power. Capped or locking turrets when or if I decide I want to dial. Budget is below 1k. I’m not opposed to illumination or FFP if it’s very usable on the lowest power with a dead battery. Durability and ease of use at closer ranges are the important parts. It seems as you spend more, a basic simple effective hunting scope is harder to find without the remote start and heated seats.

I mean, a vx-3hd 3.5-10 will do what you want. Only shit thing is the turret is 1 revolution, so you can only dial 14.5moa. But, it's also only 13oz.

I put a 4.5-14 on my kids Tikka 6.5 Creed. He can dial to 650 yards with a 200 yard zero. We primarily hunt open terrain where 2-400 yard shots are normal.

Screenshot_20230930-121344-299.png

Reactions: General RE LEE
As in there's a few very vocal arken fans and a ton of guys that don't trust the scope or the guys suggesting them?

Or as in quit asking questions that keep getting repeated?

I've got the Burris shim rings on a couple rifles now. I like them.

Anyone know if a 30 moa rail will keep me low enough in the revs to be on the first revolution? Or have an idea of where it will leave me at for a 50 yard zero? Obviously they're all a little different, but....

Something in the Burris Fullfield IV line will fit the requirements.
I JUST picked one up for my .350 Legend, Michigan deer hunting! It's a 2.5-10, three hash marks going down with a tiny windage dot on either side of the hash marks, and an illuminated reticle!!!! Plus, 90% of the above the horizontal is open...... 189$ at Eurooptic.....very nice Burris glass, but I expected that!;);););)

My favorite hunting scope is the 3-15x50 Burris Veracity with the E1 FFP reticle. it is easily seen at low power at the limits of legal shooting with a wooded background. It has no battery and is the only FFP hunting scope that i would recommend at low power without illumination (it doesn't have illumination) at the limits of legal shooting. it is a great hunting reticle!!! It totally whipped my Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX3i and Zeiss V4 4-16x44 in low light.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the help I’d really like to stay near 2x at low power. I’m leaning toward a burris offering or possibly a vx5. Does anyone know if the Nightforce SHV and NXS have a locking turret?

Last edited:
I JUST picked one up for my .350 Legend, Michigan deer hunting! It's a 2.5-10, three hash marks going down with a tiny windage dot on either side of the hash marks, and an illuminated reticle!!!! Plus, 90% of the above the horizontal is open...... 189$ at Eurooptic.....very nice Burris glass, but I expected that!;);););)
Just checked.....they still have them....188.99$;););););)

Here's a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 , that's nice and light-weight, with a simple Duplex Reticle.

This Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 would also be good, if you want no-battery powered illumination.

Both of these scopes are more basic, without the, "Remote start and heated seats." :ROFLMAO:

I’m trying to get some ideas for a durable hunting scope that will mainly be used for hunting 100yds and under but possible trips with shots beyond 300yds. I’m thinking SFP 2x-10x, so I don’t have issues with a fine reticle or worrying about battery to light up a FFP on low power. Capped or locking turrets when or if I decide I want to dial. Budget is below 1k. I’m not opposed to illumination or FFP if it’s very usable on the lowest power with a dead battery. Durability and ease of use at closer ranges are the important parts. It seems as you spend more, a basic simple effective hunting scope is harder to find without the remote start and heated seats.
Athlon Helos 2-12x42 FFP with easy to see useable reticle with a close 10 yard minimum side focus parallax and has a zero stop. Currently on sale for $449.99 at Cameraland. Perfectly useable hunting scope especially with it's unique easy to see FFP reticle design and close focus adjustable parallax. Lifetime warranty including it's electronics/ illuminated reticle. You wanted a 2-10x and this suggestion is absolutely spot on when using it as a 2-10x. Image quality starts to soften past 10-11x.

I wouldn't recommend any other 2x starting magnification scope unless it at least has a close focus parallax ability for shooting under 100 yards.

The other scope I'd recommend is the Meopta Optika 5 2-10x with side focus parallax and Z Plus reticle for last sale I've seen them for $299-$350 at B&H Photo however no zero stop and it's a SFP without any illumination. Glass is exceptional on this one just like a Leupold VX5 HD. Lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Gustav7
Get something that has a lifetime-no-questions-asked warranty. When hunting you'll be naturally stress testing it. If it fails, know the scope can be repaired/replaced at no added cost. Leupold, Vortex, etc. I have a Leupold VX5 on my Model 70 30-06 with their simple duplex reticle, albeit 3-15x.

Reactions: Scopeye
I appreciate all the replies. I’m leaning toward the Athlon or Burris options as they are at the lower end of the price range with an LE/Mil account

Reactions: FNG1001
I appreciate all the replies. I’m leaning toward the Athlon or Burris options as they are at the lower end of the price range with an LE/Mil account
Good to know you qualify to buy through Expert Voice. You can probably get the 2-12x42 Athlon Helos for closer to $300.

Look up YouTube review by C_DOES on this Athlon Helos 2-12x42. He liked it so much he even ended up buying two of them.

Reactions: Faith7
why 2x?
SWFA SS 6x42 would be the under $500 suggestion
You didn’t list a price range so S&B Klassik 3-12 with P3 reticle is what I’d go with, $1500 or so

Steiner predator is really nice. Think they call it the ranger in Europe. About the best besides
Maybe Meopta meostar not sure what the meopta goes for anymore

Just went through this not long ago. Found a new factory left over Sig whisky5 2-10 MOA reticle SFP. Made by low in Japan. Locking turret, illuminated reticle, compact, great glass, tracking has been perfect, 21 oz with battery. Very pleased with this scope and hate they discontinued them, I’d probably have a few more.

I mean, a vx-3hd 3.5-10 will do what you want. Only shit thing is the turret is 1 revolution, so you can only dial 14.5moa. But, it's also only 13oz.

I put a 4.5-14 on my kids Tikka 6.5 Creed. He can dial to 650 yards with a 200 yard zero. We primarily hunt open terrain where 2-400 yard shots are normal.

View attachment 8238761

Got one on my 30-06. Light but does all I need.

Athlon Helos 2-12x42 FFP with easy to see useable reticle with a close 10 yard minimum side focus parallax and has a zero stop. Currently on sale for $449.99 at Cameraland. Perfectly useable hunting scope especially with it's unique easy to see FFP reticle design and close focus adjustable parallax. Lifetime warranty including it's electronics/ illuminated reticle. You wanted a 2-10x and this suggestion is absolutely spot on when using it as a 2-10x. Image quality starts to soften past 10-11x.

I wouldn't recommend any other 2x starting magnification scope unless it at least has a close focus parallax ability for shooting under 100 yards.

The other scope I'd recommend is the Meopta Optika 5 2-10x with side focus parallax and Z Plus reticle for last sale I've seen them for $299-$350 at B&H Photo however no zero stop and it's a SFP without any illumination. Glass is exceptional on this one just like a Leupold VX5 HD. Lifetime warranty.
I have a few. They track repeatedly and I like the reticle but they are HEAVY

demo nf shv or trijicon credo accupoint (or tenmile if you can find on sale) for around 1k. Both those brands are solid and reliable. Definitely not an athlon or leupold that will lose zero driving on the forest road in the back of your truck or the first time you set your rifle down to glass.