• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question? 6x47 lapua or 6 creed

Jmkjr87

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    I got a ruger rpr that has everything changed out on it except the original bolt, screws and obviously action. I got a krieger 308 barrel thats 30 inch long. So i like it but im thinking on going to either 6x47lapua or 6 creed. Im leaning towards 6x47 lapua but cant decide on how long of a barrel. Prolly gonna go with either a heavy palma or m24 type profile, and maybe 28 inch barrel. With my seekins atc brake ill come in about 30inch total. So what is the optimum barrel length for those calibers when your trying to get as much speed as possible but not tearing up the brass. Id like to shoot 105 grain bergers around 3000 fps or 109 grain sierra matchkings about 3000 fps. What does the hide think on the matter

If you go 6x47, make sure you use a trusted reamer spec. I personally recommend the Erik Cortina reamer. It retains all the dimensions of the 6.5x47 except it has a .274 neck and .150 freebore.

To give you an example of how different specs can be, here is a virgin piece of 6.5x47 in a 6.5 and 6x47 sizing die. Both made by Redding.

BC6B1D5F-4332-4C22-93B1-F1B3472443F4.jpeg

I'm definitely interested in following this as well. GT has been pretty accurate but I'm pretty disappointed in the performance I've gotten from it out of two different barrel so I'm starting to research other stuff.

I'm definitely interested in following this as well. GT has been pretty accurate but I'm pretty disappointed in the performance I've gotten from it out of two different barrel so I'm starting to research other stuff.

what about the GT disappoints?

what about the GT disappoints?

The speed, I can't even get close to 2900. Its accurate enough. Its not frustrating enough to make an immediate switch but its enough to at least have me looking into options once the off season starts. We'll see what kind of barrel life I get out of it as well.

Reactions: DJ 480 and z28kid
    If you reload, go with 6x47L. If you're wanting to shoot factory, go with a 6CM.

I love it when they say the 6x47L is finicky...... okay buddy...

I haven't changed my charge weight in 1700 rounds with current barrel. Pushing 115 DTAC's at 3k. It's going about 2970 now. Have other barrels that I took off at 2k rounds. Not because it stop shooting, I just rather put components into a new barrel vs seeing when the old one will die...

If you reload, go with 6x47L. If you're wanting to shoot factory, go with a 6CM.

I haven't changed my charge weight in 1700 rounds with current barrel. Pushing 115 DTAC's at 3k. It's going about 2970 now. Have other barrels that I took off at 2k rounds. Not because it stop shooting, I just rather put components into a new barrel vs seeing when the old one will die...

Same. I jumped on 6x47 after gt didn’t go as well as I hoped. I’m at 1k rnds on barrel and haven’t had any “finnicky” issues. Here is throat after 1k 109’s going 2950:

16FEBF9D-C2DB-4738-8F9D-6AE59F3FC801.jpeg

I handload so i dont care about factory ammo

If you go 6x47, make sure you use a trusted reamer spec. I personally recommend the Erik Cortina reamer. It retains all the dimensions of the 6.5x47 except it has a .274 neck and .150 freebore.

To give you an example of how different specs can be, here is a virgin piece of 6.5x47 in a 6.5 and 6x47 sizing die. Both made by Redding.

View attachment 7371464
    Whats going on in this picture, can u explain this

View attachment 7371464
    I get it now, i looked at that picture when i first woke up and i looked again and it makes sense now

What barrel length are you running. My rifle will be a bench gun, prs type gun so length and weight aint a huge deal. Im thinking 28 inch