• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quest for 2 miles

Casamike

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2017
Indiana
What ranges can a guy go to shoot 2 miles?

It’s a bit of a long story but I recently inherited 2 ELR rifles, a .338 Lapua and a .50 BMG from a lifelong shooting buddy that passed unexpectedly. I’ve been charged by our friend group with the task of completing the goal our late friend had, which was taking both of these rifles out to 2 miles.

I live in NW Indiana so obviously nowhere near me (that I’m aware of) gets any distance even close to 2 miles.

I have dabbled in ELR out just passed a mile with short action cartridges, but this is my first go with these big fellas. I am a fairly experienced reloader and have a pile of components for both rifles. There is a 750 yard range nearish me that I can use for testing.

Once load development and testing is done, where can I do to actually attempt this 2 mile goal? I’ll go pretty much anywhere in the country if I have to. Not looking for a competition, just a range that will let me make an attempt on my own. Double bonus points for any place that has target cameras and friendly staff.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Thanks, I did see this place also, I sent an email but haven’t heard back yet. Will likely try calling them soon.

If you needed guidance and willing to spend the money that course with Chase Stroud would be awesome I'm sure.

I have been to RebelRidgeOutfitters, as well as Hawks Double Mountain ranch (hdmr). I like both of them, because you can take your time and shoot as you desire. HDMR provided a spotter.

I also have shot in some ELR competitions. There is one near you, at Camp Atterbury...run by the central indiana high power rifle shooters (cihprs) group.

I shoot by myself, and at ELR ranging, swear by the Caldwell "Flashbang" LED indicators. They are cheap ($30) and work well, even with lots of mirage.

Last edited:
Even though it’s in my home state I’ve never been to Atterbury, there has always been rumors that unless you are military, you aren’t welcome at Atterbury, but having not been there I don’t know if it’s true.

Even though it’s in my home state I’ve never been to Atterbury, there has always been rumors that unless you are military, you aren’t welcome at Atterbury, but having not been there I don’t know if it’s true.
I shot a couple ELR matches there last year, longest distance available was about 2200 yards. There are 2-3 there this year along with other kinds of matches scheduled there . Some NRA matches being held there.