• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

question about 10/22

Buck44

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2011
I recently bought a 10/22 with an intregle suppressor. Bought a hogue stock, volquartsen trigger,mounted a zeiss scope. It shoots like crap. Don't get me wrong it will shoot decent at times.... but about every 6 shells it has a flier. When it does this it is twice as loud. ITs almost like the reciever is not closed.
I did not float the stock as i didn't think it mattered on a 22. Im guessing im wrong.
Ammo. I have tried a lot of stuff but the green box remingtons seem to work the best. I need something hallow point for varmit and squirrel hunting. ANy suggestions?

Re: question about 10/22

You might invest in a rim thickness gauge. Bulk ammo can vary widely giving you fliers. I like CCI stuff in general, but have had good luck with Federal, Wolf, and Aguila too.

Try Federal 711B or auto match. They seem to work well in the 10/22. Auto match can be picked up at wal mart so that's always nice too.

And yes floating the barrel on a 22 matters. It's a real rifle and should be treated as such, ie. dont take any shortcuts in assembly...

An integral .22 rifle can/should be the quietest, most accurate in the world.

In order to be the least bit helpful I'm going to need some information.

1. Whose can? Why is this important? Well, I need to know if the can is working off of multiple ports or a single. I need to know if the can is holding the barrel under compression or its just a static can. I need to know if it has turned surface baffles or is another monocore, I need to know about can pressure etc. etc.

2. In the barrel diameter standard, in other does the unit fit in a stock stock? If it is a stock Ruger stock and the barrel fits, that is important.

3. What mount, at what range?

THanks

It was done by Johns Guns in Texas. I really have no idea about the details. I can take pictures and send them if it helps. It fit ok in the stock,stock but was tight in the hogue. I did not float and I am pretty sure that the bolt was not very happy going into the end of the stock. I know I didn't torque to any specs either. I learned about that recently.

About the federal ammo... can i get that in hollow point?

Thanks in advance. I have a lot of money invested in this gun for the perfromance I am getting out of it.

Hello,

You have several options to help with the accuracy. one is to replace the barrel with a match grade 1022 barrel. They can be had in the sport rifle contour. On the other hand you can get a varmint or .920 barrel, but it requires mods to your current rifle. The price runs from $80 to over $400. Watch out because mod-ing your 1022 can get on the crazy side. Also some people can rechamber and crown your current barrel for under $100. The ruger 1022s come from the factory with sport chambers except for the heavy barreled models.

Regards, John

Since it is a new integral suppressed barrel I don't want to change it... Im looking to improve what I have. Thanks

Following this too,,,same gun, same supressor from same guy in TX, same stock, same issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Federal 711B or auto match. They seem to work well in the 10/22. Auto match can be picked up at wal mart so that's always nice too.

And yes floating the barrel on a 22 matters. It's a real rifle and should be treated as such, ie. dont take any shortcuts in assembly... </div></div>

+1. The federal auto match shoots great in my 10/22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was done by Johns Guns in Texas. I really have no idea about the details. I can take pictures and send them if it helps. It fit ok in the stock,stock but was tight in the hogue. I did not float and I am pretty sure that the bolt was not very happy going into the end of the stock. I know I didn't torque to any specs either. I learned about that recently.

About the federal ammo... can i get that in hollow point?

Thanks in advance. I have a lot of money invested in this gun for the perfromance I am getting out of it. </div></div>I have Federal .22 ammo that is hollow point. i believe it is 36 grain, high velocity.

Lets see if I can help here.

I have yet to see a quality integral .22 that <span style="font-style: italic">isn't</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">wider </span>in diameter than a standard Ruger <span style="font-weight: bold">Bull</span> Barrel. In others words, if your integral fits into a standard Ruger stock, don't expect too much in the way of suppression.

I would recommend that you send this full unit back to the manufacturer and have him go through it and report back. If he can run 50 rounds through it without the same issues, well I'll be surprised.

I don't mind the quietness. I am happy with that except for one out of 10 shells it is twice as loud and the bullet always flies off. At first I thought it was a shell loaded hot but now I think it might be the chamber flying open prematurely.

the remington golden bullet is about the only thing my 10/22 will shoot consistantly. i have the same problem with other brands not firing or having a flier

It sounds to me like a headspace issue that could be caused by either the bolt or the ammo that having inconsistent rim thickness. What you're getting might be a combination of a short headspaced bolt in conjunction with an excessively thick rim.

In short, try better ammo. I wouldn't worry too much about insisting on the ammo being HPs. .22 ammo is pretty soft as it is and a squirrel isn't going to be able to tell the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently bought a 10/22 with an intregle suppressor. Bought a hogue stock, volquartsen trigger,mounted a zeiss scope. <span style="color: #FF0000">It shoots like crap</span>. Don't get me wrong it will shoot decent at times.... but about every 6 shells it has a flier. When it does this it is twice as loud. ITs almost like the reciever is not closed.
I did not float the stock as i didn't think it mattered on a 22. Im guessing im wrong.
Ammo. I have tried a lot of stuff but the green box remingtons seem to work the best. I need something hallow point for varmit and squirrel hunting. ANy suggestions? </div></div>

Shoots like crap because its a 10/22. Ruger's tolerances suck balls. Do yourself a favor and purchase a bolt gun. You will be much happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shoots like crap because its a 10/22. Ruger's tolerances suck balls. Do yourself a favor and purchase a bolt gun. You will be much happier.</div></div>

Well, that was constructive.

In any case, what types of ammunition have you tried? Most of the inexpensive types of ammunition will vary in rim thickness by .005ths or more. You could try some Eley. I measured a box of black box last night and they all came in at .039 rim thickness. At least this would narrow it down.